Chapter 3 - Dance the Hurt Away

A Thousand Tales - A Collection of One Shots and Short Stories

 

The entire evening, the music pulsed and throbbed underneath the throng of dancers. Yoona awkwardly placed her fifth glass on the table and waited for Changmin to come back. He had gone off to take care of some businesses and now she was both. She really liked her date, but it had taken all her willpower to not look over at where the star couple was dancing.

                There was a tap on her shoulder and she turned to see a very drunk Kyuhyun staring at her. How he obtained the alcohol she didn’t want to know. That’s what happened when he hung out with the wrong crowd. She failed to feel sympathy for him but his devastatingly handsome face was still in front of her.

                “Yoong, why are you all alone? You look pwetty, did I tell you that? Yorrnngg, I like yer hair. Ish very curly. Where is that dork photographer of yours? Did he aba-aban-hic-abandon his pretty date?” he reached out a hand to steady his swaying and Yoona jerked away.

                “You’re drunk,” she told him matter-of-factly. “It’s disgusting. You don’t know what you’re saying. Go back to Jessica.” She pushed him gently away.

                He pouted and, the Gods help her, he was still undeniably adorable. “I love you Yoong. Why are you running away from me? Stop pushing me away. I want you.”

                All of the hate in her heart slowly dried into crumbs and she felt herself melt slowly. He wanted her. Granted, he didn’t say he loved her, but he wanted her. He saw her as more than just the boyish friend from elementary school. But there was Changmin. Changmin, who happened to be approaching them once more. When he saw Kyuhyun he pursed his lips and walked briskly to Yoona’s side.

                “Kyuhyun? I think Jessica’s looking for you.” He pointed at the disgruntled and very drunk blonde laughing in the center of the dance floor and guided Kyuhyun back in the direction.

                He sighed and looked back at Yoona. Her jaws were set and she was visibly upset. But when Changmin walked back to her, she smiled and grabbed his hand. “We’re going to be dancing. For the rest of the night.”

                She pressed herself into him and danced with all her skills. Changmin was an excellent partner, he matched her every movement and returned them with powerful actions of his own. She didn’t need Kyuhyun. She didn’t need somebody who was going to only break her heart. She had Changmin. His strong hands held firmly onto her waist and she couldn’t help but marvel at what a huge change he had undergone in the span of a few hours. He was confident and his button down shirt had opened up to reveal a span of smooth chest muscle. It was strange to see that underneath the nerdy look was this delicious guy.

                She raised her arms in the air and he leaned in and gently kissed her neck. His long fingers slid up the length of her leg and he pressed himself softly against her. He was hard to the touch and so different from Kyuhyun. She glanced over his broad shoulders and found her former best friend glaring at her. His drunken eyes bore beadily into hers and she was forced to look away. It wasn’t easy to dance the hurt away.

                When the dance ended, Changmin  pulled her out of the room, determined to get Yoona away before her very drunk best friend decided to come looking for her. He didn’t feel like sharing. After years of working up the courage to speak to her, he could not believe how easy it was for him to even score a date with her.

                The outside air was refreshing compared to the previously suffocating musk of human sweat, spilled juices and energy. He took her hand and led her to a small corner around the side of the balcony.

                Yoona leaned against the railing and studied him. “Changminnie, how did you do that?”

                “Do what?”

                “How in the world did you turn so fast? You were the dorky guy with the glasses and camera. How?”

                He smiled. “I guess I liked being inconspicuous. It made it easier for me to be able to observe people. It’s too exhausting to be decent looking I suppose.”

                “Decent looking? Goodness, Changmin, I would not even use that to describe you. You’re… unbelievably attractive.” She blushed after uttering those words and looked away.

                “You’re too kind. But I must say, I’m impressed with Kyuhyun. He didn’t seem like the type who would be able to get Jessica to say yes.”

                “Can we not mention him? He’s just an idiot. I think he deserves to be with Jessica.”

                Changmin chuckled softly. Oh to be spurned by your crush must hurt. “Yoona, can I know something? Did you say yes out of pity? We’re not going to last as anything are we? Tonight was just tonight.”

                There was a soft silence and apprehension settled over him like mist covering the beaches ahead of them. He had done it. He had broken the magic. “I did say yes out of pity. But, you’re an amazing person. I think, I think if given the chance, I would like there to be an us.”

                The heavy feeling dissipated and Changmin smiled. “What about Kyuhyun? Wouldn’t he always be there, a shadow hanging over your feelings?”

                “I won’t deny that won’t happen. But I think given time I will be able to forget him. He’s not meant for me. It doesn’t matter.” The music boomed, shaking the ground underneath them as the doors opened. There was a muffled giggle and the slurping sounds of two people making out. They turned to see Jessica and Kyuhyun slowly stumbling their way towards them, eating at each other’s faces.

                Yoona tried to move away but Jessica tripped over her, causing the two to stop and stare at the obstacle in their way. Kyuhyun managed to look slightly ashamed and he held out his hand.

                “Yoona.”