Chapter 5 - Perfect

A Thousand Tales - A Collection of One Shots and Short Stories

 

It was worth it. It was so worth it. The look on his face, she giggled as she glanced back at her dumbstruck husband. There was no other way to describe it. His eyes bugged out and his jaws were permanently detached from his face. She hugged him and whispered, “Thought I forgot didn’t you?”

                The crowd surged forward as friends, family, acquaintances and ELFs came to meet their beloved Donghae. He took in all of their congratulations and nodded graciously. “Umma! Donghwa!” he looked genuinely shocked when his brother and mother showed up. They smiled. The trip was all a pretense for the party. When at last they reached the end of the crowd, she opened yet another set of double doors.

                She pushed him in and he entered an aquatic world he has never encountered before. His mouth dropped open as he saw the rippling waves and the sapphire, navy, indigo blue. So many shades of blue. Wave like motions wriggled in front of him and he saw large tanks filled with exotic fish. The Great Hall has been transformed into an aquarium, just for him. The lights that flowed over the floors were a pure white, casting the glass floor in blue light. That was when he looked down and realized he was standing on top of a pond of clownfish. The roar of water hitting rocks filled his ears and he looked around to see giant waterfalls splashing into a rippling sparkling fountain.

                Maliha smiled up at him, enjoying his wonder, and giggling at his shocked expression. She took him by the arm and led him out the door into the East Wing where there was a large stage erected. This theme was purely sapphire blue, with balloons all over. ELFs sat there waiting, and when they saw Donghae walk in, they stood in unison, greeting the birthday boy with thundering applause.

                She led him to the front row, and a large tribute began playing. Pictures of him when he was small showed up, and he ducked his head in embarrassment. Pre-debut and then as Super Junior pictures showed up as well. At the end was a long video made from clips from people all over the world. ELFs everywhere, as well as busy idols and stylists all sent in clips, wishing Donghae a happy birthday.

                When the video ended, he walked up the stage and openly cried. He laughed bashfully, clearly trying to control his tears, but couldn’t. He just stood there, wiping at his tears and coughing shyly. When at last, his emotions were semi-contained, he looked out at the crowd. “To ELFs, I love you. Thank you for coming and making this the best birthday I have ever had. Please go out to the other rooms and enjoy yourselves.” When the room was empty, he walked back down and held Maliha.

                “Thank you, so much for this. I don’t know, how to apologize, I gave you such a hard time these two days,” he looked at her earnestly.

                She shushed him. “We still have two more rooms to go. But before that, we’re going to eat and you can thank everyone formally.”

                After everyone had consumed the delicious courses Maliha’s mother had planned, Donghae stood up and tapped a spoon to his glass. “Today, I want to thank you all for coming. As everyone knows, I hate birthdays because nobody really remembers, we’re all so busy. This year, not only did SM allow me to take a day off, but the members were able to truly relax and celebrate with me as well. To make things better, I have my wife, Maliha, who completely loves me and threw this fabulous party for me. Saranghae~”

                The room clapped and cheered as the music started once more and entertainers came on to perform. “You said there were two more rooms?” Maliha nodded and began walking to the west side this time. She threw open the doors into an arena of outer space. The walls were covered in black, and eerie techno music came through. The small studded lights glowed like the constellations in the sky. This was where people gathered to just talk amongst themselves. A movie was being played, and Donghae nodded at the ones he knew. They continued walking until they were accosted by Maliha’s two friends.

                “Before you go into that room, we want to tell you guys, we love you,” they smiled enigmatically and unlocked the doors. Clutching Donghae’s hands, Maliha advanced forward into the mysterious room she was never allowed to see.

                It was a small room, but it led to a balcony, where there was a view of the bright lights from the city below them. In the room was a large glowing cake in the shape of a heart. There was a letter besides it and Maliha read it aloud.

                We love you always. We ship Haeliha forever, and this is our gift to you. You don’t get enough time together. Step outside on the balcony, and just talk to each other. But watch the video first. After you’re done, Maliha, I hope you will realize that forever does exist.

                                                                                    Love Always~

                                                                                    JilLia ♥

                The lights automatically dimmed and a flickering screen came on. There were snapshots of all the moments the two had shared. From when they first met, with Donghae shyly asking her if he could hold her hand, to the times when they were acting silly. There were moments of handholding and kissing, and just happy laughter. Then there were inscriptions of the times when they had fought, when she wanted to get away from him. Photos from their wedding cropped up, and some candid shots they never knew existed came on as well.

                When you have all these memories, and when you love this deeply, you know forever is real. Happy Birthday, Lee Donghae! Happy First Anniversary Haeliha~

                When the lights flickered back on, they were silent, still overwhelmed by the images they saw. Donghae took her gently by the hand and led her out to the balcony. The trees rustled gently beneath them and cars zipped by. The distant chatter of the party floated up to them.

                She reached into her bag and produced the drawing she had made. She had rolled it up, tucked it out of sight. Now, she presented it to him. He touched at the outline in wonder, and smiled ruefully. “Is this really what you see when you look at me? Do I really look like that? You portray me like an angel.”

                She nodded. “That’s because you are one.” Maliha then put a hand on Donghae’s arm and looked away, out into the scenery. This was the hard part, the part that had kept her up at night, wondering how to proceed. “Donghae, there’s something else I have to tell you. I’m pregnant,” she whispered the last phrase and he didn’t hear.

                “You’re what? Speak up,” he commanded.

                She blushed. “You’re going to be a daddy. We’re going to have a baby.”

                There was a spasm of silence and then she felt her world tip over. He lifted her up and spun her around and around, laughing boisterously and smiling at her. His eyes were lit up with a pure joy that made her want to smile too, in spite of how self -conscious she felt.

                He set her down and asked, “When? When?”

                Maliha calculated in her head. “I don’t know. Another six months?” He screamed again and crushed her to him. Almost immediately, he let her go and came back with a looser, gentler embrace.

                “This is the best present you can give me. I love you,” he murmured against her cheek. He drew back and leaned down, softly placing his lips against hers. She breathed in the comfortable, familiar scent that was Donghae and felt the happiness radiating from him. There was a tiny squeal then a loud boom. They drew away to stare at the sky.

                Against the deep dark cloak of the night were colorful fireworks, going off one of the other. They burst into shapes and left their dusty imprints on the sky. A series of explosions pounded and the words, Happy Birthday, Donghae showed up, lit in a fiery green. Then in a softer pink, Happy Haeliha Day.

                Donghae wrapped his arm around her waist and held her close by his side as the show continued, adding in pinwheels and rockets. The sky exploded with light and color, a perfect ending for a perfect birthday. 

 

HAPPY BIRTHDAY LEE DONGHAE ♥ Monkey IconsMonkey Winks YoyoMonkey Emoticon