Chapter 2 - The Boys

A Thousand Tales - A Collection of One Shots and Short Stories

 

It was another Super Show, but this one had a deeper meaning, a more special connection. Of course they treated all the Super Shows like precious time they spent with their beloved ELFs, but this one was different, for a very, very good reason.

                Donghae ran around the waiting room and all the other members were buzzing around, greatly excited for the show to start. But before it did, they went backstage to receive the special guest. Kim Heechul walked out from the van with oversized shades on his face. He happily welcomed the hugs and laughed when the members went slightly crazy at the sight of their hyung. Yes, he still lived with them, but with their separate schedules, it was difficult.

                Today Super Junior has decided that for their ELFs, they would finally bring back Kim Heechul if only for just one act. But before the concert, they had their hyung all to themselves. After all the members had greeted him, they dispersed to practice, leaving Eunhae with him. Donghae loved loved loved Heechul, and Hyukjae? Well, it was Donghae and he loved Heechul too.

                Donghae jumped on top of him and clung on. Heechul oomphed under his weight but managed to carry him into their dressing room. Inside the three of them began to chat. When the subject hit around dating, Donghae grew quiet. Heechul noticed and cocked his head.

                “What happened to you?” he asked.

                Hyuk snickered. “He thinks he’s going to be forever alone. So we made a bet. Today we’re going to go out there and meet the girls of our dreams. Want to join us hyung?”

                Heechul sat there, staring at his dongsaengs for a few seconds. His face puckered and for a second they thought he was going to decline. “Eh, why not? It’ll be hard though. I’m very picky when it comes to my women.” Donghae laughed at his hyung and the three of them walked backstage.

                The lights dimmed and Heechul whispered, “Good luck.” With a tearful smile, he watched as his brothers went out to do what he loved most.

                The two went out and began dancing to Bonamana, all the while scanning the audiences for anything. They only saw a sea of sapphire blue and heard gasps of happiness. It wasn’t until the introduction time that the stadium was lit. There, the boys were able to get a nice view of all the people in it. There was a lot of pretty girls, too many to choose from. But a little trio in the front caught their attention. They weren’t screaming, rather one had silent tears and the other two were holding their hands down as if trying to control themselves.

                Donghae then screamed into the camera, “What’s up ELFishes? I love you!” As if on cue, one of the three started to move her hands. They flapped around in front of her, and the short one grabbed them still. Donghae grinned to himself. She was so adorable. He nudged Hyuk and nodded at her.

                “I like that one.”

                Hyuk raised an eyebrow. “The tall one, the medium one or the short one? Because I think the short one would be fun to make fun of.”

                Donghae shook his head. “Ani, I like the one whose hands are moving all over the place.”

                The dancer nodded. “Figured. You would go for the cute one. I think we’re done with our part of the game.”

                For the rest of the concert, they kept their eyes on the three girls. When the lights went off for the final scene, they went backstage and immediately ran to their hyung.

                “Heechul-hyung!” Donghae shouted. “We found these three people, and I think one of them is perfect for you! She was tearing up through the concert, and we think it’s because she wants you to be there! It’s perfect. When you come out, we’ll show you!”

                The older man laughed and got up from his seat. He carefully placed his hood and tried to calm his beating heart. The moment he was waiting for has arrived, it was time for ELFs to know that Kim Heechul was back. Briefly, yes, but back.

                The tiny spotlights began to dance and the boys filed out one by one. “There,” Hyuk Jae pointed at the cluster of sapphire blue lights in the front. “When you get closer, you’ll be able to see them.” With that, they began to run to the front of the stage.

                Heechul walked slowly, enjoying the murmurs of surprise as their ELFs counted the members and came up with the number ten. There was a gasp of shock as their thoughts flickered to the possibility that Heechul could be there.

                When the cue came, he reached a hand up and flipped back his hood, revealing his face to everyone. The boys started jumping and dancing, singing Wonder Boys. Heechul glanced at the trio Hyuk had pointed out earlier and saw one crying her heart out, with the other two comforting her. He willed her to look up and when their eyes met, Heechul winked at her.

                Mission accomplished.

                At the end of the concert, the three of them ran off stage. “What do you think?” Donghae asked eagerly and Heechul grinned.

                “You guys have good eyes. Of all the people, you chose a Petal. Good job.”

                They quickly changed out of their concert uniform and grabbed a suit jacket with shades, trying to rush out before the crowd had left. When they ran back onto the stage, past their bewildered band mates, they were pleasantly pleased to see the three girls still there.

                One was crying and crying, and the other two crowded around her, holding on and soothing her. They tiptoed closer and heard her say, “Heechul is back. That’s all I need. Heechul is back.”