Chapter 18

Fix You
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Donghae told Jessica that it would be best for her to eat soup because she stayed outside for a long time and she might get sick. They were silent before the food arrived and they were both busy with their phones. Donghae was playing, while Jessica saw the messages sent by her grandmother. The old woman told her granddaughter that she was getting bored because her shopping buddy's not with her and she doubted it. She knew her grandmother to well and shopping is the old woman's favorite thing to do, so she won't be getting bored.

"Food's here." Donghae told Jessica that made her look up from her phone before keeping the device.

They ate in silence and didn't really know what to talk about. It was like a wall was in front of them because no one said a word to the other and just ate. As soon as they finished eating, Donghae thanked her and said that he'll drive her home and she had no objections. In the car, it was quiet again. "Can we stop by the playground first?"

He looked at her after she told him his request. "Uh, sure."

There was a playground near Jessica's house and he stopped driving. She opened the door and started walking to one of the benches. Donghae followed her and sat beside her. She stayed silent before pulling the plushie out of her bag again.

"You know when my sister was upset, she'd hold this and I'll be taking her to the playground." She smiled at the memory. "I'll be pushing her on the swing before buying her ice cream. After that, she'd ask me to hold this for her and she already forgot about getting one mistake in her seatwork." Her voice started shaking.

He looked at her and saw that she was looking at the plushie. "You don't have to keep your tears bottled up. I've already seen you cry."

Jessica kept telling him about her sister and all of them were happy memories of the sisters together. From the time that she held the newborn Krystal in the hospital until she joined her in watching Care Bears and tutoring her. She was crying while telling stories about her sister to him. She heaved a sigh and stopped speaking. "The last time I hugged her was when we were on the plane." Tears continuously flowed out of her eyes as she stopped her story there.

Donghae pulled her closer to her and let her lean her head on his shoulder and hugging the girl that was crying beside her. Just like before, she didn't push him away. He rubbed her back for comfort and he hugged her even tight when he felt her body shaking from crying too much, that even her breathing was affected. He should be pushing her away, but that's not what he needs to do right now because that will make him a jerk.

She sat beside him, her head resting on his shoulder and just cried. She was like a child who was crying because of throwing a tantrum. Little by little, her breaths stabilized and her tears no longer fell from her eyes before she raised her head that was leaning on his shoulder.

"Must've felt good. Releasing all those tears."

She didn't say anything and just nodded. "I'm sorry you had to see me like this. I look like a complete mess."

"No, you don't. We all need a good cry every once in a while. It's alright to feel sad and to cry. It makes you perfectly normal." He looked at her with his lips forming a thin smile.

Jessica looked at him and did the same thing. "Thank you."

"No big deal." His eyes landed on the slides before he looked at her again. "We better get you home. You've been outside for too long already."

They stood up at the same time before walking to the car together. Donghae helped her in closing the car door before moving to the driver's side of the car. It didn't take long for them to reach the Jungs' house because the playground was not too far away that they'll have to pass the highway. Jessica opened the door the same time Donghae did and she opened the mailbox to get the car keys before unlocking the gate.

Donghae noticed that only the outside of the house and the first floor was barely lit up. The house was big, but it was empty. "See you on Monday, Jessica."

"Wait."

He almost opened the car door, but he wasn't able to because of her.

"I'll make you a cup of hot chocolate before you go. You stayed with me outside as well."

"No, you don't have to." Again, his lips formed a thin smile. "Stop making me too close. I don't wanna get too close anymore," he said to himself mentally.

"It's my way of saying thank you." She stepped aside behind the gate to allow him to go inside. "Please."

"As you wish." He was stabbing himself mentally. She's making it hard for him to avoid her even more, but he, himself, didn't object when he could. He knows that he needs to push his feelings for Jessica aside, but he would always be defeated by it. Next thing he knew, he is walking inside the house and following her to the dining room, where the light wasn't dimmed aside from the light on the staircase.

She asked him to sit on one of the chairs and went to the kitchen to prepare his hot beverage for him. She carefully placed the mug on the table before going back to the kitchen and bringing another mug for herself and took her seat, joining Donghae.

"Thanks." He placed his both hands on the mug, surrounding it, and he liked the warm feeling. It was really cold outside and he actually needed this.

They drank their cup of hot chocolate in silence, not knowing who will start the conversation and not knowing what to say to the other.

"Are you going home tonight?"

He was shocked by her question that it m

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter