Chapter 5

Fix You
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Another two weeks passed and Donghae has learned everything that he needed to know. It wouldn't be possible without the help of Jessica, of course. During those two weeks that he spent with her, he noticed that she never changed. He thought that she was the type of person who only looks unapproachable and mean at first, but as you get to know them, they're really not like that.

She was different. Jessica Jung isn't like that. Her manner of speaking to him was still the same. Her facial expression didn't change as well. Donghae would ask himself everyday whenever he's alone the same thing; "Why won't she quit if she finds her job boring?"

If only he knew that she's the granddaughter of the CEO.


Donghae's now working in his office. He's doing everything alone, thanks to Jessica. His job was easy, or at least for him it is. He had the same position in his previous company, so he knows what to do, and Jessica helped him adjust and taught him the things that the director didn't. She also explained everything to him again, so it was really her doing. He honestly felt like he was a student again being asked by a terror teacher during an oral exam.

After reading and typing since the morning, he decided to take his lunch break. Just as he was going down to the company's cafeteria, he greeted the director who was also inside the lift. "Donghae-ssi, why don't you join me for lunch today?" It would be rude of him to decline to the director's offer, he thought. Not long after that, he found himself sitting across the director at the lunch table, eating with his boss.

"How was work so far?" The middle aged man smiled as he asked him.

After making sure that he swallowed the food in his mouth, he answered him. "It's alright, sir. Jessica-ssi also helped me." He smiled at him, reassuring that he was just doing fine.

"Not having a hard time?"

He thought for a while before he answered. "Not really, sir. It's not really difficult."

Director Kang nodded his head. "That's good to know. So how was it working with Jessica?"

"It's," he paused for a while to think of a word to describe it, but the director went ahead of him.

"Scary? Difficult?"

"I really won't say difficult. If I'll rate it from one to ten, I'll probably say," again, he paused to rate it properly. "Seven."

"Why seven?"

"Jessica-ssi was great. She really is, but she just seemed like she either wants to quit because she has to deal with me or she wants me gone at the office."

The middle-aged director chuckled with what Donghae had told him.

He was confused. He didn't know if he said something funny, but he didn't think that there was anything funny with what he said. "Sir, did I say something wrong?"

Director Kang kept shaking his head. "Let me guess. Just tell me honestly, you found her scary because she really showed no expression at all."

Donghae nodded shyly while looking down, eating another spoonful of his meal. "Sir, was she really like that even before I came here or she's just annoyed with me?"

Does he really know why his other human resource manager was like that? It's probably the reason why, but he didn't see Jessica growing up, so he can't make any assumptions. What if she was really like that when she was younger? It probably just added up to it, but he knows that it's not his job to gossip about the poor girl's life. He sighed at the thought of the incident that probably made her seem lifeless up to this very day before he answered Donghae. 

"Jessica's been like that since her very first day here at the office. She's just a really serious person. She's also an introvert. She only talks when she needs to. Don't be scared of her even if her voice and her face can seem intimidating. Always remember this, she's not annoyed with you and she doesn't want you out of the company. She was the one who screened you, which got you here."

"But when she helped me, she talks like she couldn't wait to go home."

Director Kang smiled at him. He found it funny how he feels like a teacher who's listening to a student's complain. "She really talks like that. That's her manner of speaking, but she's not disrespectful at all, right?"

Donghae shook his head because in the weeks that they spent together, he never got disrespected. In fact, she'll still use honorifics and she didn't make him feel stupid.

"Like I said, she's just a serious person. She's probably the type of kid who was quiet in the classroom and talked softly, didn't laugh at jokes because they seem to not make any sense, and won't laugh easily at anything. Don't worry, she doesn't hate you and do not ever think that she hates you for taking your job away from her because you didn't and she doesn't hate you. Jessica's just a reserved kid." He smiled at him after expl

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter