Chapter 3 - Surprises

A Thousand Tales - A Collection of One Shots and Short Stories

 

It wasn’t easy being with Heechul. That was a fact. Because of this necessity to keep their relationship a secret, they were rarely able to spend time together. Sooyoung sighed and looked onstage where he was currently doing a perfect rendition of their hit Gee.

                She wondered if he really liked her. Was she just someone to kill time with until his next conquest came, or were there actual feelings? He has been attentive, but not fawning. Sooyoung pouted to herself. He never even once called her his princess.

                She jammed herself in the head, silently scolding her own stupidity. What sort of wish was that? Every girl’s wish. She sighed and placed her head on the table. “Pick your head up, people will think we’re being disrespectful to Super Junior,” Taeyeon hissed.

                Sooyoung looked up to see Heechul imitating Jessica to perfection and blowing a kiss at her direction. She felt an insane smile spread across her face and Yoona rolled her eyes. “Aish, he’s acting like a lovesick puppy.” Sooyoung shrugged happily.

                After the concert, Sooyoung ran up to Heechul and swung their hands together. “You were really good up there, oppa. I’m proud of you.” She smiled up at him but the only gave her a puzzled look.

                “Are you sure you’re okay?” He asked, clearly worried.

                Sooyoung slid her hand out of his and raised an eyebrow. “What? What type of harebrained question is that? Of course I’m okay.” Sheesh, was he trying to be funny or insulting? She took a step back and looked at him with her trademark fierce glare.

                Heechul relaxed and hugged her. “Kidding, you just seemed a bit off right there. I was getting scared.” He bit her on the shoulder, causing his band mates to groan out loud.

                “Get a room hyung!”

                That night, Sooyoung and Heechul were texting each other. She sent a picture of her holding the stuffed pig he gave her. “Look, two piggies!”

                “Ahaha, so tomorrow’s my birthday. What are you going to do?”

                Sooyoung smacked herself on the forehead. His birthday. Damn, she had forgotten. She tapped her chin thoughtfully. What would he want? Maybe, he wants a huge party, Heechul always liked it when people fawned over him. “I have to go sleep. You’ll see tomorrow ^^”

                She turned off her phone and ran into the kitchen. Banging pots and pans around, she crouched down to peer into their cupboards. Good, they still had flour and sugar. She thumbed through Taeyeon’s cookbook until she found the perfect recipe for a stacked chocolate and banana cake.

                She sweated and cursed as the recipe’s measurements got in her way of her ambitions. She tried hard to follow directions, but deviated by adding more sugar, and more cream, less chocolate and other innovations. By the time she popped the cake into the oven, she had flour all over cheeks and was not amused. If he didn’t appreciate this, she will kill him, personally.

                She must have fell asleep because the next thing she smelled was slightly burning cake. She jolted out of her seat and took the steaming cake out of the oven. She twisted it around, examining all sides and saw a deep hole on one part. It was slightly singed and Sooyoung cringed. There was no time to fix it. She took marshmallows and stuffed it deep inside, carving out the burnt parts.

                She decided to make this the front of the cake and took great delight in spazzing with pink and blue frosting. “HAPPY BIRTHDAY HEECHULLIE ^^,” she wrote in her loopy handwriting. Then she took candy hearts and plugged them in randomly.

                Satisfied with her work, Sooyoung placed the cake in a box and collapsed on her bed. A few hours later, she dressed through bleary eyes and went downstairs to check on the cake. Half of it had collapsed and the cake looked like the leaning tower of Pisa. She let out a frustrated moan and squashed down the other side to make things even again. To cover up this blunder, she wiped off the mushed icing and wiped it across the entire thing, trying to make it appear squat and very very round.

                Hyoyeon walked in and looked at her. “Ahahaha, I like to see his face when he sees it.”

Sooyoung ignored her sister and continued to fix it. When at last it looked semi-decent,  Sooyoung packaged it carefully in a bright blue box and tied a ribbon around it.

                When she entered the SM building, she was surprised to see that everything was quiet. She popped her head into Super Junior’s practice rooms and saw that they were all there, except for Heechul. “If you’re looking for Heechul, he’s not here. He slept in.” It was Donghae who spoke up.

                Sooyoung nodded, completely miffed and asked, “When will he be-” But no sooner has she started talking did said person come rushing in.

                “Happy Birthday!” She smiled at him. He hugged her and immediately took the box from her.

                “What’s in there?” he peered curiously in the bag. The rest of the boy band crowded around them and they all looked on happily as their hyung took out the blue box and set it on the table. Sooyoung shifted nervously as Heechul unwrapped the package and the box fell open.

                Sooyoung looked down and her eyes widened in horror. Super Junior laughed. Her cake, which had been decently squatted down had now sunk and the marshmallow filled hole poked out, showing the slightly burned edges. Candy hearts peeked out shyly from the layers of cake and icing fat. Sooyoung wanted to cry. All her hard work, down the drain.

                There was silence from Heechul before he threw back his head and laughed. “I knew I made the right choice, dating you. No other girl would try so hard to make me cake, and then fail so badly. Oh, Soo, come over here. Did you burn the cake and try to hide it with marshmallows? Oh, pwahaha, the cake also deflated. It better taste good, because if you poison me, I will haunt you forever.” He bravely cut off a large slab and took a bite, before s smashed the entire cake in his face.

                She stood there, watching him as he the cake off his face, his face smiling as he did so. “I love you, you should bake for me more often.”

                Then suddenly his face puckered and he spat out what was a bright yellow candy. “You, you evil little!” with cake still decorating his beautiful face, he set about chasing Sooyoung. She laughed, knowing that he had found her little surprise. Sour lemon candy anyone? 

There you go~

Third part ^^ Ignore Yoona in the picture...

It's a bit lame, but in the interest of time, I had to crank out whatever lame plot I had in my head. I love you ShigaPetal and ShineeKey7