The Three of Us- Chapter 1. The Girls

A Thousand Tales - A Collection of One Shots and Short Stories

 

The three of them stood in a circle and crowded around the laptop. They were giggling and busy surmising their misfortune.

                “There is no way I will ever get a guy like that,” one of them said and pointed at the screen. The others laughed. Onscreen, there was a guy dressed as Lady GaGa and dancing. The other two shook their heads and wondered just what was wrong with their friend.

                “Lia, I like him better when he’s a guy,” the really short one said. Lia hushed her and continued to watch the epitome of human perfection strut his way down the stage with a bright yellow wig and tight black dress.

                It was a typical day in the summer and this was a classic way to pass the time before they each had to go to their respective prep schools. Lia stretched out her long legs and hovered over the mouse. “So who else do you want to see next?”

                “Hae!” JJ shouted. At the same time. “Hyuk” came out of Maliha’s mouth. The two of them stared and laughed.

                “Ha, bias switches are funny,” Lia commented as she closed the computer. “Guys, what would you do if Super Show 4 came here to New York?”

                The other two shrugged. They never allowed the thought to enter their heads. But Jill opened and said, “I have a better idea guys.” They stared at her. “It’s the summer. Maliha and I are going to be seniors and Lia you’re going to college. We should plan an all-out trip. It’ll be fun. The three of us, in Korea, with no language skills and a lot of laughs.” She waited for a response but only received incredulous looks. “Guys, we should make it in time for the Super Show in Seoul.”

                This set things into motion. They researched airplane flights and looked for the best possible traveling plan. It wasn’t difficult and soon they were all set. “Do you have everything?” JJ was frantic as she tried to settle everything in place. The others nodded their confirmation and they got on the plane.

                “I call the window seat!” Maliha slid across the row of seats and smiled up at the older two. JJ shrugged and got in next to her.

                “Fantastic,” Lia grumbled. “I get to be the one who has people tripping over my feet every time they want to go to the bathroom. Yay for being that obnoxious one!”

                The three of them sat on the plane and fought back every urge to stand up and jump with giddiness. After months of waiting for Super Show in America, they had decided it was time to go to the concert than have the concert come to them. Because, after all, as Lia puts it, “In Soviet Russia, concert watches you.”

                When they landed, they relied on Lia’s Korean skills and hand gestures to get them to their booked hotel. “It’s so much easier if we had gone to Taiwan. At least I know the language,” JJ muttered, receiving dark glares from Lia who was quite proud of her communication success.

                They entered the hotel and JJ and Maliha immediately took the opportunity to jump on the comfortable bed. “It’s so fluffy,” they squealed as they fell against each other. The oldest one only watched and continued to put away their luggage.

                The concert did not start until seven the next night. The entire morning, the three of them were on hyper alert with a fresh dose of pure giddiness. Two hours before the concert, they took out their light sticks and fans. The three of them put on shades of sapphire blue before walking out on the busy streets of Seoul.

                They took a cab to the stadium and walked in. The vast stadium was already almost filled and people were continuously streaming in. They took their place in the general admissions area and stood near the stage. Lia pulled on her dongsaengs and pushed them to the front.

                “JJ should be in the very front because she’s too short to see anything,” she teased. Maliha jumped up and down as she tried to imagine seeing Donghae up close in the flesh for the very first time. She couldn’t.

                The lights dimmed and the familiar out of world music came on. There was the haunting cry and the crowd erupted into cheers as the screen lit up with a brilliant flash and a comet streaked through the blackness. Super Show 4 had officially begun.

                They stood, cheering and chanting and singing along, waving their light sticks in the beautiful sea of sapphire blue. They knew every song and every performance. The hours passed quickly until it was almost the end.

                Throughout the entire concert, Lia had been silently grieving because Heechul had taken leave due to his military duties. She was excited for Super Show, she was an ELF, but things just weren’t the same. So she had smiled through the concert but in her heart she knew that she was missing Heechul.

                When the last performance had ended, the fans waited in anticipation for all the boys to come out. And they did. As they came closer, there were murmurs of confusion. Why was there an extra person in the midst? The crowd had counted twelve people. There were only eleven performing that night.

                As the figures drew nearer, the mysterious one in the middle took off his hood and smiled to shocked applause and automatic sobs of disbelief. Lia grabbed onto Maliha’s arm and felt tears course down her cheeks. Now her experience was complete.

                The boys drew nearer towards them and Maliha grabbed onto the stage for support when Donghae leaned towards her and winked playfully, waving happily like the joyful Nemo he was. He turned the corner and next up was the Dancing Machine. JJ tried to control her hands as they spazzed by her side but she couldn’t stop when he winked in their general direction. Up next was the mysterious Heechul. As promised, Lia continued to cry when Heechul walked up in front of them and did his signature peace sign, smirking as the crowd went wild.

                After they all had paraded past, Lia leaned in and whispered, “I’m content.”