Chapter 3- Oops?

A Thousand Tales - A Collection of One Shots and Short Stories

 

The morning sun hit me in the eyes and the lasting effects of my hangover caused me to groan out loud. What in the world was I thinking? I looked around me and nearly screamed in fright. Jaejoong’s face was inches from mine. What the bloody hell?

                He shifted and turned to face the ceiling before opening his eyes and staring at me. It took a while to comprehend but when realization hit, he didn’t seem to react. I was shocked by his calm demeanor and waved my hands in his face.

                “Hellooo? How did I end up here? Why are we? Oh my goodness. What in the world have we done?” A tiny smirk tugged at his lips and I hit him across the chest. “What are you laughing about? This is not funny. We’ve basically committed a crime against my best friend, your fiancé. All you can do is lie there and laugh.”

                This at least seemed to bring about some sort of a response. He propped himself up on one arm and glanced at me. “Yes. But I’ll have you know that I have zero regrets. Last night was the best thing I have done to myself in a while.”

                My jaw dropped and I stared at him. “What? A man can’t admit that he had been blind as a bat the whole time?” I was still confused so he sat up fully and cupped my face in his two hands. “Tiffany, I like you. Hell, I might even love you. Why can’t you accept it?”

                Now I was angry. He made it seem so damn simple. “Why can’t I accept it? That’s an easy question to answer. Because if you did, why would you propose to Jessica? Because if you did why aren’t we together?”

                He was silent for a few minutes. “I never figured you loved me back.”

                I threw my hands up in the air. “So you’re afraid of rejection? We could have had all this time, all these moments and now they’re all gone because you were scared. I can’t. I’m going to go. I don’t know how I’ll face Jessica. Good bye.” I hurriedly threw on my dress and prayed nobody I knew would be on the streets. Jaejoong grabbed my arm.

                “Stop being so rash. You’re right. We’re fighting against lost time. But we can make up for it. I’ll find a way to tell Jessica. Just stay with me.”

                I laughed. “I may have had a lapse of judgment for one night. It doesn’t mean I’ll do it again. Break up with her first, then get back to me.”

                Jaejoong pleaded with his eyes. “Please, Tiffany. I need the time to think it through.”

                I wrenched my arm away. “I’m obviously not important enough so that you would want to leave her immediately. Take your time thinking. Just don’t expect me to be here waiting. I’m done with that.”

                My first instinct when I got home was to spill to Jessica and pray that she forgives me. But that would be friendship suicide, and I was in no mood to strap myself to a kamikaze and kill myself. Instead, I took a shower and vigorously tried to think about what he had said.

                He wasn’t remorseful at all. Instead, he had admitted to liking me. But why wouldn’t he break things off with Jessica if that were the case? I slammed the bar of soap down in frustration and tried to not cry. Men always made life complicated.

                I don’t know how long I sat, rocking myself on my bed. All thoughts of going to work were forgotten. It was the weekend and I needed a break. I couldn’t formulate coherent thoughts. My phone rang shrilly and I leapt to pick it up.

                “I’m coming over. I can’t think by myself.” It was Jaejoong and I felt my heart pace quicken. He was coming over? I prayed Jessica would stay away because if she discovered us together, we would be dead.

                The doorman was calling me and asking if I should send up the nice gentleman. I let him in and Jaejoong was soon in front of my door. His eyes were filled with a silent rapture and he forcefully grabbed my head and kissed me. I locked my arms around his neck before pulling him into the apartment.

                “Jae! Are you okay?”

                “No,” he mumbled. His lips were working a trail down my neck and I moaned.

                “Jaejoong! Focus! I won’t do anything with you until we settle this.” He sighed and sat down on the bed, kicking his legs in frustration. “Why did you decide to come over?”

                “I’ve been thinking for the past few hours and I decided to stop lying to myself. The entire time I was dating Jessica, I secretly hoped for you to tell me or give me an indication that you loved me. But I was too much of a coward and I decided to wait. Jessica constantly hinted at an engagement and I was stupid. I was desperate. I’m getting to my mid-twenties. I needed to settle down. So I made the obvious choice and proposed. Even then I admit to myself now that I secretly wanted you to stop me. But you never did.”

                I stared at him. “So what are you going to do now? Your parents have been planning this for the longest time. You can’t tell them now, two days before the actual wedding and say that you have cancelled it.”

                “You’re the same size as Jessica. Just wear her gown and marry me.”

                I laughed. “If only life were this ideal. Don’t be ridiculous. I would never do that. I hate being used goods.”

                Jaejoong stood and tackled me to the floor. “Never. I made a mistake and I’m sorry. Forget my parents. I’ll tell them it’s over and we’ll go to Jeju Island and elope. It doesn’t matter to me. I’m so glad you told me Tiffany.”

                His hands slipped under my shirt and he kissed me again. I closed my eyes and decided for the second time in a row to just let the moment take me. There was an audible gasp from the doorway when he pushed me down against him on the bed.

                He didn’t hear and I had to push him off to sit up. Jessica was standing there and she looked ready to murder somebody. I bit my lips and saw disbelief cross her face. Surprisingly, no guilt spread over me. Oops?