Heartbreaks and Heartaches

You Belong With Me

 

When they got home, Yi Jung went straight to Eunnie’s room leaving Yoo Sun wandering around the big house. She looked at the amazing paintings and forms of art inside the mansion.

 

“Hey sweetie…miss him again?” Yi Jung greeted her. She was looking at their father’s pictures again. He kissed her in her cheek.

 

“Oh you’re home, hungry? I cooked for you.” She smiled.

 

“I’m fine…I’d be full by just staring at you.” He winked at her. She blushed.

 

“Where’s Yoo Sun?”

 

“Aissh, that girl. She’s downstairs.”

 

“You brought her here?” Eunnie asked, she stood up and sat on her bed.

 

“I sense jealousy.” He .

 

“I’m not jealous.” She defended.

 

 

Yi Jung sat beside her…held her hand and kissed it. Eunnie rested her head on his shoulder.

 

 

“What is it that you want to talk about?” He asked while playing with her hand.

 

“It’s just…that…i…I don’t think that-“

 

 

 

Then the door opened revealing their grandfather in his pyjamas.

 

“Omo, Yi Jung, you’re home early. Where’s your wife-to-be?”

 

“Harabeoji, I’m not gonna marry her.”

 

“Why…my child?”

 

 

Eunnie stared at Yi Jung, she squeezed his hand. He looked at her and smiled…aww, he’s so sweet.

 

 

“Harabeoji…I can’t marry her because I’m in love with someone else.” He reasoned out.

 

“You are? Well, you know Eunnie told me you’re always busy in school and at the museum, that’s why I thought you needed someone who can help you relieve stress…and my boy, make your life fun and exciting! Who is this girl anyway? Why didn’t you tell me sooner? You should have told me before I made the announcement.”

 

“Harabeoji…I can’t imagine spending my life with any other girl than Eunnie.” He said directly.

 

“Ahhh, yes, yes, I understand that. But Eunnie will find herself a husband too…and she’ll have her own family.” Grandpa So said.

 

 

Eunnie stood up, took a deep breath and crossed her fingers.

 

 

“Harabeoji…i…I can’t imagine spending my life too…with any other man….rather than Yi Jung.” Eunnie admitted.

 

 

“AHhh, what’s wrong with you kids these days? Afraid to get married and settle on your own? I understand you can’t live without each other, you’ve been together for almost all of your lives. But…because I love you both. Whatever your decision is…you have my blessing.” He finally said.

 

 

“May I have your word on that harabeoji?” Yi Jung asked…

 

 

“Of course, this child…think that I’m fooling around?” Grandfather So scoffed.

 

 

 

“Can I choose the girl I want to marry?”

 

 

“Ahhh, sure, but you fix that problem with Yoo Sun. You’ll hurt her with your decision and bring me that girl before you make any moves.”

 

“I don’t have to bring her to you grandfather, she’s right in front of you…”

 

 

Grandpa So looked at them confusedly, he eyed his grandchildren.

 

 

“What are you saying…my child?”

 

“Harabeoji, I love Eunnie…not as a sister. Harabeoji, please give us your blessing. I really love her and I want her as my wife.”

 

“What…are, you…Eunnie? What do you mean by this?” Grandpa So can’t seem to find the right words to say.

 

“Harabeoji, we’re in love with each other…” Eunnie said.

 

“You…I knew it. I knew it… Minji was right all along…you and your mother planned this, didn’t you? Pretending she was dead already and giving you to us so that you could marry my grandson and get what you think is for you right-? You’re the reason why my son died!”

 

“Harabeoji…it’s not like that. It’s not what you think it is. I would never do such thing. I-“

 

“You…used  me, you used my son, used my grandson…you used this family for your own good!”

 

“Harabeoji, enough.  Don’t blame her for father’s death! That’s not it…how could you think of Eunnie that way? She lived with us ever since we were kids, surely you know how true her heart is to our family. You know she would never do such thing!” Yi Jung raised his voice.

 

“You…I don’t want to see your face again. You’re not my granddaughter anymore! You do not belong in here, get out!”

 

“Harabeoji…I’m sorry…I’m so-“

 

“I said get out before I…ahhh!”  Granpa So nearly collapsed.

 

“Harabeoji!” They both went to him, Eunnie tried to help but Grandpa So pushed her away.

 

“You, I want you out of my sight…ahh Yi Jung, get this girl away from me. My meds,I need my meds. Give me my meds.”  and he fainted.

 

 

Eunnie cried her heart out. Yi Jung didn’t notice her because he was busy dialing his phone for ambulance. Eunnie stared at her grandfather and Yi Jung. She can’t imagine this was happening because of her. Yes, she blamed herself for it.

 

When help came, they placed Grandpa So in a stretcher, even Yi Jung went with him without even looking back at Eunnie. He was too worried and confused of the situation.

 

Yoo Sun saw Grandpa So and Yi Jung.

 

“What happened?” She asked Yi Jung.

 

“Please do me a favor, please call hyung and tell him we’re at the hospital.” He handed her his cellphone and went with Grandpa So to the ambulance.

 

 

When they left, Eunnie immediately packed her things.She cried a lot when she saw the pictures… but this is what’s supposed to happen. Actually, what she wanted to say to him was she can’t continue with this relationship anymore. She planned to end it even if it would hurt her…a lot. She didn’t want it to end this way..now her grandfather hates her very much. God knows how much she loved this family… and she would do everything for this family. Even if it means letting them go…

 

 

At the hospital…

 

Grandpa So is already in stable condition. He just had a mild attack. Yi Jung was pacing back and forth in the lobby. Yoo Sun brought him coffee.

 

“Yi Jung-ah, you should drink this.”

 

“Just get out of here.” He said sternly.

 

“Ya, I’m only trying to help!”

 

“I don’t need your help!” And he tried to push the coffee away causing it to spill.

 

“Ahhh! It’s hot!” Yoo Sun squealed.

 

“Aisshh, you’re so clumsy.” Yi Jung said and took his handkerchief and tried to wipe her face.

 

 

Yoo Sun dropped a tear, Yi Jung saw it.

 

 

“Why are you crying?”

 

“Why do you hate me so much? Don’t marry me if you don’t like! It’s not like I would die if you won’t marry me! I’m only here to help!” She sobbed. She was crying childishly.

 

 

Yi Jung looked at her and slowly processed what she just said.

 

“Okay…I usually don’t apologize quickly to girls.”

 

“What do you mean by that?!”

 

“Nothing…aisshh, mianhe.” He finally said rolling his eyes.

 

“I’m sure I made you smile when I said you can not marry me.” She wiped her tears away.

 

“Sure you did.” He finally managed to smile.

 

“Well then, consider me your sister anyway…” She said.

 

“Mworagu?”

 

“I wanted to marry an artist…a singer, an actor, someone who’s famous! I didn’t mean an artist…like you. Paintors, and potters and sculptors…pfft! What a boring life… I want someone who’s-“

 

“Ya, there you go with your mouth again. Can you do me another favor again?” He pleaded.

 

“What is it? Ya, you owe me so much.”

 

“You have to tell my grandfather you don’t want to marry me. Tell the public; tell everyone you’re in love with someone else…”

 

“I can’t do that, you’re grandfather’s gonna kill me.”

 

“Please.”

 

“Okay…araso. You’re such a boring person. I want some action and catfight and girls competing to win over my lover’s heart.” She said.

 

“Ahhh, thank you!” He hugged her.

 

They were talking and laughing…not knowing, someone was already dying in pain. This is too much for tonight. She thought. Too much that she couldn’t handle it anymore.

 

 

She called Jan Di but she won’t pick up. She was already outside their house. She called many times but no answer. She tried her luck and…

 

 

KNOCK. KNOCK.

 

 

“Annyong hasseyo,  sorry for the late disturbance. Is Jan Di here?”

“So Eun, it’s very late…come in.” Jan Di’s mother said.

 

“We’re watching a drama, we really can’t stop at this episode. We have to finish it. You kids should watch it, such a tragic love story. Just go to her room, I think that bear’s hibernating.” She joked while sobbing, she was too moved by the drama.

 

“Thank you very much.” Eunnie said.

 

With her is her knapsack and luggage. She entered Jan Di’s room, and her mom’s right. She’s hibernating. Snoring her lungs out, with mouth open…okay, I won’t mention she’s drooling. So Eun placed her bags in one corner. She was starting tear up again, without any hesitations, she jumped in Jan Di’s bed and hugged her tightly.

 

“Jan Di-ah, can you wake up for me? I need you right now… I need someone to talk to! I need my best friend. Jan Di-ah…. Ya!”

 

“Hmmm, no Gu Jun Pyo, I will not call you jagiya even if you threaten to cut my throat out.” She mumbled.

 

“Ya Jan Di-ah, I brought something to eat!” She yelled at her ear.

 

“What? What? What is it?!” She woke up.

 

“Jan Di…” Eunnie cried and hugged her best friend.

 

“Eunnie? What are you doing here?! It’s late. What happened?”

 

“Granpa found out about Yi Jung and I… he’s in the hospital right now… He got a heart attack. I don’t know what his condition is now.” Eunnie cried. Jan Di comforted her. She turned the lights on.

 

 

“Tell me everything about it…and about that girl earlier too.” Jan Di said.

 

 

“Yi Jung told grandfather…that he wouldn’t spend his life with any other woman except me.”

 

 

“Aww, how sweet of him.”

 

“Jan Di-ah!”

 

“Okay…okay, what did your granpa say?”

 

“He said he never wanted to see me again, and…he blamed me for my father’s death. He said I don’t belong to their family anymore…”

 

“What about sunbae? Did he not defend you?”

 

“Well…yes he did. But…”

 

“But what?”

 

“There’s no use in defending me Jan Di…I’m not their real granddaughter or daughter or sister in the first place! And no matter how I try, there’s nothing I can do about it.”

 

“Well then why are you crying Eunnie?”

 

“You think I should laugh? Jan Di-ah this is not the right time to joke…”

 

“I’m not joking Eunnie… now that you’re no longer part of that family, you can love Yi Jung sunbae freely…”

 

“That…Jan Di…that…will never ever happen.”

 

“Why?”

 

“Because…we…won’t ever see each other again. We just…don’t belong with each other.”

 

“You ran away because you found out he was in love with you and now you’re running away again because your grandfather knew you’re in love with each other. Does that make any difference? You’re not marrying your grandfather… all that matters is him. As long as you two love each other then forget about how the world will react and go on with what you two think is right.”

 

“Jan Di…I appreciate those heartfelt words, but I don’t know what to think…as of now.” Eunnie said.

 

 

“Okay…let’s just slip it for tonight. I think you’ve cried enough. Does he know you’re here?”

 

“No…and please don’t ever tell him I’m here.”

 

“How long are you planning to hide?”

 

“As soon as I find a job and a good place to stay in. Would you mind adopting me for a while?”

 

“Awww…you know how I love you. Goodnight Eunnie.” Jan Di said and turned the lights off.

 

 

5 minutes have passed and Jan Di turned the lights on again.

 

 

“What is it this time Jan Di?” Eunnie said. Her eyes were puffy.

 

“You forgot to tell me about that girl.”

 

“He seems…not interested with her.”

 

“That’s good to hear. Let’s finish it then tomorrow. And oh, I think I just found you a job.”

 

“Really? Awww, I really love you Jan Di. Thank you so much.”

 

“Just stop crying.”

 

“Just promise me you won’t tell anyone, not even Jun Pyo oppa.”

 

“Araso…araso. Goodnight Eunnie.”

 

“Jal jja…Jan Di-ah.” Eunnie said and forced herself to sleep.