STOPPING THE COMPLICATIONS

INFINITE Relationships
“ Now what ? ” a question came out of Sungyeol’s mouth. Right after the so-called ‘family photoshoot’, their feet brought them to a nearby open-park. The trees seems like in a dance as the wind whispers. People are all over the place; either riding their bicycles, skateboarding or children playing with some kites and running around one after the other.
 
Sungkyu himself too doesn’t have any idea what to do next – and here, the seven of them are gathered together once again.
 
“ How about we just get to the date we are supposed to have? ” Myungsoo said as he tries to grab Sungyeol’s hand, ready to run away.
 
But Hoya took Myungsoo and Sungyeol’s connected hands away from each other and Sungkyu saw this in a different response. “ Hey! Who are you to just grab my brother and his boyfriend away? If you’re jealous because you have none for yourself then – ”
 
“ I personally need to talk to your brother about him dating my brother. ” Hoya batted an eye on Sungkyu.
 
“ There’s nothing that can break them apart, what more do you need to talk about – ”
 
“ It’s okay hyung, relax. ” Myungsoo cut them off before going to a nearby spot under the tree with Hoya.
 
Flustered as he is, Sungyeol just chose to sit on the grass, laying his head on Sungjong’s lap. “ Hoya hyung is being overprotective again. But why now, he could have done it way back from before? ” says his younger brother.
 
Sungyeol let Sungjong’s hands caresses his head. “ I know Sungjonggie. I’m glad he did, though. I thought he never cared back then. Took him long enough, but I am thankful he is. ”
 
Meanwhile, Sungkyu felt someone hugged him from the back. “ What was that all about? ” Woohyun asks. “ You can talk to Sungyeol too. I know he and Myungsoo are young and bestfriends since ages, but you can’t hide the fact that your brother’s boyfriend has a protective and caring hyung. ”
 
Sungkyu faced him, letting out a sigh. “ Sorry. But I can’t hide the fact too, that I am a protective and caring hyung to Myungsoo. ”
 
“ I understand. Don’t take your stress from work towards anyone. You need a vacation. I think we need one. Christmas break is coming. ”
 
“ You’re right. Oh gosh Woohyun-ah! You really know what to do with me? While . . I  . . ”
 
“ While you . . ? ”
 
“ You know what to do with me, while I don’t know what to do without you. ” A hug was given to Woohyun who almost teared up being moved by Sungkyu’s words. “ I thought you would reject me too, like Dongwoo did before. ”
 
Woohyun stopped for a while, processing what Sungkyu said. “ What? ”
 
“ Hmm? ”
 
“ You? You said something about my Dongwoo hyung? ”
 
“ Has he not told you? ”
 
“ I wouldn’t be asking if I know?! ”
 
“ Hah. I guess Dongwoo-ssi did, did not feel anything special towards me. ”
 
“ What is it then?! ”
 
“ I became friends with your twin way back in high school. I was his senior military officer at that time. After being so close for more than a year, I asked him during a prom night – we both didn’t invite any girl partners because we promised to spend the night with each other since we were graduating students already. And then, I said I like him in a way not than just a friend . . ”
 
Woohyun couldn’t believe what he was hearing. Never once did his Dongwoo hyung told about Sungkyu confessing to him before. Maybe it doesn’t really matter for Dongwoo, that’s why he didn’t bring the issue up anymore. But still, he could at least informed him. “ And he rejected you? ”
 
Sungkyu nodded. “ Yep. It’s my first confession . . and first rejection. ”
 
“ Of course it’s your first rejection. You just had your first confession. ”
 
Sungkyu laughed at Woohyun’s remarks. “ Dongwoo said . . he only sees me as a friend. A bestfriend. A hyung. And we both moved on from it. I have a soft spot for Dongwoo but don’t take it to a different light Woohyun-ah. ”
 
“ I got it. It is just . . a bit surprising. ”
 
“ But to tell you . . ” Sungkyu continues while looking at Dongwoo who is happily playing with Sungyeol not from afar playing along with the other kids on their water guns while Sungjong tries to avoid their targets. “ . . if Dongwoo and I became a couple on that night, we would still be one now. We could have celebrated our five year anniversary already. ”
 
Woohyun felt a little jealousy inside. He wants to thank his twin for rejecting Sungkyu in the past for he and the older are now in a relationship. But at the same time, he feels bad for Sungkyu. The rejection and the pain – to even think that Dongwoo is Sungkyu’s first confession under the glimmering lights of a prom night, the first pain that the first rejection gave him. And his first love.
 
“ Woohyun-ah. Please? I love you okay? That was years ago. Dongwoo is my bestfriend now. You love me right? ”
 
Woohyun pinched Sungkyu’s chubby cheeks. “ Silly. I do, I do, I do love you Sungkyu-ssi. ”
 
“ Stop saying I do. It’s not like I proposed for you in marriage. ”
 
“ Ah. Don’t you want to? ”
 
“ Woohyun, as much as I like it, I want to marry you now. But I want you to meet my parents too. This morning, mom talked to Myungsoo on the phone and has been asking on when we will introduce our boyfriends. I suggested after a few weeks since we’re all busy. Okay dear? But I will marry you. You should finish college first. And after that . . hmmm. ” Sungkyu grins at him.
 
“ Oooh. Me likey. But I guess marriage can wait. And you’re right. You can marry me after Sungjong graduated college – ”
 
“ Sungjong? I said yours. Sungjong’s graduation would be like in three to four years from now! ”
 
“ With Sungjong’s course, Medicine . . – ”
 
“ What?! ”
 
“ Four to five years of pre-med preparation plus another four years of medical school and finally three to seven years of residency. All in all . . hmmm let’s say sixteen years. ”
 
“ Sixteen years?! So what am I gonna be like? Thirty-nine years old? And you’re thirty si – . . no, thirty seven. ”
 
“ At least Sungjong’s thirty-four. And officially a doctor. ”
 
“ How did Sungjong get into our conversation again? ”
 
“ Sungjong is and will be part of our family. He is your brother’s boyfriend’s brother. ”
 
“ Huh? ” Sungkyu asked confusingly.
 
“ Just kidding, love. His major is Tourism.” shrugs Woohyun, giving a peck on Sungkyu’s lips.
 
 
 
To be honest, Myungsoo felt nervous. The area is calming but his heart isn’t. For the months of being with Sungyeol, what could Hoya possibly want talk to him about.
 
“ Is he on a revenge? Because he didn’t end up with that damn Woohyun – who everyone wants. And since I am Sungkyu’s brother, would he take it all on me? ”
 
“ Hey, you heard me right? ” Hoya’s words brought Myungsoo back to reality.
 
“ Yeah. Sure. Of course I do. ”
 
“ You do?! ” Hoya steps forward to Myungsoo, making the latter rests his back on the trunk of the tree.
 
“ Ye . .ah ? ”
 
“ I asked if you are just playing with my brother’s feelings and you said you do – ”
 
Myungsoo immediately held his hands up front of Hoya. “ No no no no. I was just out of my mind. Please! I do love Sungyeol. Please believe in me. ”
 
Hoya remained straightfaced. “ Sungjong-ah! Come here. ” he yelled without breaking eye contact on Myungsoo.
 
“ Yes hyung? ” Sungjong glanced at Myungsoo. “ Oh Myungsoo-ssi. You’re kinda stiff. Are you okay? Did you scare him too much Hoya hyung? ”
 
“ He’s fine. Let’s go. ”
 
“ To where? ”
 
“ Back at the mall. Get Dongwoo and tell him I badly need to talk to him. I will meet you both at the shop where we bought those sweaters. ” Hoya hurriedly left Sungjong with a stucked frozen Myungsoo.
 
“ Aish. That hyung is like always in a menstruation period. Are you really oka – ” Sungjong faced Myungsoo but caught up with the older’s face.
 
“ How did you know about menstruation periods? ” he felt Myungsoo’s breath right by his neck. “ Those are girl things.”
 
“ I am not dumb. It’s all part of the classes I used to have when I was young. Don’t you have Health Education before? ” he said while trying to move away from Myungsoo. “ And stop doing that. I’m quite sensitive on that part. ” Sungjong looked to where Sungyeol was, afraid that they might have been caught and misunderstand them. He don’t want his Sungyeollie hyung getting mad at him again.
 
“ Sungjong. Are you like . . us? ”
 
“ What do you mean? ”
 
“ You know about s*x so much. Maybe you’ve watched a few, excluding the fact that you’re young. But what kind of p*rn do you actually watch? ”
 
“ Excuse me? Look here mister. My furious brother just asked me to do something, so if you have nothing good to say to me, I will just go. ” Sungjong turned around to walk away but due to Myungsoo fast reflexes, he instantly got the chance to grab onto the younger’s arm, pulling him closer to face him again. “ What the? Really? The ‘I-am-going-to-grab-your-arm-to-stop-you-from-walking-away-and-then-you-will-face-me-to-talk’ thing? This is so ‘80s. What the heck do you want? ”
 
“ Are you gay? ”
 
Sungjong was getting fired up; for reasons he can’t tell. “ Yah, so what? ” he immediately lets his arm off of Myungsoo but the latter’s grip was too tight. “ Let go of me! If Sungyeollie hyung sees us like this – ” he tried to scanned the place over and to his utter surprise, Sungyeol was still busy playing with Dongwoo. But this time, Woohyun is with them while Sungkyu was sitting on the grass feeling like tired of their childish plays. Suddenly, he then felt Myungsoo’s hands on him as he was dragged behind the tree.
 
“ Don’t touch me! ” Sungjong hits Myungsoo. He knows it’s bad but he doesn’t know what’s gotten into his brother’s boyfriend. “ Get lost! ” he finally managed to pushed Myungsoo away. “ What the is wrong with you?! ”
 
“ Sungyeol likes you and Woohyun. But he loves me. I am just checking if maybe . . if there’s a chance that you might feel the same way too since I know Woohyun is all over my brother already – ”
 
“ You’re crazy! ” Sungjong started throwing punches at Myungsoo.
 
“ Stop . . stop! ” Myungsoo caught him by his shoulders. “ One final question before I let you go. Is there someone you like? ”
 
“ You’re impossible. ” he tries to escape from the older’s hold again. But Myungsoo was far much more stronger. As he battles his way out, while the other counterattacks him, Myungsoo accidentally slipped his foot and lost his balance, losing control of Sungjong as well – who dropped down and bumping his head on the ground.
 
“ Hey. Sungjong. I’m sorry. I didn’t mean to . . Sungjong can you hear me? ”
 
Sungjong is hurt. Physically.
 
He pushed Myungsoo again. “ I hate you! I can’t believe the day would come that I would say I hate you rather than I like you. ”
 
His tears are visible to Myungsoo’s sight. But Sungjong’s words was also clear for him. “ You . . you like me? It’s . . me? ” And within a second, such moments he had with him flashed by – when he tried to kiss him on his room, when he pinned him on the wall by the bathroom door and made him cry, the time when they were talking on the swing. He looked at Sungjong who finally stood up but is now crying.
 
“ You’re bleeding. ” he noticed a few drips of blood on Sungjong’s forehead.
 
“ Yes. I like you . . and I hate you. ” he wiped some of his blood and hid the injury behind his bangs. “ But don’t worry. I won’t be a hindrance to you and Sungyeollie hyung. Woohyun-ssi and Sungkyu hyung finally made it, though I want Hoya hyung for Woohyun-ssi. But I am on the process of making Hoya hyung realize that it’s Dongwoo hyung all along. After that, you won’t see me  anymore.” And even before Myungsoo could speak, Sungjong ran away from him. He saw how the younger joined the rest only to pull Dongwoo away. He did remember Hoya telling Sungjong to go and get him.
 
 
After a while, Myungsoo’s knees were on the ground. He felt as if everything is a blur. Sungjong is hurt. Emotionally. And he made him cry again. He was unaware of himself crying too when he saw Sungyeol coming to him with Sungkyu and Woohyun. Without asking, Sungkyu sat next to Myungsoo and hugged him.
 
“ Why is my brother crying, Myungsoo? ” Sungyeol asked.
 
Myungsoo cried out to Sungkyu’s embrace even more. So no one did noticed that Sungjong was bleeding. Maybe Dongwoo will.
 
Woohyun patted Sungyeol’s back. “ Let’s go home for now. Ask later. ”
 
“ It’s my brother I am asking about! ”
 
“ He is with my Dongwoo hyung. Sungjong will be fine. Maybe they just had a misunderstanding talk. ”
 
When they got home, Myungsoo was asleep already. Sungyeol is beside him on their bed while Woohyun’s on the kitchen preparing food. Sungkyu stayed on his room and phone calls for Sungjong.
 
“ Hello? ”
 
“ Sungjong-ah. Whatever happened, I want to apologize on my brother’s behalf. ”
 
“ . . it’s definitely his fault. But I wish to not talk about it anymore. ”
 
“ I understand. But it hurts my heart to see Myungsoo crying again. The last time he did cry for so hard was when we were young. ”
 
“ Is that all? Excuse me but I have to hung up now – ”
 
“ No, you have to know. ” Sungkyu opened the veranda of his room and out he came for a fresh air. “ It also has something to do with the audio tape you found at the storage room. ”
 
“ Wha – what about it then? Is it . . that Victoria Horvejkul? ”
 
“ Victoria Horvejkul has been assigned to be my future wife. Believe it or not, arranged marriage existed in our family back then. She is fourteen at that time, I was nine years old while Myungsoo’s five. She’s pretty, hardworking, kind, respectful and just everything a man would dream of. ”
 
“ But . . ? ”
 
“ But I rejected her in front of everyone. Not because of our . It’s mainly because, I just can’t see myself feeling anything towards her. She accepted it. But after two years, we were invited on her ‘sweet sixteen’ birthday, she . . she kidnapped Myungsoo on her room. ”
 
“ Hah ? ”
 
“ Yes. She said she will only return him if I agree on being her husband. I was selfish, and so I didn’t meet her desires. When the guards got access on her room, they saw her there, wrist cut. Blood on the floor, and some even spilled on my brother who was crying frightfully. Victoria survived and is now currently on China. She recovered from it all and finally found her own family. But Myungsoo has to undergo therapies. There was no trauma though, but Myungsoo feared of being left alone. When I chose my own pride over his safety at that time, I knew it was wrong. So Myungsoo grew a fear of not being chosen in the end. And I am glad he overcome it already. And Sungyeol chose him too. ”
 
“ I see. ”
 
“ I made a promise to myself Sungjong. Victoria is mine. ”
 
“ What do you mean she’s yours? You said she has a family already and you have Woohyun-ssi! ”
 
“ I know. But what I am trying to say is that, Victoria’s past is mine. And shall remain with me. Myungsoo knows nothing of the kidnapping. And now you know, please keep it yours too. ”
 
“ Okay. I gotta go. ”
 
“ Where are you by the way, are you coming home for dinner? ”
 
“ Hoya hyung is treating me out. With Dongwoo hyung. We’ll be home late, just eat on your own. ”
 
“ All right. Again, I’m sorry Sungjong. I’ll have Myungsoo talk to you when you get back. I hope you will cooperate. And I want you to know that I am not taking sides. ” but Sungkyu heard only the dial tone. He slumped down on his bed, eyes focusing on the ceiling. “ Christmas is coming. I hope I can fix everything – whatever happened between Myungsoo and Sungjong, on the other hand, Sungyeol seems to be confused with the situation. How I seem to think that Dongwoo is feeling down this day, and Woohyun. Oh great. I noticed him felt sad, or was it jealousy? I saw it in his eyes when I told him Dongwoo and I’s story. And Hoya. I should start with him. ” he takes a deep breath and let out a sigh, shoulders drooping in. “ I promise I will end this complications before Christmas Eve. And the seven of us shall start a new year ahead. ”