Chapter 2 - Redemption

A Thousand Tales - A Collection of One Shots and Short Stories

 

The day of my birthday, I wanted to stay in bed. It was a Saturday, and no school, but it didn’t matter anyway. I didn’t feel like doing anything. There was a gentle knock on my door and I ignored it.

                The doors opened slightly and Kahee toddle in with mom right behind her. “Oppa, happy birthday!” Kahee threw herself at the bed and tried to hug my legs. Mom set down the large breakfast tray on the dresser and sat on the bed.

                “How’s my big boy doing? You’re five now! Aren’t you excited?” she tickled me and I giggled, laughing when Kahee started to tickle the bottom of my feet. I squirmed around and she lifted me in her arms, swinging me for half a circle before plopping me back down. “Phew! It’s so much harder to do that now. I still remember when you were just a little baby, and I could hold you easily with one arm.”

                I took a banana from the breakfast tray and peeled it. Offering a bit to my little sister, I snuggled in and asked, “Umma, tell me the story again!”

                She laughed and pushed the hair off her face and started speaking. “Well, you were just born and your daddy was freaking out. When you were born, you had a slight breathing problem, so you started to turn slightly blue. When they told me, I fainted and your daddy had to make sure they took care of you. He held you and it turned out that you had choked slightly and had a bubble in your throat. Because you were crying, they weren’t able to properly burst it. To this day, your daddy insists that he is your hero.”

                “There’s another story where we left you with Yunnie. He’s a few months older than you but you were so much naughtier. You were only one year old but you wanted to play with his teddy bear. When he refused to give it to you, you knew you had to complain straight to Uncle Donghae. You got Yun Duo in such big trouble, but he must have forgotten. But Hyuk could never get over the fact of how smart his baby son was.”

                I smiled, loving to hear all these stories. It proved that he did love me, that he was here. Then a thought occurred to me. “Mommy, was daddy there when I was born?”

                She nodded. “That was the one time he was here for your birthday,” she said it bitterly. “Baby, don’t be too upset. Your daddy just needs to get his priorities straight. He needs to learn to realize who he really loves and what’s important in his life. But it’s your special day. Finish your breakfast because later we’re going to have a party!”

                The party was to be held at Yun Duo’s house and I was excited. I could not stop bouncing the entire time. When we got there, my head cocked to the side. Why was the house empty? Why weren’t there people running out to say hi and to say congratulations?

                I looked up at my mother and she was frowning in confusion as well. “Well, this is interesting. I even called and she said to come right over.” I shrugged and tried to not hide the welling disappointment.

                Kahee tugged on my jeans but I ignored her. Frustrated, she tugged again. “Aiya, oppa!” she screamed, and when I turned around, I felt hands slide over my eyes. There was a sniffle and then ecstatic laughter. I squirmed, trying to see.

                “Junnie, guess who?” the voice near my ears almost made me explode with happiness. I must be dreaming.

*****

                I knew I had to do something to make it up for them. The entire plane ride back, I was silent and Donghae poked me. “Hey, what’s the matter with you? I heard your little fight the other day. Did anything happen?”

                I sighed. “Yeah. She’s tired of me away all the time and she basically gave me an ultimatum. She wants me there for Junnie’s birthday. Hell, she even brought you in, saying that you’re a way better husband than I am.”

                He whistled through his teeth. “That’s harsh. But I think she’s right.”

                I stared at him in surprise. “What?”

                “She’s right. You are away all the time and it’s not your fault. SM just gives you more MC jobs and you have those permanent spots. On top of our concerts, all that is really time consuming. I’m able to go back more often. But I think just once, for your son’s birthday, you should go. Forget about our debut day. Honestly. We would hold fort for you.”

                I shook my head. “I can’t. I can’t just abandon my career. That would be irresponsible. I really can’t. It’s like walking out on a job. And I can’t disappoint the fans.”

                He held out on hand. “Would you rather disappoint fans who will get over it the next time we hold a concert,” and he held out his other hand, “or your son and your wife who may very much want to leave you because of this neglect?”

                I hung my head. He was right. Of course he was. I thought of when I missed our anniversary and how she had sounded teary on the phone. She was encouraging and told me to stop worrying and get on with the concert, but I remembered Junnie asking me, “Daddy, why is mommy sad? Did I do something wrong?” And pretending to brush it off, but inside I knew it was wrong.

                “What am I supposed to do?”

                Donghae smirked. “What do you think?”

                So I made arrangements with SM. I told them they could take away from my salary; they could threaten to prevent me from participating in concerts, it didn’t matter. I was going back home November 6th. At first they had given me weird looks. Then they shrugged.

                “It’s your fans you’re disappointing,” the manager had told me. But I refused to feel guilty. I had to do the right thing for once. And so here I am.

                I asked Maliha to hold a party but to let me make the arrangements. She had agreed to help me with the surprise. When the time came, I hid outside and watched as the three of them got out of the car. They had confused faces and I wanted to laugh.

                As I was sneaking up on them, Kahee turned around. I put a finger to my lips but my three year-old turned around and started tugging on her brother’s pants. I ran faster and skidded a bit, before wrapping my hands around Junnie’s eyes. “Junnie guess who?”

                He let out a happy yell and I let go of him. He twisted his little body around and slammed into me. “Appa! You made it! You made it, you made it, you made it!” He turned to his mother. “See? I knew daddy would come!”

                She laughed and wiped away at her tears. “Of course you’re right. Of course.”

                I hugged my son to me and carried him in. The lights and Yunnie came streaking out of the living room. “Surprise! Were you surprised Junnie?” My son laughed and I let him go.

                I felt a hand tap me on the shoulder and I saw my wife smile at me. “You sneaky bastard. Thank you for coming.”

                I pulled her into me and smiled against her lips. “No, thank you for hitting me over the head and letting me know how to be the best I can.”

*****

                “Happy birthday to you! Happy birthday to you, dear Junri, happy birthday to you!” the entire table burst into applause and I smiled. My dad placed a large slice of cake in front of me.

                “Happy five years my baby monkey.” I grinned up at him.

                “Appa, thank you for coming.” I grabbed his hand and he picked me up and flew me into the living room where presents were waiting.

                “Appa, saranghae!” I screamed as he whipped me around in the air. 

 

WOOO!
I've always wanted to write a story like this, and here it is. I wish it could be longer, and if I could, I would write it from a marriage point of view, but I think I would be too embarrassed :P

But this has been fun. ♥ Hyuk as a Daddy ♥ Rawrs.

THIS IS AN EARLY HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO MY MONKEY ♥ Monkey Emoticons

156765_181361918549970_141277029225126_5