BACK AT ONE

INFINITE Relationships
Breakfast is the most important meal of the day. Like how the saying goes ‘Eat like a king during breakfast, like a prince on lunch and like a pauper on dinner’. Breakfast meal will help you nurture your body needs for the day, when going to school and or to work. And right now, seven boys are about to have this said meal course. On the table of the Kim brothers, lies the food prepared by the friends of the young Kim - by Woohyun and Sungyeol. What’s on the menu?
 
Fried rice (with forgotten salt and garlic) – for Sungyeol literally just fried it , burnt bacon strips (again it’s Sungyeol). Coffee gone cold and juice left unstirred you can feel the powder at the bottom of the glass - all thanks to Woohyun. Thankfully, the eggs and hotdogs are edible so some just chose to partner it with bread and have tea instead.
 
“ How can you be a good wi –husband Sungyeol-ssi, if you don’t know how to cook? ” says Woohyun. “ I pity whoever will date you or even think of marrying you. ” pointing out more so Myungsoo can hear. Unfortunately, the latter was trying to figure out the bacons so he didn’t hear what Woohyun said.
 
“ I know how to cook! It just so happens that their stove is electric! We don’t have that in our home, ours is run by gas! ”
 
“ No differences, whatever. My apologies, I should have known how you are the primitive kind. ”
 
“ Hyung . . ” Sungyeol called out to Hoya. “ Tell this fool about how random our stove works. It chooses its master. Our stove back then only listens to you. Tell Woohyun-ssi about it. Help me this time, Hoya hyung. ”
 
“ Ahh . . oh yeah. ” Hoya said, but it sounded like he wasn’t literally paying attention to Sungyeol. Hoya was busy working on the hardened bacon to cut it into smaller parts. He is giving it to Sungjong who mentioned how his teeth can’t chew the said bacon.
 
“ Hoya hyung~ And why are you so softy again to Sungjong? ” Sungyeol questions upon seeing his hyung helping his dongsaeng. “ Stop assisting the brat hyung. You said you wanted Sungjong to mature, so let him be. ”
 
Sungjong was aware of what Sungyeol was trying to say. “ Ah, Hoya hyung. It’s okay. I’ll managed it. ”
 
“ People change Sungyeol. So does their feelings. ” Everyone stopped with what they were doing and looked into Hoya, but he remained his eyes on Sungyeol. “ What I am meaning about is that I or Sungjong might change, might have our moods and feelings differ, but still we have a relationship called ‘brothers’. So I can’t just abandon him. I just can’t throw away everything just because of Sungjong’s behavior. Maybe not a bad or good thing, but I should be with Sungjong to fix whatever attitude he has. ”
 
“ Hyung, coffee. ” Sungjong smiled as he handled the mug to Hoya.
 
“ Just quiet it down babe. The bacon is fine. Not good to be honest but I will not blame you. ” Myungsoo wrapped his arm on Sungyeol’s waist.
 
“ Babe? Where did it come from? ” Dongwoo asks, munching the food. He was the only one enjoying the breakfast. As expected, the dinosaur can eat it all with no complaints. “ Are you two really . . like really official? ”
 
“ I haven’t properly introduced myself. ” Myungsoo started. “ Hoya-ssi, I am not asking for permission but I just want to let you know that I am dating your brother. ”
 
“ Which brother? ”
 
“ Your brother who is my bestfriend. Your brother who opens my eyes to new possibilities. Your brother who showers me with positiveness whenever negativity strikes me. Your brother who taught me that I should get much closer to Sungkyu hyung since he is my only hyung, just like as how your brother is to you. Your brother who is turning 19 years old next month. And of course, your brother whom I never thought but hoped for to fall in love with. Lee Sung Yeol. ”
 
Sungyeol didn’t know how to react towards Myungsoo’s words. For him, they aren’t really a couple yet. Just dating first. Since it’s way too early to think of other stuffs, but a title to a relationship is useless as long as you have each other. He then gave in a sigh. But upon hearing those, Dongwoo congratulated them.
 
Woohyun gave Myungsoo a high five instead. “ I taught you well. See? I told you so. Don’t just speak about your mind. With your heart too. You have to do it. I am proud of your acts my friend. Since, ‘action speaks louder than words’ remember? Good thing you’ve finally made your move instead of just talking about your feelings, you really have to show it. ”
 
‘Action speaks louder than words’ – this replays in Hoya’s mind. Despite being on the same table, he neither looks at Woohyun or Dongwoo. When he woke up this morning, he was aided by his brothers. They went downstairs because Sungyeol suggested that he will make breakfast. There on the living room was Woohyun chattering with Myungsoo. That moment, he also sees how Myungsoo became lovey-dovey when Sungyeol came down. So Hoya asked Sungjong to lead him to Dongwoo’s room instead. He wanted to check on the older.
 
He is still sleeping hyung. Do you have any idea what time you’ve arrived last night . . I mean this morning? Where were you and what happened? ”
 
“ I got drunk. ” Truth be told, Hoya remembers everything. He wasn’t really drunk, he can be considered sleepy that’s why he passed out.
 
“ That is indeed the fact hyung, thank you for stating. But let me rephrase my question. Rather ‘Where were you’ and ‘What happened’, how about ‘Why has this come to this’ instead. So tell me hyung, why is it like this? Why did you get yourself drunk? ”
 
“ Can you just shut up for a moment? Now is not the right time for questions Sungjong. To think, I should be the one asking you. What in the actual made you and Sungyeol be here? What are your reasons this time Sungjong? I understand Sungyeol being here because that Myungsoo kid is his friend of sort. But you? Why Sungjong? You said it yourself. You told me how you’ve met Sungkyu and Dongwoo for once or twice only. We used to be rich Sungjong, yes we were. But we weren’t raised to pity ourselves, so what the heck were you thinking of on barging to this house? And spare the look Sungjong. I won’t fall easily no more on that babied face of yours! Haven’t you learned your lessons? So tell me Sungjong, why this place of all places to stay over? You know how things went wrong the moment we’ve stepped foot in here. Don’t you realize that the only Lee welcome here is Sungyeol? No one will accept us here Sungjong, so go to get your things now and we are going back home. That is final! ”
 
But Sungjong remained expressionless in front of Hoya. With this, the older realizes that he should have not vented his anger on his younger brother. It worried Hoya at some point, seeing Sungjong like this - not talking back but just staring at him. “ Sungjong, I . . ”
 
“ I got it. But I think, now is not the right time for answers as well Hoya hyung. Excuse me. ” and with that, Sungjong left the room.
 
“ Aaww. Aren’t you a meanie Howonnie? ” Hoya then ly to see Dongwoo, now wide awake.
 
“ I’m sorry. I didn’t mean to . . you know wake you up . . I just . . I just want to know . . ” Hoya said the finally giving in.
 
“ Save the apology for Sungjong. The kid’s got it tough. He’s on puberty eyy? ”
 
Hoya gave a soft chuckle. But still feeling awkward.
 
“ Think about this. No matter what happens, by the end of the day, you will always think about your siblings, right Hoya-ssi? . . ” Dongwoo asks and Hoya nods.
 
“ . . I think that’s because we are the hyungs. I will also do anything for Woohyunnie. I will even sacrifice my feelings just so Woohyun can be happy. I can even give way too so that he can have everything he wants. Call me unfair or selfish, but I really do want to do it for my twin. At first, I dislike how Woohyunnie calls me hyung. But since he asked for it, I obliged to his request. ”
 
“ A soft spot for our dongsaengs? ”
 
Dongwoo shooked his head, smiling towards him. “ A weak spot instead. You see, our brothers can be our strengths. But they apparently can be our weaknesses too. You have two with you. It’s not easy, but they both looked up to you a lot. While our younger brothers have our backs, we should just take care of the path that we faces, so as long as that it is clear for them. ”
 
“ Meaning . . ? ”
 
“ Clear the path for them . . we hyungs should set an example for our dongsaengs. Start it with Sungjong. Make his way clear. You can’t just ask him to go to a place called ‘Mature and Grow Up’. How will he be able to reach the destination if you didn’t give any directions. Sure thing yes, Sungjong should know it by himself. But aren’t you asking for too much? Like a parent who sends his child to school for the first time, does the child do it by himself? Nah ah ah. ”
 
Hoya wonders how the random Dongwoo suddenly sounded so general in talking.
 
“ And you have Sungyeol. Unlike Sungjong, he knows how to deal with the matters around him. But it doesn’t mean he needs less guidance. Take me and Woohyunnie for example. We kiss, hugs and does skinship. He is my twin. My friend and brother. We only got each other, why do we have to reconsider? ”
 
Hoya was shocked to find about it. Kiss? Yes he has hugged his siblings many times, but he doesn’t remember giving them kisses. Dongwoo noticed the worried look of Hoya. “ Yes Hoya-ssi. The last time I have kissed Woohyun was yesterday morning. He gave me a peck on the lips as a good morning greeting. Then I will go touch his and hug. Isn’t it sweet? I find it cute too. ”
 
“ How can I hug and kiss my siblings who are way taller than me? Whatever. ”
 
Silence filled the room before Dongwoo began again. “ I know this is not your responsibility Hoya-ssi. Where areas you should have been doing something else. But Sungyeol and Sungjong should have been also doing something else too. Yet they followed you. Obeyed you. I don’t know much about you or your siblings, but I can see the one thing you have with them that I also have with Woohyunnie. ”
 
“ Love ? ” Hoya asks quietly.
 
“ Link. I have an unbreakable link with Woohyunnie. The string ties me towards him. It is endless and never gonna be cut. People say it only applies to twins, but twins are brothers. Therefore I believe you also have it with Sungyeol and Sungjong. It is not fate, not destiny that brought you here to meet again. The link just wanted you to be together and not far away from each other, that’s why the string pulled you three back to one another. ”
 
Maybe Dongwoo is right. Maybe Sungyeol also needs a hyung-like figure and he shouldn’t just be there for Sungjong’s needs only. Maybe Dongwoo is right. Sungjong is broken at a young age. Who has experienced countless of hurt and pains, so he should not push him off to the edge.
 
Maybe Dongwoo is right. Maybe Hoya can really be saved from drowning in his own blighted hopes.
Maybe Dongwoo is right. Maybe Hoya can grab Dongwoo’s extended hand instead of reaching for someone else's.
Maybe Dongwoo is right. Maybe this time. Maybe.
 
 
Without a care, Sungkyu feels unknown to the boys in front of him. ‘Tssk. No one even notices me not talking. There , there look at that. Huh. A few minutes ago they were arguing and now they are smiling. Are these kids playful or just plain fools?’
 
Sungkyu cleared his throat, gaining attention. Finally. “ I have so many things to say. Not just sentences but paragraphs. So I want all of you to listen well. No one is to talk or interfere. Understood? ” the boys look from one another, a bit wondering on what could it be but still they agreed.
 
“ Okay. First, so many things have had happened. Today is Monday. Last Saturday was my birthday, we gathered and met one another for the first time . . well some of us did. But we have connections, isn’t it a small world? Then yesterday, Sunday, another set of events occurred. One quit his job, two got their feelings involved and three has issues of their own. And now Monday, we are all together again. ”
 
They suddenly felt anxious of how those three days felt like weeks and months of dramas.
 
“ So as we start off of the week, I am hoping for such things. Take note, I said ‘I hope’. Even if I’d go  for ‘I want’ it, we all have our free will of choices. But since you are staying here at my house. Take note again. This is my house. Not Myungsoo’s, not Myungsoo and I’s. But my house. ”
 
Myungsoo wanted to argue with but he remembered not to interfere. Who knows, he might find himself sleep outdoors.
 
“ First, I hope no one here on this table dares to reveal that your brother is sadly not your brother or whatever issues blah blah blah among you and your brothers. Resulting to have someone run away again . . ” Sungkyu targeted the Woo twins.
 
“ . . then, I hope that if you drink, be sure you are responsible not to get drunk or at least try to contain your alcohol. I hope not to see crying messes filled with fights, having your voices raise all the way to the highest note – disrespecting your older ones. ” Sungkyu targeted the Lee siblings.
 
“ . . I also hope that no one would go crazy for his feelings or has his heart get jealous over small matters then assumes so many things. I hope no one would be irresponsible again then leaving me here alone when you started deciding for yourself, being careless. ” Sungkyu targeted his brother.
 
Sungkyu said his speech looking at everyone. Though he didn’t make any eye contact to who is he referring to, they all know it too well to be the one who he is talking about.
 
“ Do you boys understand? ”
 
“ Yes. ” it sounded like a group of children answering to their teacher.
 
“ Good. Finish your food. Next time, I will be the one to cook. But all of you are welcome to try my kitchen. There is always room for improvement. Now, those who will be attending school, have yourselves get ready. Don’t think I have forgotten about that. ”
 
Sungkyu’s words were powerful that have made them disobey no further. It seems like they are back to square one. As Sungkyu took his bath the last, Hoya offered to drive Dongwoo, Sungyeol, Myungsoo and Sungjong to their university.
 
 
“ Why are you still here? Don’t you have classes? ” Sungkyu asks Woohyun who took the responsibility of washing the dishes.
 
“ I can’t go there anymore. My ex-father owns the school. So I am planning to just enroll on Dongwoo hyung’s university instead. ”
 
“ Dongwoo is graduating this year. It’s pretty useless if you stay there by yourself. ” Sungkyu said, fixing his tie.
 
“ Oh wait. ” Woohyun stopped him and got over to Sungkyu. He then took the tie from him. “ This is one thing I guess I am thankful for what my ex-father have taught me. Suit and tie. You should have crossed it like this here . . and like that . . ”
 
Sungkyu is taller than Woohyun, so he can see how the younger arranges his tie for him. The eye smile Woohyun gives, makes Sungkyu smile too.
 
“ There. Looking fine. ” Woohyun said, giving the tie one last touch. “ Well about Dongwoo hyung graduating . . hmm. You’re right. Maybe I should stop attending school for a while. You need someone to look after this house you know. ”
 
“ I will help you okay. I will try to find ways. I might be strict but all of you now are my responsibility. ”
 
“ Oh. No need though, but as Myungsoo says, no one argues with you. So, thanks for the offer. ”
 
“ There are only two types of person who can argue with me. One, he or she must be reasonable. I don’t want to hear useless junks coming from his or . And the second, that person is to be my lover. I will only dare argue with my lover, like a husband to his wife and vice versa. ”
 
“ So . . ” Woohyun was hesitating to ask first but decided to go for it. “ . . are you the husband kind for the wife type? ”
 
“ I am yes. But also can be both for someone who can be both as well. ” Sungkyu smiled then ruffled Woohyun’s hair. “ You’ve done a great job with my tie Woohyun-ssi. I bet your lover would be pleased. Do you have one at the moment? ” he asks as he puts on his socks and slips on his shoes.
 
“ Like like like . . crush crush crush. It’s been a year or two since my last boyfriend. I don’t know. Maybe I just did try to forget about him. ”
 
Sungkyu looked up from his feet to face Woohyun – who was now sitting in front of him. “ Care to tell? ”
 
“ Well, let’s not name him anymore. Typical and casual meetings. He was our classmate way back in highschool. Sungyeol and Myungsoo know him, so I beg you not to ask for such details. Anyway, we met again during college. And at the bar and then we got drunk and confessed with one another. No lies, so pathetic isn’t it? After a week, we’ve become a couple. He’s my first boyfriend and I am his fifth . . ”
 
“ But . . ? I am sensing a ‘but’ here Woohyun-ssi? ” Sungkyu laughed softly.
 
“ I was home alone one time, he made a surprise visit. I was thankful that my parents were busy as heck during that day. No one noticed him entering our house too, so I was thankful. We have no CCTVs yet during those days. So we just decided to cuddle and just chill, talk about stuffs. Then he started touching me here and there. ” Woohyun laughed as he recall that incident.
 
“ If you’re uncomfortable with this, you don’t have to force yourself. ” Sungkyu assures him.
 
“ It’s okay. I flinched at his touch first. But to be honest with you, I wasn’t a at that time anymore. I lost it to my first and only girlfriend. She was after money so I broke up with her. I don’t mind it though. Anyway, I felt like something was odd with the way my ex-boyfriend touches me. I tried to move away but then he suddenly went rough on me.
 
He pinned me down on the bed and starting going for my neck. That time, I even thought of being an action star, so I kicked his ‘junior’ but since he was stronger than me, it made no difference. I can’t called out for our butlers and maids because I don't want to imagine what my ex-father would have done if he did found out about it. Seriously, I wasn’t arouse though his tongue were all over me. He then tried to my pants. He succeeded, but when tried to remove my pants, I ran but I only made it to the floor. Hahaha. Oh gosh I can’t believe I’ve done it. Then he attacked me again, grabbing everything he can . . ”
 
Woohyun’s face fell for a moment. “ But I lost it when he physically hurt me. He punched my good-looking face twice, using his different hands for each punch – earning me a lip cut and a bruise below my eye. He lowered his lips crashing mine as I still fight for whatever dignity I have left. I have my eyes closed at that time when I felt like he was removed on top of me . . .
 
. . there I saw how Dongwoo hyung pulled him away from me. I was scared knowing my twin had seen me in this state. But what I have seen scared me even more. Dongwoo hyung . . punched my ex in the face too. He even kicked him by the stomach. When the bastard fell on his knees, Dongwoo hyung still pulled him up and gave him another set of punches. I didn’t noticed I was crying already so I called for Dongwoo hyung to make him stop. He did. He came to my side and soon some of the guards picked my ex and have him jailed by our parents. ”
 
“ Jailed? Immediately? ”
 
“ Dongwoo hyung told our parents that my ex was an intruder. He covered up for me. ”
 
“ Does Dongwoo knows who your ex was? Does he know you had a relationship thingy with the dude? ”
 
“ Yes. It hurt me more, when ex-father got mad at how violent Dongwoo hyung went. He always find small holes for my twin. I don’t want to see Dongwoo hyung losing himself just because of me. ”
 
“ You won’t. ” Sungkyu said as he stand up. Woohyun did too. “ Because I am sure, you will have someone new who will not break your heart. Or even think of hurting the ones dear to you. I have to go. I got work at office. Are you sure you will be fine here? Do you want to come along? ”
 
“ Would it be okay? I haven’t even bathe. You just go ahead Sungkyu-ssi. Don't worry. I will guard the house well. ”
 
“ You're not a dog. But I am the boss. I am not written as late or absent. Go to the bathroom now, I will wait for you. ”
 
And Woohyun did hurriedly went upstairs. “ I will wait for you. ” Sungkyu said to himself.
 
 
 
“ Sungjong-ssi! ”
 
Sungjong almost dropped the tray of food he’s holding. He is currently at the campus cafeteria when Myungsoo took him slowly to the seat far across the corner of the said place.
 
“ Oh Myungsoo hyung. Have you had your lunch? Where’s Sungyeol hyung? ”
 
“ We had ours and he’s on a different class now. He dropped Calculus for this school year and chose a different subject. And it doesn’t help since Woohyun-ssi is not attending school anymore. I don’t have any idea if he still will. We have pending tasks to do, aissh that guy. Therefore I am alone. Anyway, I have something to tell you and I think it’s best if Sungyeol won’t know about this. ”
 
“ If you are going to use me as a bridge I’d rather not – ”
 
“ No not that! I’ve realized, since we aren’t that much close and I think we should be starting to be one since we’re practically will be living in the same house from now on . . I was just wondering . . if you can , you know . . like you know  – ”
 
“ I don’t know so what is it? ”
 
Myungsoo looked around first then faced Sungjong. “ Will you lend me your body for a one time moment ? ”
 
 
*gosh, this is the longest chapter I have written so far hehehe
feel free to comment~ all of you are now having different shippings here and there
avoid shipping wars! I will work hard~ thank you <3