Chapter 3 - Abyss

A Thousand Tales - A Collection of One Shots and Short Stories

 

Everything about her was lovely. She had doe eyes and a sharp chin. was soft and he felt a strange desire to kiss her. Her figure, encased by the clinging black dress, was desirable. He liked the way her waves framed her face. Kris took a step forward.

      “Who are you?”

      She smiled and once more he was struck by how beautiful she was. Her voice when she spoke was lyrical. “I’m your worst nightmare.”

      Kris scoffed. Somehow, encased by the glass walls with her reflection shooting at him in every direction, and with her herself in front of him, he doubted it. She raised an eyebrow. “If you must know, my name is Yoona but I am your worst nightmare.”

      “Is this all in my head?” He decided to get things straight.

      She chuckled. “In your head? What exactly do you mean? Are you physically with me?”

      He reached a hand out and she stepped away. “I’m an illusion. But I’m real enough that you can sense me. I’m here because your life is filled with twists and you haven’t done anything to sort them out. One day, your emotions are going to overwhelm you and you’re going to be locked in your own labyrinth.”

      Yoona stepped away. Kris’ mouth went dry. What did she mean? Was he going mad? She gestured at the trapdoor that miraculously appeared underneath her. “Beneath this is the key to help. You need that help, Kris. Please. You’re going to have to face your past.”

      He gave her a blank look. “My past?” The word felt stale in his mouth. He didn’t have a past. All he knew was that he was running, hiding.

      Words appeared on the trapdoor.

Welcome to your deadly abyss.

            Kris stared at her. “How can you be a part of me? I saw you write on the paper the other day! You exist.”

            She smiled indulgently. “I do exist, but only in your fantasies. I’ve been unlocked by all your suppressed emotions.”

            “I saw you write!”

            She smirked. Even the cruel expression was beautiful on her. “No, you mean, you saw yourself write. But you were too willing to see something else that you deluded yourself into thinking that it was me. Look again.” Somehow, she reproduced the scene. Rather he saw his own scrawl and his own hand move across the page. He glanced up at her. She was solid though.

            “Can I touch you?”

            She shook her head. “I don’t exist. I’m just here to remind you that you have to face your fears. You need to open the trapdoor and let it once more enter you. You need to let yourself go. You need to sort things out, not cram everything into your mind.”

            His voice broke. “Please.” He reached out a hand and moved towards her. She was so close. He could feel her. He could feel her body heat. She was too real. Kris gulped. Someone so beautiful shouldn’t be a figment of his imagination. Yoona’s lips pressed into a line. He could almost feel her. She was right by him.

            “I’m sorry, Kris.” Her eyes brimmed with sorrow but it was determination that lined her face. To his dismay, she turned around and walked a few steps. She gave him one last lingering look.  It hit him square in the chest.

Suddenly, she vanished and the glass wall started to crumble. Kris’ vision started to become hazy. He lunged for the trapdoor and opened it. From within, he heard voices crying for help, screams of agony, but everything seemed so familiar. He recognized the cries, his and his mothers, the screams and the angry words. He didn’t want to. He wanted to remain at bay.

            But Yoona’s words still echoed. He wanted to move forward. He cried. Kris’ hands started to shake and the trapdoor threatened to burst open. He fought to slam it down. Yoona’s voice echoed. “Don’t fight what is meant to be.”

            With a slam, Kris closed the trapdoor, felt peace for a few seconds, and just like Yoona had promised. His world came toppling down. He woke up but not to life, but rather to reality. Kris opened his eyes and suddenly, he was at the mercy of his own abyss. 

 

This one has been twirling in my head for a while. Sorry it took so long to finish ♥

As always, make of it what you will~