Warm winter

Mystery of Kang Seulgi?

Tuesday, 8.40 a.m.

YK woke up in the morning sleepily. She went for a bath and put on her uniform. She combs her shoulder length hair properly preventing birds from making nests for their eggs when  she goes to school later.

All ready and set, satisfied with her look, she goes out from her room expecting to be greeted by the fragrance of Wendy's delicious breakfast. But to her disappointment, nothing greets her nose.

YK scratched her head as she walks over to the empty table.

"Wandoo-yah!! Where are you??"

YK called out in hope to get a reply as she heads to Wendy's room.

*knock knock*

"Wandoo-yah~ I'm letting myself in."

YK popped her head through the small gap of the door after the knocks.

Wendy was laying on her bed. No sign of movement.

"Wendy!!"

YK rushed into the room to check on Wendy.

Wendy is sweating and panting heavily. Her cheeks were reddish.

YK feels her forehead with her palm. She was surprised from the heat she felt from Wendy.

"Yah~ Wendy-ah!! Holy sh-- you're burning!!"

"What should I do? What should I do? No.. Calm down. YK. Calm. Now think. What will Wendy do when you have a fever?"

YK put down her bag immediately and bolts to the bathroom to bring a pail of old water and some towels. She wets one towel and folds it into a rectangle shape and placed it on Wendy's forehead. She takes another from the cold water and wipes the body, hands and legs hoping to cool her temperature down.

 

YK sees Wendy curling up into a ball under the sheets.

"Don't overthink, Yeon. Just keeping her warm." YK mumbled to herself and dived under the sheets. She hugged Wendy so tight that she doesn't mind the burning heat from Wendy that is making her sweating as if she is in a sauna. Just like that, she decided to take a nap knowing that she won't be going to school.

 

Wendy was in the verge of waking up as she tries to turns around to shift her position but then realized that she couldn't. A familiar scent triggered her nose, carefully Wendy prys an arm of YK from herself and turns around. She was surprised with their distance. YK snuggled closer and hugged Wendy tighter as if taking her as a pillow. Wendy blushed at the contact as she stayed still, cuddling close to YK.

 

 

10.30 a.m

YK had been doing the same thing for the past two hours. The water was no longer as cold. YK gets up from the chair and brings the pail to the kitchen as she tries to break the ice cubes from the freezer.

🎶  QUEST FOR LOVE, QUEST FOR DREAM, QUEST FOR ALL TRUTH!! 🎶 (YK's ringtone for Detective club Katalk)

"What's up?" Yk answers the call without looking at the collar ID since she recognize the ringtone.

"Where the hell are you? You missed the first period of class, no where to be found and your classmates said you didn't even come?" Joy nagged over the line.

"I'm at home. But from the look of it,---- *crash* I won't be going to school today."

"Why? And what's that crash sound I just heard."

"I'm breaking a block of ice. And well, Wendy is got a high fever so I'm gonna stay with her."

"What the heck! You should send her to the hospital!!" Joy yelled over the line.

"What? Send who to the hospital?"

YK heard another voice asked from the other side, that's definitely their Baechu on halmoni (grandmother) mode.

"I wanted to. But Wendy hates hospitals. She'll freak out if she woke up there. Wendy's doctor already checked on her an hour ago. If his medicine worked as it's supposed to, she'll be fine."

'Or else?"

"Or else I'm gonna fried that doctor and feed his flesh to the sharks. Look, don't worry. I'll borrow notes from classmates and such. Besides, our exams are over and it's almost the end of the semester. Who cares if I missed a few classes."

 

Not sure if YK's ear are just so sensitive or it's just super sensitive to Wendy's voice because while on the phone with Joy as well as breaking the ice, she still manage to hear Wendy's soft and weak voice calling her name.

"Yeon~"

YK heard the faint voice and turned towards Wendy's room. As expected, Wendy holding on to the wall and leans on it for support as she tries to walk to her.

"Gotta go. Looks like the doctor won't be shark food after all." YK said to Joy on the phone and hangs up. She throws her phone to the couch and rushed over to Wendy who is about to fall. Yk sighs in relief when she catches Wendy in time.

"You shouldn't get off bed, pabo." YK scolded in a gentle tone and helped Wendy get back to her bed adn makes her lie down.

"Why are you here?"

"Er.. This is my house? Obviously. Now say 'ah'~" YK put the thermometer under Wendy's tongue to check her temperature. She pulls it out a minute later.

"Good. It's slowly decreasing."

"I mean shouldn't you be at school?"

"Who cares. Exam is over. I'm not in the mood for school today."

"But you're in your uniform and your bag is right there and you aren't in the mood for school? Whatever happens to the 'no lies between us' rules."

"............ You're sick. Badly. And partly I'm at fault. So... Yeah.. well.. You know what I mean." YK pouted earning herself a weak smile from the patient.

"Yeon, don't blame yourself. Who would've thought that the cold breeze will blow that day? Now go to school. I'm fine."

"Can you please stop pushing me away at times like this?"

"I'm not pushing you away, Yeon. I just want you to go back to school."

"What's the point? I'll be daydreaming there and worry about you. I won't be able to focus in class anyway. It's a waste of time. I'd rather stay here."

".... How bout this. I'll report to you every 30 minutes of whatever I'm doing in here. Then you'd know what I am doing while you're in school. Okay?"

".............."

Until this point, she knows that Wendy is determined to make her go to school for the second half of the day. YK sighs in defeat as she knows there's no point arguing with the president.

Pouting, YK said "Fine. Every half an hour, okay?" YK reconfirmed as she picks up her bag from the floor. Wendy nodded as a reply.

With heavy steps, YK heads to school.

 

 

12.50pm (10 minutes before the first period of class after lunch hour)

*Beep*

[Wandoo] Got hungry, having fruits for snacks. Natural vitamins are better than meds. :)

[Yeon] Good. Can I seriously go home? The next half of the class is hell without you. SCIENCE!!! I need a sweet escape!!!

[Wandoo] No. Stay there. You need to take down notes for me too ya'know.

[Yeon] B--but... Human anatomy is such an eww topic. I'd rather still learn about photosynthesis and chlorofluorocarbon or whatsoever..... :'(

[Wandoo] Teehee.

[Yeon] Holy macaroni! Pop quiz. Can I burn the paper!

[Wandoo] NO! Now pay attention and answer anything you know. As your private tutor over the years, I believe you could pass it. Hwaiting!

 

If anyone could see Wendy's face when she was texting with Yeon, they might think she's crazy because she's being all giggly and chuckling by herself.

 

 

3.40 pm

"Oh my gawd. An hour more to go. " YK complained to nobody. 20 minutes ago, Wendy said she felt sleepy and went to sleep leaving YK bored in class.

"YK, someone is asking for you."

one of her classmate informed.  YK looked out to the door, it's Seulgi.

 

"it's rare that you're looking for me. What is it?" They talked at the corridor.

"Erm.. It's just... about the school's special event coming up. I heard it's an annual routine."

"Special event? You meant the Christmas Party? Well it is an annual thing. And that was what the musical play were for. And some some students put up some performance and such. Why?"

"I heard that it's open to public?"

"Oh yes it is. But limited to school students around this area only."

"So some boys will be around that day, huh?" Seulgi suddenly sounded unhappy.

"Er.. I guess. But that's only during 2nd half of the party. First half will still be among us. "

"Oh." the only word Seulgi said and left.

"GUYS!! CLASS CANCELED SO EVERYONE, GO HOME!! one classmate ran from the corridor and barged into the class with the announcement. The whole class roared in happiness.

YK wasted no time and took her bag before bolting off from the school compound.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Home sweet Home

YK carefully opened the door and entered the house. Being extra sneaky and quiet hoping she won't wake Wendy up.

Then, she tossed her bag on the couch and went to check on her.

"She's still sound asleep. " YK mumbled and pulled up the cover more. Then she goes to the kitchen and started to cook.

 

 

 

6.30 pm

Wendy woke up after few hours of nap. A nice fragrant tickled her nose as she sniffs the air. She gets off from bed and makes her way to the kitchen.

"Good morning~" YK greeted in half-sarcasm with a bright smile. Wendy smiled as well and looked at the food on the table.

"Woah. You cooked all these?" YK pulls Wendy's chair for her like some sort of a gentleman would do to their dates.

"Well, it's nothing much compared to your skills but it's the least I could make." YK said as she sat next to Wendy.

"Are these edible?" Wendy said jokingly as she points to the chicken soup and porridge.

"Ofcourse! It's my best dish I could make. Atleast for a patient." YK chuckled. Wendy carefully scoop the soup and tasted it then the porridge. She nodded in confirmation.

"Taste good." She said.

 

 

 

 

 

About a week later... Xmas Party is around the corner...

 

Wendy humming some random tune while doing chores.

 

After doing chores, she'd scribble some random words on her scrapbook.

 

Wendy is planning to perform for Christmas and she wants to perform a self-composed song for YK.

 

Flashes of past images swam past her mind like a movie theater while she writes, an obvious smile remains on her lips with a fluttering heart.

 

"I'm going out" Wendy announced and exits the house. It has been like that after she recovered from fever.

 

 

 

 

 

Irene's house

Seulgi is on top of Irene on the bed, smooching every corner of her lover tenderly with heated kiss. Irene ran her hands on Seulgi's firm toned abs.

"Wow. Somebody workout a lot."

Irene's remark earned her a small chuckle from Seulgi.

When they were about to go further, Seulgi's phone rings. Seulgi glared at her phone which is on the night stand and pouted at Irene.

"Answer it." Irene said.

"Can I not?" Seulgi asked which Irene shook her head as a reply.

Seulgi climbs herself off from Irene and answer the call.

"Hey, what's up?"

"Uh huh?..hmm..."

"Okay. I'll be right there."

"Who is it?" Irene questioned as she wraps her arms around Seulgi in a back-hugging way.

"Wendy. She needs me to help her with something so...." Seulgi looks at Irene apologetically. Irene gives her lover a peck on the lips and a smile of reassurance

"Go. Be safe."

With that from Irene, Seulgi went off. Although deep inside Irene wanted to go along, but if Wendy decided to call Seulgi instead of her, it wouldn't be something related to their club.

Besides, After their club was canceled in the list of clubs in school, they haven't been doing anything exciting at all.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

D-Day Gomdori High Pre-Xmas Party

Irene, Joy, Yeri and YK arrived together and gathered at a corner nearest to the stage. They were chattering random topics, mostly complaining how boring it was without their Detective activities.

"Where's the bear unnie?" Joy asked Irene.

"She said she needs to be here early because she needs to rehearse." Irene answered.

"Rehearsed? Will she be performing?" -YK

"Seems like it. She had been going out without me for a whole week."

"What about hamster unnie?" -Yeri

"Hams--I mean Wendy also left early today. Wait... Is Seulgi and Wendy part of the performing list?" YK asked as she realized that Wendy too had been acting strange for a week. Usually Wendy would tell her where she's going or who is she meeting up with but for the whole week, all she said was 'I'm going out.'

Then, the MC of the day announces that the opening performance. What makes the ears of Irene and YK perked up was the familiar names that comes after the title of the song.

"An opening performance from two lovely ladies. They will be singing 'With You' by The Blues. Put your hands together for... SEULGI AND WENDY!!!"

The curtain raised revealing two familiar figure standing on the stage with mic in their hand.

"Daebak sagon" Joy muttered as Irene, Yeri, and YK had their jaws hung agape in surprised and awe because the lighting behind them makes them shine brighter.

Seulgi looks at Irene, Wendy looks at YK. They looked at each other through the whole song once the instrumental recorded starting to play.

 

                                           

 

[WENDY]

My dear, look at my eyes
So that I can go into your eyes
Now tell me honestly
Don't hide it anymore

 

[SEULGI]

My dear (my dear), close your eyes
Even if your eyes aren't open
You can see with your heart


[BOTH]

Stay by my side just like this
So I can always feel you breathing
I didn't tell you even once for a long time

[WENDY] But my heart for you is always the same
[BOTH] From the moment we first met
To my last days

[SEULGI] Only you are in my heart,
till whenever

[BOTH] I didn't tell you even once for a long time
But my heart for you is always the same
From the moment we first met
To my last days
Only you are in my heart

[WENDY] Until forever

[BOTH] Oh, Oh, Until forever

 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SCrjWKutAwc (Wendy, Seulgi - With You)

 

After the song ended, Seulgi and Wendy bowed to the audience. Then Seulgi left the stage and joins in with the others.

"Is this what you and Wendy were up to for a whole week?" Irene hits her girlfriend with light punches.

"Nae~ Did I do well? I was so nervous back there. And that song fits well with the words that we were trying to convey all this while." Seulgi chirped cheerfully.

"Aish Jinjja.. But why is Wendy still up there."

"Ah~ She told me she composed a song."

Wendy comes out from the backstage with an acoustic guitar.

"Thank you, Seulgi for doing the duet with me. You were great. " Wendy said and gives a thumbs up to Seulgi.

"She was great, right?" Wendy asks the audience earning loud roars of "YESSS!!!"

"For the next song , I composed this in a week span. It has been the words that I have never been able to expressed to someone whom I've met during my darkest and coldest times. This song . is for you. It's called Warm Winter." Wendy looked at YK when she said that last word. Ofcourse under the influence of Wendy and her love for music,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Flms1mbG-A  (Clown - guitar instrumental) A/N: Don't try searching for any songs in Google u wont find it..XD I just wrote it out. Note: in brackets are Wendy's voice in her heart 'speaking' to YK

Little Me,

Feeling helpless in the dark,

Feeling lonely in the cold,

You've found me,

(Yeon, Did you hear this? This is for you)

You became my sun, my hope, my happiness

You gave me a warm winter.

Seeing the world as a dark mean place

All these while,

(Because of you I found myself)

Suddenly you came into my life,

Bringing a dim light into my dark world brightening it ever since,

Showing rainbows exists in the world,

(Because of you, I am who I am today. I would have been rotting in the street if you didn't come by)

You are my warm winter

Ever since

 

While Wendy was strumming the guitar, she was looking at YK all these time, conveying her deep feelings she had for her since childhood.

Maybe it was because of Wendy's influence, she understood the meaning of the whole song and the message behind it.

Wendy received roars and thunderous clap from the audience after a great performance. After Wendy returned the guitar and gathered with the Detectives, she is prepared for a storm QnA session.

"When the heck you two prepared all these. It's wow." Joy commented.

"Thanks. It was a last minute practice and stuff. A week prior. Glad it turned out well." Seulgi said and raised a hand to Wendy.

Wendy highfived with Seulgi proudly. "Thank you Seul-Bear."

"No I am the one suppose to thank you. Thank you for choosing me as your duet partner."

"Cut it out you two. And Wendy, your bestfriend is lost in space." Joy remarked as she sees YK spacing out while staring at Wendy.

Wendy turned to her left. Their face was so close together which made Wendy blush. But nevertheless, Wendy playfully pinched YK's nose to stop her breathing until YK comes back to earth from space.

'HAhaha. That's for spacing out on me." Wendy giggled.

"HAHAHAHA. YK the red nose reindeer. Looks like Rudolph could get a day off this year from Santa and have you replace him." Joy remarked sarcastically earning a necklock from YK.

"Excuse you!!!!"

"AH!!! HELP!! YK is trying to murder me!!!"

"HAHAHAHA" The others incuding Yeri only laughed at their antics. Once Yk let go of Joy, Joy did the same to Yeri

"Ahhh!! HELP!!!"

"How dare you laughed at me instead of saving my life, you Squirtle!!!"

"Kyaaa~ I'm sorry I'm sorry I'm sorry~~"

 

 

 

 

 

Wendy was out at the balcony breathing in some fresh air.

"Hey~" YK greeted as she joins her.

"Nice composition back there. As expected of my Wandoo." YK hugged her.

"Look erm.. I know this might not be the right time to ask but.. If I don't ask now, I might not have the courage to ask later."

Yk had made up her mind. After dragging the incident for weeks and even months, she decided to risk everything on the line.

"If you're gonna ask about the park incident... Can we just forget it?"

"Wait. What? Forget it? Come on, Wan-ah. Is there something you're not telling me?"

"Nothing. I'm gonna take a stroll in the garden."

 

 

 

At the rose garden

Wendy POV

I'm strolling alone at night in the rose garden of our school. It is one of our hang out place when we feel the need for nature.

Thoughts constantly ran through my mind.

What I am afraid of has finally happened: Yeon confronting about the peck in the park.

How could I tell her?

Tell her that 'Hey I have a crush on you since childhood.'

Then what? What if she doesn't feel the same way? I don't want to loose her in anyway.

Then I felt someone pulled my wrist halting my steps. I looked back, it was YK.

"Who told you to run away like that?"

She scolded.

"Let it go. I don't want to ruin our friendship!!!"

"Ruin our friendship? Whatever happened to 'No lies between us' thing? and the 'No secrets' rules, huh? If you have something , say it out. We will work out a solution together no matter what it is... Just.. talk.. please.."

After Yeon said that I realized that Yeon is determined to get an answer today. After conflicting for almost half an hour as we sat on the bench, I decided to come out clean no matter what the outcome is.

"I... I like you... " I started. I looked down to my fingers as I plays with them, avoiding looking for signs that Yeon will freak out and ran away.

"I like you too." I heard her say. But I'm sure it's a different kind of like.

"No. I Like... like you.. As in... Seulgi and Irene kind of like.. "

"That's what I am saying. I like-- no wait let me rephrase that.. I love you."

I heard Yeon said. I raised my head and looked at her in the eye. I see sincerity. I see flowers blooming and fireworks although fireworks display is about an hour away from now.

"Don't ask me since when it started because I had no idea. I've only started to realize that I treat you like a mix of childhood best friend and a lover. Aish. What am I even talking about? I mean sometimes we bicker like siblings and other times I feel like protecting you at all costs. It is what best friends do however, best friends dont get jealous. I do. Remember when you were so occupied with a kid that day last year and he give a peck on your cheeck after he found his parents, I swore I almost killed him in an instant. And it pains me when  see you in pain or sick and.. erm... " Yeon started to blush. Looks like she started to realize what she was saying. Yeon is always like that, she realize things few seconds later.

*aheM * Yeon cleared . "And... During the time when you were away, I missed you more than I should be."

"But we can't?" I said.

"Why not? Seulgi and Irene can be together, why not us?"

"BECAUSE.... What if we break up, huh? We can't be friends anymore that time."

"Mwoya. You're worried about that? Who's the pabo now?"

"What do you mean."

"Look. I've thought about that too but what if it's the other way around. We grow old together and still in love like newlyweds. Isn't that wonderful?"

"What if it's just a temporary spark and not love.." I asked...

"W--W--w--what if----"

I was silenced by a tender lips on mine. My mind tells me to pull back, push her away but my heart told me otherwise. I wraps my arms around Yeon and we kissed for a moment before she pulled away.

"There is no 'what if's pabo. We have a 10 years friendship in line. Scientist says that friendship more than 7 years is likely unbreakable. And we know each other well enough. I won't do anything that will hurt you. I knew how sensitive you are although you only showed your smile to the world but I see everything since childhood. Didn't you always told me to follow my heart? Then you should do the same. Life is too short to worry about the future."

Yeon is right. Living the present is wiser that worry about the future, right?

"So... Do I get a yes, or do I get a no?"

Without a single word, I launched myself to Yeon hugging her tightly.

"Erm.. Y-Yeobong?"

I heard her soft whisper and nodded.

 

=========================

TBC>>>

A/N: *pops confetti* Yays! Now YOU and Wendy are a couple..XD What kind of dates do you want to do with her? Drop it in the comments. I'll insert the dates you want with Wendy in future chapters. :D