It's A Big Brother Thing

A Thousand Tales - A Collection of One Shots and Short Stories

 

I.             “Ge!” JoJo jumped up and down, trying to grab the toy way from the boy. “Gimme!” She drew down her lips and started to blink back tears as he held it high over his head.

               The seven year old sighed. He hated when she cried. He stared at his sobbing five year old sister and held out the stuffed panda he had won in the arcade. Her hands were still rubbing her eyes so he nudged her. “Here. Take it before I change my mind.”

               She placed her palms down and stared into the panda’s chocolate brown eyes. She giggled and nuzzled her face against the soft fur. “Hehe, I’m going to name it Tao Tao after you because you look like a panda too.”

               JoJo hugged her big brother’s arm and allowed him to drag her home. “Gege is the best.” Her pudgy hands slipped into his and Tao rolled his eyes but couldn’t hide is smile. Only her.

II.            “Mommy! Meet my best friend, Sehun. He likes to make mud cakes too! Tao! Tao! Want to make mud cakes with us?”

               He looked up from where he was playing with Suho and shook his head. “Nah.”

               Suho stood up, already the class president type at age eight. “We should play with them. What if they accidently ate the things?”

               Tao’s mouth twisted, not wanting to look bad in front of his friend but not wanting to be with his sister.

               “Hyung wants to play with JoJo and Thehun? We make good mud caketh.” The little boy grinned, the gap between his teeth not helping with his lisp.

               Tao gave in. “Okay, okay.”

               But now his little sister had slunk across the room and was sulking. Suho walked over and asked, “What’s wrong?”

               She pointed at Tao. “He only wants to play with my best friend. He doesn’t want to play with me.”

               Suho patted her head. “I’ll play with you.”

               JoJo stuck her tongue out at her big brother and clung onto the responsible boy. “Suho-ge is such a good brother.” Suho shrugged apologetically and Tao shook his head. She could be so stupid sometimes.

III.          “Gege! Look at this plane I made! Ge? Why is your room so dark? I can’t- oomph!” There was a thud and cracks as popsicles toppled onto the ground.

               The lights switched on and JoJo held up her thumb. “I has a cut. I’m bleeding,” she whimpered. But the two boys were not concerned with her injury. They were furious.

               “What part of ‘don’t come into my room’ do you not understand? You ruined something that took us hours!”

               She placed her thumb in . “But, I made a plane for you and Kyungsoo. Do you wanna see?”

               “No,” Tao growled, answering for his still shocked friend. “Get out! I hate you!”

               Later, when Kyungsoo was leaving, he handed her a lollipop. “It’s okay. We glued it back together and now it should be pretty sturdy. Use a band-aid okay?” He waved goodbye.

               “Huang Zi Tao!” their mother called for him. He stomped down the stairs knowing that he was going to be in trouble. “What do you say to your sister?”

               “She broke my house first! I hate her,” he glowered.

               JoJo held out the lollipop she had just received. “You want? I’m sorry, Panda ge.”

               Tao twitched as he stared at the large blinking eyes before him. “I’m sorry too. But next time knock okay? You never know. We could be in the middle of an evil experiment…”

IV.           “Aish! Tao!” the ten year old stomped her foot. “Stop playing basketball and watch me dance! You promised!”

               Tao glanced at his friend and Xiumin shrugged. “I’ll get my sister to distract her.”

               Xiumin walked over and pointed at a quiet girl reading on the bench. “Hey, Tao’s busy at the moment. Why don’t you dance with my little sister? LiLi likes to dance too.”

               JoJo glanced at her before glaring at her brother. “Fine, but I’m not talking to you anymore,” she threatened her brother who had already resumed playing.

               LiLi put down her book and chuckled. “My brother is the same. He’s always abandoning me. I’m LiLi.”

               “I’m JoJo. Do you really like to dance?”

               “Oh yes! In fact my mom signed me up for the academy in downtown Seoul. We’re going to do contemporary and ballet.”

               JoJo’s eyes lit up. “No way! I’m auditioning for it tomorrow!” The two girls bonded right away.

               “So you had fun right?” Tao asked her later as they were walking back home.

               JoJo stuck out her tongue. “No thanks to you, elephant head.”

               He sighed. “I’m sorry okay? At least now you’ve made a new friend.”

               “Buy me mint chocolate chip ice cream.”

V.            “Hey.” JoJo looked up from her phone and smiled tentatively.

               A handsome doe-eyed boy leaned against the fence. His fingers threaded through the metal gaps and he grinned back nervously.

               “I was playing soccer over there and wondered if you wanted to join? If not, we’re finishing up so we can maybe go grab something to eat later?”

               “I’d love to. I’m just not sure if-”

               “Luhan!” a voice called out and JoJo groaned inwardly. Why did he have to show up now? “What are you doing with my sister?” Tao jogged up to them with his wushu stick tucked under his arm. Luhan looked embarrassed.

               “Oh hey. I just wanted to know if your sister wanted to come play with us. I didn’t know if you would come so I figured I might as well ask.”

               “She’s only thirteen. She still wears glasses and needs a retainer. Just look at how awkward she is. No flirting with my baby sister.”

               JoJo nearly died when Luhan’s ears turned bright red. “Ya, Huang Zi Tao!” She knew he hated being called his full name. “Go home and stop talking.”

               He yanked her away and Luhan waved weakly. “Yeesh, such bad taste.”

               She stopped and blinked back tears. “Am I that ugly?”

               He stammered and tried to backtrack. “N-no. I meant you have bad taste. Seriously, Luhan? You can do better.”

               She giggled and smacked his arm. “But you said all that back there.”

               “Just trying to make sure you don’t end up with him. I can’t exactly insult him to his face can I?”

               JoJo rolled her eyes. “Love you too, Tao.”

VI.          “Tell me again why we’re going to watch the varsity team play basketball.”

               “Aish, it’s to motivate you to do better.”

               He scoffed. “More like you just want to admire a certain Park Chanyeol.”

               JoJo blushed. “And so what if I do? You better not interfere. I finally got my braces off. Maybe now he’ll find me attractive.”

               “Fifteen year olds these days.”

               “Hey, you kissed a girl when you were twelve, you player.” He had the decency to look slightly ashamed.

               Tao watched his sister cheer for Chanyeol. Every time he made a shot, she would clap and hoot along with the crowd. She seemed to be very into the game. Tao then studied Chanyeol. He had a happy face and a bright smile.

               When the game ended and everyone gathered to congratulate him on a game well played, a girl pushed herself to the front and kissed him on the lips. JoJo faltered and Tao felt bad for her.

               He patted her shoulder. “It’s okay. He was too tall anyway. Bending down to talk to you might break his back.” Sensing that his humor failed, he quickly amended his words. “Besides, his eye twitch might give you a seizure.”

               JoJo hiccupped and placed her head on his shoulder. “You’re so silly.”

VII.         “Don’t cry, Jo. He didn’t deserve you anyway.” He patted her back. She clung onto him and continued to w

T his shirt.

               “LiLi knew. And in the end, she still agreed to be his dance partner. I don’t want to dance anymore. I’m obviously not good enough.”

               Tao glanced at the dancer his sister was crying over. His nose wrinkled. What did she see in his skinny figure and slightly dazed look? “You don’t like him do you?” He was almost scared of her answer.

               She punched his chest. “No, stupid. He’s only like one of the best contemporary dancers in our level. And now I’m stuck with that new kid, Kai. He can’t even speak Chinese properly.”

               Feeling reassured, he breathed a sigh of relief. “Well, just dance with him and don’t get too attached. You’re still young.”

               “I’m  sixteen, than k you very much.”

               “Yeah and I’m a legal adult. No more crying over this Yixing guy okay? Or else I’ll have to really keep you away from the boys.”

VIII.        “Yeboseyo?”

               “Oppa? Is Tao with you right now?”

               “Tao! Your sister is calling you!” Chen shouted.

               There was a shuffle and her brother’s exasperated voice came on the line. “What is it? I thought I told you where dinner was?”

               “Nooo, I have cramps and I need pads and ice cream. Get me some? I’m bleeding and it’s heavy.”

               He made a strangled noise. “I did not want to hear that and I’m sure neither did Chen. Go get it yourself!”

               “But geee, I’m in so much pain and there’s so much blood. Fine. I guess I’ll just forward all your to-”

               “Fine! Stop! Okay, okay. I’ll get it. Yeesh, you’re so annoying. And you just announced to the world your private problems you know.”

               “Chen is not the world. And don’t put me on speaker!”

               “You’re just really loud.” Tao deadpanned.

               “Make sure it’s Always Maxi Pads okay?”

               “You’re such a brat.”

               “Love you too!”

               Chen whispered into the phone. “Does he really watch ?”

               JoJo cracked a grin. “That’s for me to know and you to find out!”

IX.          “Nobody cheats on my kid sister and gets away with it,” Tao growled. He left his sister sniffling on the bed and slipped onto his computer. He vaguely remembered the boy but most teenagers looked the same anyway.

               He looked up Kai on JoJo’s friend list and found a Kim Jongin. He scowled and recognized the arrogant face gazing back at him. He grabbed his bag and headed towards the dance center.

               Tao waited until Kai came out. Another girl was already attached to his arm. “Kai.”

He seemed to pale when he saw Tao. “We need to talk. Man on man.”

               The two of them walked to a slightly secluded corner and Tao advanced, tightening his fists. “What made you think to cheat on my sister? I knew I should have told you to stay away from you.”

               “I-I didn’t. It was all a misunderstanding.”

               “A what? A misunderstanding?” He punched the wall. “You don’t kiss another girl and then go oops I goofed. You better stay away from Jo. I mean it. If I catch you anywhere near her, you’re dead.” He gave one last threatening stare and walked away.

X.           The doors swung open and the porch flooded with light. The couple broke apart and faced the now open door.

               A menacing six foot one figure stood in front of them, fists raised in a combative stance. When Tao realized it was his sister, he blinked. Then he saw the boy next to her, their hands entwined and faces flushed.

               “You were supposed to be home an hour ago.”

               “Oh, I’m sorry Mr. Huang.” The boy spoke, saluting to attention. Tao raised an eyebrow. Mr. Huang?

               “Aish, just call him Tao. Sorry, ge. We were late mainly because Baekhyun had to help drive his brother home. And I’m seventeen. You can stop worrying.”

               Tao leaned forward and sniffed the air. “You weren’t drinking. Good. What happened to calling?”

               “Forgot. I’ll be in soon. Bye Tao.” She waggled her fingers at him, trying to make him take the hint.

               “If you want to kiss your boyfriend, there are better places to do so if you don’t want to get caught. But you’re already here and so am I. Just do it. This way I can be sure he keeps his hands where they’re supposed to be.”

               Baekhyun grinned and leaned in. “We might as well give him a show.”

               He winced as Tao cuffed his head. “Watch it.”

XI.          “You know, JoJo, this is the first of your many suitors that I actually approve of.”

               JoJo giggled. “Yeah, you tell me this at my wedding.”

               “Hey, at least I let it get this far. Don’t get too comfortable. After dad makes his speech, it’s my turn.” He grinned evilly at her.

               “Ladies and gentlemen, I want to thank you all for coming. Before I do the customary toast and congratulations, let me take the time to tell you what you have gotten yourself into.

               I’ve known JoJo all her twenty-three years of life. She’s loud, exasperating and clingy as anything. She’s also sweet and loving, and I’ll only say this once, my favorite person in the world. I’ve been with her through her pee on the bed times, her awkward teen years and helped her with all her heartbreaks. I’ve seen her mood swings and her not so affective aegyo and I’ve also seen her help people in need.

               I want to tell you, Kris, just how lucky you are to have passed what she calls the “Huang Zi Tao: From Hell” test. And I’ll tell you, I am one hard test. She can kill me for this later. But for now, congratulations to the new Mr. and Mrs. Wu!”

               Later on the dance floor, JoJo was in Tao’s arms, tearing slightly as he twirled her around. “Hey, Zi Tao, you are the best gege in the world.”

               Tao shrugged, trying to hide his own sentimental tears. “It’s a big brother thing, sis.” 

 

Just because I have ridiculous Tao big brother feels