Thirty One

She's My Monster
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Narrator POV

“Sorry for not planning a better proposal,” Mark spoke quietly making sure to not wake Haru who was sleeping on his shoulder. “I know that this was rushed and –…”

Lydia lifted herself on her tip toes and drowned his words with a kiss.

“I don’t need a million dollar proposal,” she rested her head on his other shoulder, “I just need you to be the one proposing.”

“But my girl deserves the best,” Mark pouted.

“You are the best,” Lydia poked his cheek  before they exited the elevator.

“I must have saved an entire planet in my past lifetime,” Mark mumbled as they walked down the corridor.

“I’m not all that great,” she blushed and took out the keys.

He stopped in front of her door, “And neither am I.”

“Which makes you two the perfect couple,” Daesung emerged from the space beside the door.

“Crap,” Mark flinched. He still wasn’t used to the wizard’s sudden appearances.

“Congratulations!” Daesung winked and handed Lydia a cupcake with a single candle on it, “I’m guessing it’s official,” he nodded at the new ring on her finger.

“Thanks,” Lydia grinned, even the tiredness from an entire day of work couldn’t drown out how vibrant she was right now.

“Well, I just came to retrieve my broom,” Daesung snapped his fingers and the door opened on its own, “I’ll be off.”

Mark bid him goodbye and went in first to put Haru to bed.

“By the way,” Daesung looked at Lydia, “Donghae’s final is coming up so we’ll be away for awhile to prepare for the test.”

“Is he finally getting to graduate?” her eyes shone with excitement.

“If he passes,” Daesung sighed, “he can’t even get the simplest spells right.”

“Well you guys still have a few weeks,” she encouraged, “Tell Donghae good luck. I’ll be waiting for the good news.”

“Thanks,” Daesung chuckled, her positivity was rubbing on him, “But hey,” he lowered his voice, “just because we’re busy doesn’t mean we’re throwing you away. If anything happens, contact us at once,” he handed her a little round ball, “Keep it with you 24/7, just smash that thing and we’ll be here.”

Lydia nodded and tucked the small marble safely into her pocket.

“Oh you’ll need a new manager and Donghae told me to apologise for not being able to look after Haru,” he glanced at her knowingly, “But it looks like you’ve got that all under control.”

“Don’t worry about me,” she reassured him, “Just focus on Donghae and his training… you do know that if he fails, half the reason is your fault.”

Daesung scoffed and flicked her on the forehead, “Oh he’ll pass for sure now,” he ruffled her hair, “I’ll see you in a while but remember, if you need me before that,” he pointed at her pocket.

She nodded, “Don’t worry,” she gave him a hug, “Good luck!”

Giving her one last smile, Daesung turned around and disappeared into the wall.

 

*                      *                      *

 

Lydia leaned against the door frame and watched.

Only the nightlight was but Mark had no problems navigating through the dark. His blazer was thrown aside and his sleeves were rolled up to his elbow. He uncapped a bottle and pulled out sanitized cotton balls before kneeling beside Haru’s bed to wipe her face. His fingers guided the cotton balls smoothly covering every inch and crack where oxygen touches.

“You’ve never ever done that for me,” Lydia walked over, “Haru-ah, I’m so jealous of you,” she teased bending down to kiss her sleeping daughter but Mark stopped her with a finger on her forehead.

“You’re wearing lipstick.”

She pouted and watched silently as Mark gently patted

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter