batch 3 // alice // 37.

☆ Hallucinated Dreams Reviews Archive ☆
 

her choice by kpopotakuxd and yeolwho05



Criticism Level: 10

28k6flk.jpg

Title: 5/5
Surprisingly, the title stands out quite well with just two simple words.  Also, it definitely gives out a romcom vibe, which are the genres of this story.

Description & Foreword: 8/10
The description is concise and to the point without giving too much away and still able to attract readers' attention. No problem with the foreword, except that you might want to say a little more with regards how the idea of this story came about (what inspired this story).

Characters:11/20
Suho - Honestly, he seemed rather out of character from reality in this story based on what I observed in variety shows and such.  It's not a big deal to me since one should not restraint a writer's creativity.  However, I find his behaviour towards Eunji in their first meeting quite awkward and seemingly out of nowhere, given the circumstances.  It seems this behaviour is just there to move the story forward with some "interesting spark", but as I mentioned, it's rather awkward.  Therefore, you might want to fix that.  Besides that, he just seems a well-intention fellow who's got fame a bit over his head and thus, he's rather arrogant.  Finally, he's not very believable in his action of confessing his "love" to Eunji in public despite being the leader of EXO and just trying to help a poor girl.  Sure, he might seem manly, but it was a rather immature action to put his and his team's career on the line like that.  He seems to have the least character development in this story even though he's one of the main characters (even static characters such as Taemin and Seohyun have a bit more development).

Eunji - She seems like a typical, rebellious teenage girl.  However, for a young woman, she definitely lives under a rock to not know who EXO is.  However, I supposed that's what makes things interesting throughout the story.  She has the most development throughout the story.

Taemin - The typical, too-good-to-be-true stepbrother who so happens to be secretly in love with his stepsister.  I can predict this since Chapter One. A somewhat flat character who would do just about anything for his stepsister.

Seohyun - The typical, supportive, bubbly best friend of the rebellious (& "cold") female protagonist.  Another flat (or static) character.

Special mention --> Eunji's stepmom.  Despite that Eunji doesn't like her, I feel as though the stepmom has the best of intentions for her stepdaughter even since Chapter One.

Overall, the characters all seem typical and common among romance K-dramas.  However, you seemed to have director mindset, seeing how you are creative in choosing your cast members for the story.

Plot: 13/20
I like how you give readers a glimpse at just how different Suho and Eunji's lives are right at the first chapter

The plot is a typical K-drama that involves music and young people.  The bad thing is that it's easy to predict how the events throughout the story will unfold.  The good thing is that readers would feel as they are watching an actual K-drama.  Also, the idea is a bit similar to Mary Stayed Out All Night at the beginning.  

Overall, the story starts out with a romcom vibe, but I read further down the line, I don't see much comedy going on.  I was keep expecting to have a laugh, but seriously, it's not a funny story at all.  Entertaining at time, but definitely not a romcom.  Another thing that's been disturbing me is all these young people don't seem to care much about their future (ie. career) but invested too much time in the game of love (especially the EXO boys here, Suho -- I'm watching you).  This is rather unrealistic. 

Flow: 5/5
Well paced.

Grammar & Vocabulary: 14/15
No glaring error that came to my attention.  Maybe just a few typos here and there.

["Your disgusting me..." Eunji mumbled.] -- Chapter Four, should be you're.

[She felt how her heart aches.] -- Chapter Six, should be ached.

Description & Emotions: 10/10
The description is vivid and I can easily see the image in my head.  I also like how you explore the state of mind of the characters at just the right balance, enough to let the readers know and sympathize with them, but not dwelling on it (going on and on about it even though the readers should be smart enough to figure what was going on).

Format (Graphics & Layout): 7/10

The font could be bigger so the words would be easier on the eyes to read, especially since this story usually have big chunks of paragraphs. I like the poster on your description/foreword page better than the one shown throughout the rest of the story because the latter is really choppy, although the atmosphere is still right on.

Overall Enjoyment: 4/5
Despite that it's seventeen chapters so far, it has been rather an easy read in one go since I feel as though I'm watching a K-drama.

Total: 77/100 // B(+) 
I apologize for the delay.  Please remember to follow all the rules.


» layout credit