Chapter 9

Special Kiss (Playful Kiss 2)

 

Special Kiss Chapter 9

 

Author

The couple went downstairs to discover three sleeping figures in the living-room.

“Looks like, we weren’t the only ones, who overslept.”, Ha Ni said.

They walked into the kitchen and found a note on the fridge:

I’m going out with some of my friends. I’ll be back at 9PM.

Eun Jo

“Dad cooked.”, Ha Ni looked at the dishes on the table.

“He’s gone to work already? Today’s Saturday, isn’t he supposed to go later?”, Seung Jo was confused.

“I think he’s trying to avoid ahjumma.”, she told him.

“I’m really not fully convinced of your crush theory, concerning your dad and ahjumma…”, he stated his doubts.

“But it’s true. You should believe unnie.”, Min Seol, who just woke up had heard their discussion.

“Min Seol-ah, you’re up? Come, eat something. My dad cooked.”, Ha Ni motioned to her to sit down as she did that herself.

“Ahjusshi? It’s been really long since I last ate something made by him. I’ll just come in a minute.”, Min Seol said.

“Sure, take your time.”, Seung Jo smiled at her as she walked off.

Some time passed and Min Seol came back in company of her mother and Mrs. Baek.

Everyone was eating peacefully until Mrs. Beak remembered something: “Ha Ni-ah, where did you go in the middle of the night?”

“I couldn’t sleep, so I went back to our room.”, Ha Ni blushed as she responded.

“Is that so?”, she asked, her sight focused on the little red spot on her daughter-in-law’s neck and she smiled knowingly.

“Eun Jae-ah, you know, I really hope to become a grandmother soon. Wouldn’t that be great?”, she sighed.

“Sure, I believe our Ha Ni here will make a great mother someday, don’t you think?”, Eun Jae was happily playing along in her friend’s little teasing game.

Geum Hee (Mrs. Baek) smiled: “Of course she will. Yah, Seung Jo-ah, Ha Ni-ah, when are you two planning on giving me a grandchild, huh?”

Ha Ni choked on her water while Seung Jo patted her back.

“You okay?”, he looked at his wife, who nodded and then turned to his mother: “Omeoni!”

“What?”, she shrugged innocently: “I’m just desperate to become a grandmother, as soon as possible.”

Embarrassment was visible on both Seung Jo’s and Ha Ni’s face.

Yes, Hwang Geum Hee was able to do that, she was able to shut the both of them and even make them blush.

Min Seol watched the whole scene in silence with a small smile planted on her lips.

It had been a long time since she had felt so warm and comfortable. Seeing how she was a neighbor now, she thought, she might be seeing such situations more often.

The rest of the breakfast was not really eventful. Eun Jae and Min Seol stayed for the rest of the evening. The two mothers were busy chatting and gossiping while Seung Jo was about to die, as he listened to Ha Ni and Min Seol, trying to convince him of their parent’s secret feelings for each other. He couldn’t even excuse himself. Eun Jo was definitely right, he thought, Min Seol was very much like Ha Ni and the two of them together would be very difficult to handle, if he hadn’t been used to his Ha Ni.

He found out that the girl was much like a little sister for his wife and vice versa.

The day flew by and so did two weeks.

While Eun Jae was often busy working and didn’t have enough time to spend with her daughter (which left both of them lonely, normally), Geum Hee invited Min Seol over on a regular basis. Eun Jo wasn’t totally into this situation but he coped, he went out with his friends as much as possible, since it was summer vacation.

Ha Ni even forgot completely about her results for the nursing license, that was, until her mother-in-law handed her an envelope from the university.

They were in their bedroom now and Seung Jo had opened his envelope to confirm that he, once again, was ranked number one. He looked over to his wife, who was still sitting in her chair, stiff, the envelope with her results on the table, untouched.

 

Ha Ni

“Aren’t you going to open it?”, Seung Jo’s voice pulled me out of my trance. The moment was finally there. My results were out, lying right in front of me.

Why couldn’t I bring myself to look at them? Why? Just one look, one look would be enough, for me to cry out in joy or break down in despair. I gulped: “I can’t.”

“Just look at it! It’s alright, if you didn’t pass. You can retake the exam, right?”, Seung Jo was trying to give me some assurance but at that time I just watched him with an expression, as if saying: Have you gone insane?

“Can you do it for me?”, I asked after a while: “Please!”, I put on by best puppy look.

He sighed and took the envelope: “Are you sure?”

I nodded.

He tore the envelope open, took out the paper inside and examined it carefully.

For a brief second, his eyes widened, like he was shocked but composed himself right after. His gaze shifted between me and the piece of paper in his hands. Why wasn’t he saying anything? Did I actually fail?

I was expecting the worst, when he spoke again: “I don’t believe this.”, he sounded like he didn’t, whatever it was, that was written in that letter.

I was getting anxious: “Seung Jo-ah, did I fail? Are my marks that bad?”

He shook his head: “Ani, your marks aren’t that bad, it’s just…”

“I still failed.”, I stated sadly.

Again he shook his head.

“I passed?”, I asked carefully, trying not to hope for too much.

He nodded. So, I passed? I was so shocked I couldn’t utter a word, I just sat there, processing the news. Slowly, a bright smile spread over my face.

Then I saw him, still looking at the letter in disbelief.

“What?”, I wanted to know, what was wrong with him. Suddenly, he grinned, like a stupid little schoolboy: “I just can’t believe, what I’m seeing, that’s it.”

“You mean the fact that I passed?”, was it that hard to believe for him?

“Not that but the fact that you are at rank number eight.”, he told be boldly.

Wait! What did he say? Rank number what? Eight?!

“Eight?!”. I squealed and jumped up and down.

He nodded, still grinning. I took the letter to see for myself.

There it was: Student Baek Ha Ni – Rank #8

I jumped into Seung Jo’s arms and hugged him, practically choking him.

Over hundred students had taken this exam and I was at rank number eight.

Neither Seung Jo nor me could actually grasp this reality…

End of Chapter

 

Hey my dear readers!

I'm sorry I'm late with the update, hope you guys forgive me :)

Anyways, I'm actually very satisfied with this chapter. I know, many of you might think that it's strange for Ha Ni to be that good in her studies

but I figured that, if she was able to get rank 50 in High School - with I don't know how many students- then she should be able to get rank 8 in this exam(where there are only like 100+ students taking part)

I hope you get my idea. Also those nights of studying with Seung Jo had to pay off at some point, right? And on top of that I wanted Seung to be proud of her, like really PROUD (though I know he already is).

As for the teasing mother, well, we all know madam Hwang Geum Hee, don't we? :D

Thanks for all the lovely comments guys. I love them. Especially the ones that say something about my writing(style).

Keep commenting and subscribing, I love you for doing that...I'll upload the next chapter as soon as possible, so please stay by my side!

(goodness, that was such along author's note, sorry for that)

Kamsahamnida!

p.s. 65 subscribers AAAAHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (Totally happy and dancing aroud, like alittle child :D)