In The Middle of The Night Part I

A Thousand Tales - A Collection of One Shots and Short Stories

 

Part I

               Footsteps were shuffling behind you and you could hear the fallen leaves rustle as another presence passed by them. The sky was dark and night was creeping in, a cape veiling the overhead lights. The sidewalk was empty and you shivered as a lone breeze past through you, chilling you to the bone.

               You hugged your sweater closer to you and remained on high alert. You barely paid attention to where your feet were falling; you were so concentrated on the footsteps behind you. You wanted to break out into a run but that would be too dangerous. Not yet. You just had to cross this one road to get back into civilization.

               You turned the corner and entered an unfamiliar alley. Suddenly, the sounds behind you stopped. You risked a glance back and saw that the field behind you was empty. Sighing with brief relief, you allowed yourself to believe that you had imagined it all. It was late, and you were tired. Imaginations always seemed to run wild when this happened.

               When you left the alley, you cursed, realizing that you had gone the wrong way. Great. Now you had to walk all the way around the abandoned buildings and past another field to get home. Well, you hitched your bag higher up your hip, you had time anyway. Yes, it was midnight, but at least you were alone.

               Owls hooted, their sounds echoed throughout the forest and to the strip of urban that you were currently walking through. The constant changes between city and forest were enough to make anyone dizzy. The fog had cleared a bit and you could see the moon. The moon was almost full, you noticed. It was a pretty, plump silver and provided a sense of protection. A rat scurried past you and you yelped, jumping a bit, breaking out of your reverie.

               This was the last time you stayed late to help your boss organize his files, you promised yourself. Damn, you really hated that man sometimes. Not only was he a forty-year old married man with a pot belly, he also found it amusing to smack your behind every time he saw you. But he paid well and your mother depended on the salary you brought in.

               A cluster of flowers waved seductively in the light wind and you paused to admire them. You bent down to sniff them, completely intrigued when you heard a slight movement. You stiffened. “Does this pretty girl like pretty flowers?” The voice was smooth and silky, the voice of the ultimate debonair.

               You stood up and turned around, expecting to confront someone but saw no one. You slowly rotated in a circle and yet there was still nobody. The air around you rippled slightly and something seemed to touch your arm.

               “Hey! Just because I’ve read Harry Potter doesn’t mean I necessarily believe in all that invisibility cloak hocus pocus. Show yourself now!” You tried to sound brave, but your fear got the better of you and your voice cracked. You imagined a low, throaty chuckle.

               Completely spooked now, you started to run down the road and back home. It shouldn’t be far now. You can already picture the warm embrace of your mother’s hug and the cozy glow of the candles she put out. You tried to keep yourself calm when you felt something grab at you, pull on your shirt.

               You let out another scream, this one shrill and filled with terror. “I never let pretty girls get away from me.”

               This time the voice was right by your ear. You shook and looked down at your waist and saw fingers, long delicate fingers, clamped on them. There really was a person this time. You could smell him too. He had a musky and warm leathery scent. When you tried to turn to look, the back of your head exploded with pain and you crumpled to the ground.