Chapter 3- We Got Married

A Thousand Tales - A Collection of One Shots and Short Stories

 

The producers of the show warned her that the two of them had one week to get their acts together and act professional or take the financial repercussions. Maliha was torn. She didn’t want to see him again, but knew that she would never afford the fines. Donghae never contacted her. Of course he wouldn’t. He could probably pay for the fines anyway. So she decided it was time to man up and face him herself.

                She took out her phone and scrolled to where his name glared accusingly at her. Pressing the call button, she held her breath, only to let it out in disappointment when it went to voicemail. All that building up of courage and it was wasted. She spent the next half hour, trying to force herself to call again. She settled down to study, making a deal with herself to call him once she was done. But halfway through her reverie, her phone rang shrilly.

                She grabbed it and without looking at the caller ID, pressed hello. “Yes?”

                “You called?” the words were cold, and perfunctory, a staccato that was punctuated with bitterness at the end of every syllable.

                Maliha felt her heart squeeze tightly. “Yes. I just wanted to know if you heard about their ultimatum. I think we should just go ahead and film that last scene.”

                He sighed. “What’s the problem? YG won’t pay for it? YG would rather have you fake your way through a relationship? I never expected you to stop so low.”

                “Please. Donghae, please. Don’t be like this. I can’t. I didn’t know, I, I never realized,” she stammered and threw away all her dignity as she pled with him softly.

                “I’ll do it. It doesn’t matter. I’m very good at lying anyway. Good bye. I’ll have my agent contact yours with a suitable date.” He clicked off without allowing her a reply.

                Maliha stared at her phone in shock. She inhaled sharply and tried to ignore the freezing sensation in her chest. So this was how it felt to have your heart broken. She clutched her phone tightly and tried to control the cascade of tears that escaped once more.

                She spent three days going to her classes, but never mentally there. She performed the tasks on autopilot and it wasn’t until the familiar We Got Married envelope appeared on her desk that she remembered. She had a date with Donghae. Just thinking about it, made her want to burst into tears.

                The same makeup artist walked in and examined her face. “Tsk, you’ve been crying too much. It’ll be a miracle to make you even look slightly decent.” Normally the insult would have her clawing to get revenge, but she remained silent. She the beautiful dress she was going to wear and wondered if Donghae felt anything anymore. He probably didn’t. And she couldn’t blame him.

               As she prepared for the walk to the studio, she grabbed a wrapped parcel and slipped it                   into her bag. Taking a deep breath, she pushed open the doors. It was like déjà vu

all over again. He was still standing in the same place, letting the sun fall against his face. But this time, there was no anticipation. He looked like he’d rather be anywhere else but there. And that hurt the most.

               “Donghae,” she whispered his name and allowed it to carry across the room but there was no reply. She shifted uncomfortably. “Dong-”

               “I heard you the first time.” He wheeled about sharply on his heel and settled his gaze on her. She has never felt this chill emanate from someone as strongly as it was from him. His hands were shoved in his pockets and when he walked the heels of his dress shoes made sharp clicks with the glass floor.

               “PD-nim, what exactly do we have to do?” he asked politely.

               “You two need to have one last good-bye kiss and wish one another good luck in the future. We want romantic and positive, and happiness got it? Whatever went on is now in the past. I don’t want to see it.”

               Maliha squirmed. They had to kiss? Donghae’s face betrayed neither uneasiness nor any emotion, come to think of it. He held out his hand and she took it. His hands were cold as if all the bitterness he was feeling has zapped the warmth from him.

               He led her to a nearby park bench and sat her down in front of the gushing fountains. “In our seven months together, I have found in you an amazing companion. Thank you. I wish you all the luck in the future, and hwaiting!” he managed to smile but it never reached his eyes. Maliha bit her lips to keep from crying.

               “You were amazing to me. Thank you for that. Good luck being an international superstar, and think of me sometimes.” Her voice cracked, and the PD nodded with approval. This was good emotion.

               Donghae reached his hands around the nape of her neck and pressed his lips against hers. His mouth was hard and unyielding and he only pressed it there, holding the position long enough to satisfy the director. But as he was about to lean away, Maliha reached her arms up and circled his neck, drawing him back in.

               His eyes opened in surprise but she spent her time trying to coax him open, and trying to give him a message that she hoped would not fail to register. He tried to pull back once more but she persisted and leaned in even deeper. When she felt her eyes burn from lack of air, she let go of him, and the PD clapped.

               “Good job you two. You can go now. We’re done. It’s been an excellent seven months and I hope you the best of luck in your relationships.” Everyone in the crew scurried to leave, leaving the two of them still there.

               “Why did you do that?” Donghae’s voice was hoarse and for the first time, he looked shocked. It was the first time that there were no antagonistic feelings in his voice.

               “I guess I wanted to apologize. I hate liars, and to me this show was a big fraud. I never realized that I could feel something so real. I just hate that we have to lie,” she whispered. In retrospect, her actions had been irresponsible and now she was thoroughly embarrassed.

               “I cannot lie. My feelings for you are real. And they’re still real.” She looked up at him when he uttered the last part and he tipped his head. A slow smile began to spread and he pulled her up, crashing her against him. “I love you, Maliha.”

               One year later, the PD chuckled to himself as he sat in the front row, watching the beautiful procession take place before him. The Haeliha couple had been a great hit on We Got Married and now, fans got to see their favorite couple get married for real.

               The organs played and the light shone on the glittering floors. The glass windows showcased a beautiful day outside, and promised dancing flowers and swaying trees. Several guests sniffled and there was a slight gasp of awe as the bride entered.

               She was dressed in a splendid gown, the dress sweeping the aisles and she clutched her father’s arm. He stood next to her, tall and proud to be giving his daughter away. The groom was smiling, and stood, waiting patiently for the girl he has waited for. When she reached him, he reached for her hand and they faced one another.

               “Mr. and Mrs. Lee Donghae, I now pronounce you man and wife. Donghae, you may now kiss the bride.”

 

MALIHA, YOUR THING IS FINALLY FINISHED ♥

I know you had an eh day today, and I hope this will cheer you up. I love you dongsaengie, please smile :D

You requesed this two months ago, but I finally finished and I hope you would find that it was worth it.

I love you.