START OF SOMETHING NEW

INFINITE Relationships
 
“ Why would he do that ? ” Sungkyu asked Dongwoo. The older received a message from him ;
 
From : Dongwoo-ssi : )
 
            Gyugyu hyung ㅠㅠ something happened ! Are you busy?
 
He had no time to send a reply since he was needed for a meeting. He saw Hoya passing down by the hallway and immediately asked him to take Dongwoo to his apartment. He knows Hoya doesn’t have any idea who the heck he was talking about but rather he gave the tracking codes from Dongwoo’s phone to use as his destination for him.
 
Half an hour has passed after his conference meeting ended, he received an information from Hoya that the latter has found Dongwoo and now on their way to his apartment.
 
Sungkyu had known Dongwoo since their fourth year in an all-male high school. They weren’t literally classmates though. The two just happened to be in the same platoon for CAT ( Citizen’s Army Training ) that was a requirement for every senior high school students. He was the commanding officer for their group and at that time, he had given Dongwoo lots and loads of push-ups, squats and even duck walks as punishments. Reason? Whenever Sungkyu announces for ‘Attention!’, the other cadets would stand still. Unlike Dongwoo who would but after two-three seconds, will start to smile and burst out laughing. He remembered the time he approached him,
 
“ First Lieutenant Jang! ”
 
“ Sir, yes Sir?! ” Dongwoo saluted while posing a smile curved upon his lips.
 
“ May I ask you some things? ”
 
“ Sir, anything Sir. ”
 
“ I was wondering, were you enjoying the punishments such as push-ups and more? Why don’t you learn not to smile in serious matters and lessons like these? ”
 
“ I can’t help it Sir. I am really trying, but I can’t pretend or hide my happiness. ”
 
“ But you need to okay? This is not about pretending or hiding what you truly feel but rather learning. Try more Jang. The first ranked officers and leaders will come later and I don’t want you to be scolded. ”
 
“ Why? ” Dongwoo asked, suddenly feeling a little gloomy. “ Just because we’re in the same platoon and I wou – I would bring the others down? ”
 
“ No. ” Sungkyu said sternly as he held Dongwoo’s shoulders. “ Because I care. Whenever I see the smiles that you give every training, I feel they were more than enough to ease all the fatigue of the upcoming tiresome day. I get affected by how you’d easily laughed off at about almost everything. I can see you from afar. I’ve been specially watching you since the moment I realized that there was something in you, which I do not know what or why do I even feel it. ”
 
“ That was something friends would do and share about. ”
 
And right then, Sungkyu knew that Dongwoo would be a one of a kind friend. “ Then let’s be friends. ”
 
“ Can you just call me Dongwoo? I promise I will work harder if we became friends. ”
 
“ Alright Dongwoo-ah. Now let’s go. ”
 
“ What do I call you? ” asked Dongwoo while they were heading back to the base camp.
 
“ Address me as your hyung, you kiddo. I am older than you. ”
 
“ Don’t you have a name Kim hyung?  I only know you’re a Kim. ” Dongwoo indicated while pointing at the name badge that was patched on Sungkyu’s camouflage uniform.
 
“ Sung Kyu. ”
 
“ Kim Sung Kyu? ”
 
“ Hmm. ” he hummed as a yes while leading the younger back. Only a few more stairs to their location.
 
“ Gyugyu ? ”
 
“ No. ”
 
“ Gyu-hyung? ”
 
“ I’ll think about it. Hurry up now! Double time first lieutenant Jang! ”
 
 
“ That was your father’s reason and decision? Why would he do that ? ” Sungkyu asked Dongwoo.
 
“ For my brother’s safety keeping. ”
 
“ That’s bullsh*t Dongwoo! No parents would make that kind of decision. They weren’t thinking right! Even I wouldn’t agree if they will do it me and Myungsoo. Tomorrow, I’m going to talk to your parents. That’s final ! ”
 
“ Hyung don’t. What if things might get worse? Woohyun might be badly affected by this. I didn’t even tell him what happened. And besides, I can’t go back home anymore. ”
 
Sunggyu thinks for a moment while staring down at Dongwoo. “ No. ”
 
“ Huh what? Hyung! Please! ” he was nearly crying and begging.
 
“ I can’t talk to your parents tomorrow. Maybe some other day. I forgot it’s my birthday tomorrow. ”
 
Dongwoo started to smile now. “ It’s okay hyung. I’ve also forgotten about your birthday tomorrow. Good thing you’ve mentioned it. I’m getting hungry, let’s go eat. ”
 
“ What?! You! Aish. ” But the boy already made his way downstairs. ‘ I will talk to your parents Dongwoo-ah. Not today, can’t tomorrow. But within this week. ’ Sungkyu was quite fuming mad. He dislikes the way Dongwoo’s parents treat their own sons. He feels like they are neglecting Dongwoo, to think he’s the first born, all authorities should be given to him. He even remembered that one time when Dongwoo invited him over to celebrate the younger’s birthday but was soon cancelled when his father said he can’t just simply invite anyone. So he decided to take Dongwoo out on a trip to Jeju. I need to straightened up their attitudes. But right now, I need my preparations for my birthday celebration tomorrow. ’
 
 
 
Only the ticking of the clock and wind coming out from the electric fan can be heard. Hoya was sitting on that one sofa his home has, and by the end was Sungjong, quietly tapping his thighs with both of his hands, feeling nervous. As for Woohyun, Sungyeol and Myungsoo, they were kneeling, LITERALLY kneeling down in front of Hoya.
 
“ Talk. While you still can. ”
 
And on cue the three started talking together at the point of nearly shouting in chorus. “ Ya! ” he shouted which shut them up again. Sungjong tried to inch closer to Hoya, planning to calm him down.
 
“ Don’t you all go to school?! Weren’t manners taught to you? ” Hoya won’t make this passed. Even his own brother Sungyeol and his boss’s brother was there too.
 
“ Hyung. We weren’t stripping him. He was the one taking his clothes off and we were just trying to stop him. It's not his fault, but rather our mistake. Believe in me hyung. I may be like this but I am your brother. If there were CCTV cameras here in our small, compact but loved home, you would be able to watch it. But right now, I want you to watch my eyes and my heart instead, oh please hyung for I speak of the truth! ” explained Sungyeol, even making his voice sound like he was going to cry.
 
It was Myungsoo’s turn. He clasped his hands next to his lips. “ Hoya-ssi. You know me. You know where I come from. If I am to be involved in such hideous crimes, you know whom to tell. ”
 
“ I . . ” Woohyun looked at Hoya with pleading eyes, still kneeling. “ I .. Nam Woo Hyun, deeply apologizes, beg for forgiveness and asks for mercy from you oh mighty Hoya, due to the unwanted, inexcusable and inhumane act that I did upon your beloved gracious youngest sibling Sungjong. ” closing it while bowing down his head.
 
Hoya turned to faced Sungjong who was sitting by his side. “ Ah, hyung. It was really like that. Please? ” he pouted and never once did that fails Hoya.
 
He sighed. “ Alright. You can leave now. ” the three took their stand. “ Sungjong, I need to buy food for our dinner. If I leave you here, I don’t know what might happen again. But if I bring you along, your fever might trigger again, and you might start feeling unwell. ”
 
“ We’ll buy it. ” Woohyun suggested and Hoya raised his brow again to this fellow.
 
“ I’m not sure Woohyun honey baby ”
 
Woohyun’s eyes were enlarged upon hearing that. Myungsoo gulped at his dried throat. While Sungjong suddenly felt like fainting, he held onto Sungyeol’s arm.
 
“ Eh ? ” it was what only Woohyun could say.
 
“ I said I’m not sure. I don’t know what you might put in there too. ”
 
Woohyun raised his head feeling proud, “ The – then .. come along with me so , .. so that , you’d be sure. ”
 
Soon after, Hoya and Woohyun went out to buy the things needed for dinner. He felt comfortable quite enough leaving Sungjong with Sungyeol and Myungsoo. He trusts his brothers and kid he’s working for.
 
“ Sorry, hyung. I acted so foolishly. ” Sungjong said to Sungyeol. The older ruffled his hair, “ Nah Jongie. It was fun while it lasted. ”
 
As the two siblings laughed it off, Myungsoo on the other hand started to looked at them differently. He already knew how Sungyeol was like. And yet even though he’s playful at school, he found it amusing to see him like this at home with his brother. Myungsoo felt like there was also something in Sungjong that would make anyone nice. He thinks that the younger boy possesses an ability to be able to calm down anyone with that innocent-looking face. His curious thinking snapped him out when he now sees Sungjong talking on the phone.
 
“ Hoya-hyung said that they just decided to eat out. He said it would take a while to prepare for dinner, so he and Woohyun-ssi chose this restaurant. We should head there now immediately. ”
 
Italian cuisine was for dinner. It was all on Woohyun but he felt no regret. At some point, he wanted to tame Hoya’s lion heart and ease Sungjong’s feistiness. He was seated in between Hoya and Sungyeol, and at his front were the two youngest, Myungsoo and Sungjong. It delighted him to see everyone enjoy their pasta and pizzas.
 
“ Ah Hoya-ssi and Sungjong-ssi ” Myungsoo spoke, wiping some of the pasta sauce on his mouth. “ My brother would be celebrating his birthday tomorrow. And he asked me to invite my closest friends. I already told Woohyun-ssi and Sungyeol-ah. ”
 
“ Are we even friends? ” Sungjong asked sarcastically which Myungsoo take no offense to and just smiled at him.
 
Woohyun sipped a drink, “ Yeah right Yeol-ah, would you be able to attend his hyung’s party tomorrow? You said you will, once Sungjong-ah gets better. ”
 
But it was Sungjong who replied, “ It’s okay hyung. You join them and have fun okay? ”. Then he looked at Myungsoo who was beside him, “ Ah, sorry maybe next time or I guess. I’ve already made a promise to a friend that I’ll drop by at his place tomorrow. ”
 
“ Aing~ First come, first served. How about you Hoya-ssi? ” Woohyun asked Hoya who set his utensils now, indicating he had finished eating. “ I can’t. I have work tomorrow. ”
 
That was when Sungyeol had spoken, while munching and stuffing his mouth with some mashed potato, “ Ehh come on hyung. Tomorrow’s Saturday meaning no classes. You don’t need to drive for Myungsoo. ”
 
Both Myungsoo and Hoya exclaimed, “ What?! How did you know? ”
 
“ Hah, easy bros. You send Myungsoo to school of course. And since his car’s not that tinted, we happened to see you not just once. And we have confirmed it when Sungyeol said his hyung had started working now. ” Woohyun said.
 
Sungjong only nodded not wanting to ask for more. Hoya noticed this and soon explained his side.
 
“ I was only applying for a cleaner at his brother’s office. Then he suggested that I should drive for Myungsoo here. He said he was impressed about my work experiences which left him a good impression of me though I’d only finished high school. I thought it was a better opportunity, given the salaries I am in. ”
 
They went quiet for a second until Hoya continued, “ I’m always grateful for your brother Myungsoo. You must have felt how truly nice he is. But one more thing too . . .” he paused and wrapped his left arms around Woohyun’s shoulders then looked at both Myungsoo and him.
 
“ . . . I would also like to thank you two for supplying the financial need of Sungyeol’s university status. He just told me that some great friends of his wanted to help him. I wanted him to declined the offer and said that I’ll just work multiple jobs for him to continue. But he promised me that it was going to be just fine . . ” There were now tears forming in Hoya’s eyes. “ . . I wanted to meet you at that time, but Sungyeol never agreed because of how our house looked like. ”
 
Myungsoo fussed at Sungyeol, “ Seriously dude, I see nothing wrong with your home. ”
 
“ It’s messy. Underwears everywhere. Have you seen us walked there, our hands at our side since there are not much space. It’s only a home for the Lee Siblings. ” Sungyeol chuckled.
 
Woohyun wrapped his arms on Hoya’s shoulders too. “ That’s what friends are for okay? ”
 
Sungjong tried to wipe some of his tears too. He can’t let it fall. Just then, he felt Myungsoo patting his back as a smile can be seen from the older. He tried to smile back too. Woohyun saw this.
 
“ I also wanted to help Sungjong, but he said 'no' to me. He’s just like you Hoya. A total replica. ” They laughed at Woohyun’s comment.
 
“ No need Woohyun-ssi. I’m working my brains off for nothing. ” Sungjong said.
 
Then Sungyeol held up his glass of soda, “ Let’s cheers to this! And don’t worry Hoya-hyung. Sungjonggie and I will work even har – I mean, I am going to study more since Sungjong’s doing it for a long time now. After I diligently graduate hyung, I would have a stable profession for my bachelor degree and we, your siblings, would be the one to pay up for your university. It won’t be late for you to study and have a taste of it hyung.” Sungyeol said with a smile so wide though his eyes were kind of watery.
 
“ Cheers! ” as the others held their glasses up too.
 
“ Woohyun-ssi would love to pay for your schooling Hoya-ssi. ” Myungsoo suggested.
 
“ Shut up kiddo, I am not paying for anything except tonight’s dinner. And if I would help Hoya-ssi, we must be friends first. ” he nudged Hoya, “ So shall we? ”
 
But Hoya only smiled, “ Whatever ”. It was the first he had seen Hoya smile. And it was too precious for Woohyun to take. The night was filled with laughter and teasings. They concluded that it was such a start of a friendship.
 
Is it ?
 
 
 
“ Happy birthday to me~ Happy birthday to me! Happy birthday, happy birthday~~ Happy birthday Sungkyu! ”
There was Sungkyu singing a birthday song to himself. He was combing his hair after finishing a bath. 'Today would be a busy day' he thought. It's his first time inviting people over and hosting a party. There need not much, they are all grown-ups. Food and drinks with communication would be fine. He's excited to meet Myungsoo's friends too.