Fourteen

She's My Monster
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Narrator POV


“Let’s go, it’s not safe here.”

“No!” the younger kid was persistent, “I want to feed the lions!” 

“You’ll get hurt.” 

“No I won’t, they are nice to people.” 

“You don’t have to worry sir,” the trainer spoke, “we can guarantee your daughter’s safety.” 

“She’s not my daughter,” Mark mumbled the last part to himself as he hopelessly watched Haru leave with the zookeeper. He stood by himself outside of the metal fence. JB went to the washroom and somewhere along their trip Jackson had ditched with Allyson so Mark was left alone with Haru. 

The younger one insisted on feeding the lions whereas Mark was strongly against even going into the same room as these wild beasts. Maybe they were cubs, maybe they were trained, but it was an animal’s instinct to hunt, there was no guarantee that they wouldn’t suddenly attack. This was why Mark never liked Zoo’s. He always thought that animals were best left in the wild. It was better for both the animal and the human. 

He stood, silently fighting a dilemma inside as he watched Haru through the glass monument. The trainer gave her a demonstration, attaching a piece of raw meat onto the metal skewer before holding it out for the cub to jump and tear off the meat. 

There were three cubs and two trainers inside. One of them handed Haru a skewer, she took it without hesitating but something in her eyes made Mark uneasy. The trainer helped Haru feed the lion. 

“Good job!” the worker clapped for Haru, “Would you like to try it by yourself?” 

Haru nodded without saying anything. 

“Wow you’re brave,” the trainer praised Haru, “Your parents will be proud.” 

Mommy will be proud of me, the thought made Haru giddy and gave her a boost in her confidence. She took the new meat skewer and held it out like the trainer had showed her. 

This time it was the medium sized cub that wanted the meat. 

Mark watched from outside as he saw the cub approach Haru, he waited for her to hold the meat out like instructed but Haru just kept the meat close to her. As the cub advanced she stepped back. Mark glanced at the trainers; they had their attention on the two other cubs.

His feet were already moving towards the entrance as his eyes shifted back to Haru, the color had drained from her tiny face. Mark saw her hands shaking. 

“No Haru!” he ordered as his pace sped up, “Don’t run!” She was scared but if she ran the cub would chase her. 

Haru heard Mark’s voice, but it didn’t stop her from trembling in front of the giant cub that kept coming closer and closer. The cub was getting impatient and it let out a low purr while perching close to the ground getting ready to leap. 

“Mommy…” Haru’s sobbed softly, “Mommy save me…” 

The cub growled finally getting the trainers attention but they were too far away, they couldn’t do anything. 

“Haru throw the meat!” Mark commanded. He broke out into a run, his heart was pounding. He was panicking. 

“I can’t!” tears streamed down her face, “I’m scared! It’s going to eat me!”

The cub started trotting.  

Haru was increasing her speed but there’d be no way she’d out run a lion. 

The cub leaped.

Haru squeezed her eyes shut and screamed, “Daddy help me!” 

“Gotcha,” Mark scooped up Haru into his arms and lifted her high above the cub. Due to running too fast that Mark couldn’t stop on time and crashed into the side of the building. He cushioned the impact with his back so Haru wouldn't feel the collision.

Two injuries in two days but Mark didn’t care. 

“Haru,” he was breathing heavily but not so much from the running. “It is okay,” he patted her back to sooth her as she buried her face into his shoulder and cried. 

“You’re okay,” he leaned against glass and breathed, thanking every saint he could think of for keeping them safe. 

The trainers had restrained the cub and were all apologising nonstop for the accident. Usually Mark would swear and sue all of them but right now his one and only thought was to protect Haru. He didn’t even notice his back pain or the damage done to his pants by the cub. Guilt and self blame was all he could think of.  Just what kind of a person was he? He allowed a four year old to go in when he, the adult, doubted the safety regulations himself. 

If anything happened to Haru Mark would never forgive himself.  

 

*                      *                      *

 

“What are you two doing?” Lydia walked dizzily into the kitchen and saw the two wizards

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter