Bowl Me Over Chapter 1 - Tricked

A Thousand Tales - A Collection of One Shots and Short Stories

 

            Carrie hunched over the lane and prays that her ball would go the right way. “Please, not the gutter.” She had an average to maintain, and hopefully increase and if this ball went to the gutter, she was doomed until the next game. “Please, please, please,” she begged. It hit the middle pin and she closed her eyes. Gravity, force, whatever physics was at play, please. All the pins were knocked down. On the scoreboard, the large word, Strike! Beams happily out at her.

            “Yes!” she pumps her fist in the air and celebrates. She was finally back on her game after a few shaky outings. Even though this was just practice, she wants to make sure that she remains consistent.

            She straightens and decides to try her curve ball. The curve ball was hard because she has to spin her wrist and make sure that the angle in which the ball “hooked” the pins would be enough to sweep them all down.

            She took a deep breath and approached the lane when someone’s ball rolled right in front of her. How in the world that happened, she could honestly say she had no clue. Not even the worst players she has had to coach dropped their balls and had them roll horizontally onto the next lane.

            “Oops,” a deep voice said. “Guess I really wasn’t paying attention.”

            Carrie looks up and sees a tall, good looking guy next to her. He was smiling sheepishly and waved as he bent to pick up the ball. When he stood back up, he was bright red. “I feel like such a klutz. I didn’t mean to let the ball get away from me.”

            Carrie laughed. “Sure, not a problem. Do you bowl often?”

            “Definitely not as much as you do. I’ve been watching you for a while. You’re pretty good at this. Mind teaching me?”

            She glanced at the clock, trying to see how much time she had. “Or it’s okay. Forgive me for asking,” he conceded, when he saw her hesitance. “I didn’t mean to take up your time. It’s just, it’s my birthday and…” he trailed off.

            Carrie knew he was most likely guilt tripping her, but a part of her wanted to stay too. She liked listening to him talk and he was also really kind. “Nah, it’s okay. I was just practicing. Maybe by helping you, I get the chance to hone some of my own techniques.”

            The guy smiles broadly. “I’m Kris. Nice to meet you.”

            “I’m Carrie. Are you from Brooklyn? I never see you around.”

            “Ah, no. Actually, I was visiting New York City. My aunt lives around here, so she told me to come live with her.”

            “Oh, no wonder. I was going to ask who wanted to tour the “Asian” part of Brooklyn when there’s fabulous Manhattan to stay in.”

            Kris winks. “I like the charms okay?”

            “If it’s your birthday, why aren’t you celebrating it with your family?” This was something that bothered her. He didn’t seem the type to be a loner. But he was in a foreign city, so maybe friends were hard to come by.

            “Eh, my aunt is busy making the large dinner meal and most of my friends are in China. So, I’m pretty much alone this year., My mom’s in Canada and she’s upset that this is the third birthday in a row she’s missed.”

            “Why don’t you go back to Canada then if you knew that it’s your birthday?”

            “My aunt insisted. But it’s okay, because now I won’t be lonely.” He grins at her. “Thank you for finding some sympathy and spend your time with this random bum you just met.”

            Carrie shakes her head. “It’s no big deal. Our school has a tournament coming up and I really want to help us win. We have this tradition of cooking for the rest of the team, and this week happens to be my week. I made sushi and cookies. Birthday lunch?”

            Kris’ mouth drops open. “I honestly haven’t met any girl who can really make sushi. Yes! I’m so in. Thank you. You really don’t need to spend so much energy on me. I just wanted a friend to hang out with before I go back and eat long noodles and eggs.”

            She laughs and pats his arm. “It’s okay. But let me teach you how to bowl first.”

            Kris was a quick learner. Albeit a little clumsy, he was able to learn how to master the precision quickly. Carrie had to admit she was impressed. He was calm and leaned down at just the right angle. His eyes were focused on the pins, and not the ball.

            “You act like a pro,” she commented. He immediately straightened and fell back into his pose, flustered, awkward.

            His stance was all wrong now and Carrie wished she hadn’t said anything. Maybe it was all pure beginner’s luck. She hesitated before reaching around him to fix his legs. “Spread them like this and swerve your hips like this.” She walked to the next lane to demonstrate.

            Kris copies her and he laughs when the ball rolled into the gutter. “Oops, guess I still have to learn more.”

            When they took a break, Carrie brought out the food she had made and Kris smiles graciously. “Thank you.”

            She laughed and raised her glass of water. “Here’s to another fantastic year to come!”

            He picked up the chopsticks and grinned at her. He took a piece of sushi and told Carrie to open . Her cheeked burned. “What? But it’s your birthday.”

            He insisted. “Yeah and I wanted to feed you. Eat it! Don’t be so stubborn.” He pouted. “Wow, you’re so relentless, even to the birthday boy.” Carrie blushed and obeyed. Kris smiled and continued to feed her. “Okay, your turn! Feed the birthday boy.” He was really milking it up.

            Carrie frowned. “I’m teaching you how to bowl and you demand so much of me?” She pretended to be offended.

            Kris put down the food and smirks. “Oh, we’ll see about that.” Carrie watched him, absolutely mystified as he walked over to one of the lanes they were just using.

            Kris picked up a ball and expertly swung his arm, letting go of the ball at just the right angle to hit a perfect hook. He released one after the other, getting strikes every time. He straightened and shot a look towards the very bewildered girl.

            “Let’s say, I’ve been trying to figure out ways to actually talk to you, and this was the perfect opportunity.”

            Carrie’s mouth dropped open when Kris walked over to hug her. “How about you come home with me, and let me show you to my aunt? I’m sure she will be thrilled to meet my girlfriend.”

            He pulled her up and it took a couple of steps before Carrie realized what he had said. “G-girlfriend?” she sputtered.

            Kris nodded and took her hand. “Yeah, I’m confident. Just humor me.”