Chapter 2 - Out For A Day

A Thousand Tales - A Collection of One Shots and Short Stories

 

Donghae held her hands up in his and smiled. “I really really missed you.” He placed her hands over his heart and she laughed at the absolute cheesiness of it all. Maybe if it wasn’t for this party, she would actually be able to enjoy their time together. The train chugged along slowly and Donghae got bored.

                “Talk to me,” he whined. He placed his head down on her lap, earning them stares from the old lady sitting across from there. “So, how’s school? How’s life? Talks, I feel neglected.”

                Maliha looked down at him. He peered back up innocently. “Will you please sit back up? This is embarrassing. The old lady is watching. She disapproves.”

                Donghae rolled his eyes. “Is it our stop next?” She checked the map and nodded. “Good, cause you’re not going to like this. Hey, guys!” He held up her left hand. “This pretty lady right here is my wife and so kindly stop staring.” He spoke loudly and directed his words at the old woman.

                Maliha’s mouth dropped open, absolutely mortified. The woman gave them an uncomfortable stare. The moment the doors opened, Maliha wretched her hand away from Donghae’s grasp and started powerwalking to the 7 line. There was absolutely no way she would forgive him. Ever.

                But his long legs allowed him to catch up to her easily, and he knocked her out from the knees, and swept her up in his arms. “Put me down! You’re so embarrassing. I don’t want to be seen with you.” She didn’t care that she was making a scene now.

                Donghae shrugged as if he had to handle this all the time. “Sure, sweetie. Unfortunately, you can’t exactly tell your husband to go away, that would be cruel no? So I guess I’ll have to carry you all the way to the 7.”

                Maliha twisted and turned, trying to fall out of his grip, but it was lock tight. Finally she gave up and just sulked until they boarded the empty 7 line. She hated him for being such a party wrecker and for being so embarrassing to be around. A bunch of girls entered their cart and immediately began whispering amongst themselves. If you could call it whispering.

                “Oh my gosh, is that Donghae?” one of them gasped.

                “Yeah, why is he here? Why is he on the 7? Oh my gosh, that’s the girl he married. Gosh, I hate her. Why can’t we be this lucky. And she’s not even talking to him”

                “Yeah, Maliha. You got lucky. Why aren’t you talking to me?” Donghae mumbled into her ear. She glared at him and stuck out her tongue. Why was he so annoying and persistent.

                Donghae didn’t even glance at the fangirls before he leaned into her and kissed her. “There, that should get you to forgive me.” There was a burst of squealing which the two ignored. Maliha looked down at her hands. Gah, what was it about this boy that made her all happy and melty inside, regardless of what he did.

                He held her hand and they walked happily on the busy streets. The mob of Asianness hit her and she realized what she has done. She has taken Donghae straight into fangirl territory. But it seemed as if nobody bothered to assault him at all. Her phone buzzed and she checked it discreetly.

                Hi, everything is in control over here. You just have fun. And don’t worry about the fangirls. I have posted a request on every facebook and media forum asking ELFs to leave you two alone. I hope it’s working. I just want it to be you two, and nothing else. Oh by the way, Hyuk ate all the strawberries for the cake. BUT do not fear, I shall buy mores. ♥

                She chuckled at her friend’s crazy enthusiasm and mentally thanked her for thinking ahead. Donghae pulled her into Red Mango. “Look, we can share a really big yogurt together! Ooh, and there are also booths here. We can snuggled over theres,” he pointed at a secluded booth in the corner.

                Maliha blanched but she chanted in her head, it’s his birthday. He’s here to see me, I’ll let him do almost anything he wants. He ordered one with peach, tea, and pomegranate. At the topping booth, he piled on loads of mocha, and strawberries. Strawberries. She bolted upright. The party. She has to monitor it. But then she remembered, she had her friends taking care of it.

                “Open up,” Donghae commanded. He lifted a huge spoonful and placed it in front of . She let him put the spoon in and he smiled happily. “Good?” she nodded. Donghae reached for her hand and put it against his cheek. “Thank you for being amazing. I know I’m not home enough and it’s my fault. But I’m always thinking of you. I feel so bad making you always wait for me.”

                She put a finger on his lips. If he kept talking, she would start crying, and that was a no no. She has shed enough tears over this party, she was not going to cry anymore. Finishing up the yogurt, she took his hand and dragged him out the door into the sunshine. No more of this depressing talk.

                “Hey, Donghae,” she turned to smile up at him. “Wanna see something really cool? I promise you will feel at home.”

                He looked at her with his classic cute intrigued expression and nodded. Anything she wanted to do with him was fine. He just wanted to be with her. He walked alongside her, looking at the winding alleys and decided Flushing was a hard place to get around. But the Korean signs did help somewhat.

                She led him to a large boulevard and stopped in front of a large shady looking building. “Erm, Maliha? Can’t we wait until we get home to do anything?”

                She shushed him, waving off what he thought she was implying. She took him in and he smiled. Lined against the walls on one half of the building were puppies, scrambling in their cages. The other side had large tanks, filled with exotic fish. His eyes were immediately drawn to the tanks of clownfish.

                Maliha watched with satisfaction as he pressed his face up against the glass and made the fishy lips he was so famous for. He then went around to the other side and picked up puppies, laughing as they eagerly his face. Maliha picked a white puppy up and handed it over to him.

                He smiled a little sadly. “This reminds me of Bada,” he mused. She nodded.

                “Get it. Give Choco a friend. Buy it,” Maliha encouraged.

                But Donghae shook his head. “Not yet. I want to have a family first, then I’ll expand to pets. For now, I have you and that’s enough.” Maliha blushed and looked down at the floor. Donghae picked up her hands and leaned into her. When he was one centimeter away, the owner of the pet store coughed slightly.

                Donghae straightened abruptly and smiled angelically. He tugged her out of the store, and began navigating the winding alleyways again. By now it was getting dark and Maliha was getting anxious. She let her hand slip from his grasp and quickly checked her phone. There were no new messages. She wasn’t sure if that was a good thing or a bad thing. Maybe it’s all under control, she thought.

                Donghae looked down curiously. “Why are you checking your texts when you’re with me? Am I boring you?” He pouted. His eyebrows drew down together and his eyes grew wider.

                She laughed. “No, silly Fish. Come on, we should go home.” She started walking away only to turn back around when he didn’t follow. “Come on! What are you waiting for?”

                He blinked at her. “Kiss me. You hurt my feelings. Now kiss me.” He tilted his head off to the side and waited in anticipation.

                Maliha felt a sudden urge to smack him. Why must he make things so complicated? And they were still in public for goodness sake! She shook her head but he only stayed in his position. Minutes passed, with the two fighting the war of wills.

                Finally she gave in. His birthday, she reminded herself. Marching up to him, she pecked him on the cheek. “Okay, we can go now.”

                Donghae shook his head. “Nope. That wasn’t good enough.” He cupped her face gently and brought his mouth down to hers.

                By the time they got home, Maliha was relieved to see that everything has been put away. The tent was hidden and the entire house was immaculate. There wasn’t a single piece of paper out of place. Donghae picked her up and carried her into the room, closing the door behind him gently.