Chapter 44

Special Kiss (Playful Kiss 2)

 

Special Kiss Chapter 44

 

Seung Jo

Where the hell was that bloody noise coming from?

Somehow, in my sleepy daze, I recognized that it was mobile that was ringing.

My hand felt around on the bedside table, searching for the phone.

Once it was in front of my face, I cracked an eye open for an instant, to see my wife’s name flashing across the screen.

I greeted her with a groan.

“Seung Jo-ah, you have to come to the hospital! Immediately!”, what was she talking about? My shift had been over only four hours ago.

“Baek Seung Jo!”, she was practically yelling into the speaker: “Are you even listening to me?”, she sounded more than angry, almost desperate: “I swear to god! If you don’t get here within the next hour, you will sleep on the couch, for the rest of your life!”

Now that, sure as hell woke me up: “What’s wrong?”

The voice on the other end of the line suddenly grew suspiciously silent.

“Ha Ni-ah, I need you, to tell me what’s going on.” , if my wife wasn’t speaking, then something was definitely wrong.

“Mrs. Park wants to see you.”, she told me quietly.

Hearing these words, my body shot up from the bed: “I’ll be right there.”

Ha Ni muttered a small goodbye and we hung up.

If it concerned Mrs. Park, then it was no wonder that Ha Ni had been so riled up just now.

I knew perfectly well, what this call had meant.

Doctors and nurses were always warned, not to get too close to their patients.

Why?

Pretty simple actually. To avoid such situations as the one Ha Ni and I were in, right now. Such a stupid situation but it couldn’t be helped, now could it? Every doctor and nurse was, at least once, stuck in these circumstances and it wasn’t really easy to deal with.

By now, I was speeding down the roads, in the direction of the hospital. I had to get there as fast as possible and was lucky enough that, there was just minimal traffic at five o’clock in the morning.

Twenty minutes later, my car was parked in the hospital’s parking lot and I stormed through the entrance, keeping my focus on reaching room no.198.

Ha Ni was already there, holding one of Mrs. Park’s hands, sitting on the edge of her bed. Mr. Park was holding his wife’s other hand.

I walked over to the bed and stood behind Ha Ni, my hands on her shoulders.

She brought her free hands up and squeezed one of mine.

The room was completely silent, except for our breathing and the noises of the life-keeping machines.

“Mr. Park, are you absolutely sure?”, my voice sounded really strange, as if someone else was talking instead of me.

The old man gave his wife a longing look, before closing his eyes and releasing a dragged out sigh: “Yes…yes, I’m sure.”

I nodded to Ha Ni, who stood up hesitantly and switched the machines off, which kept Mrs. Park alive, once and for all.

One last minute went by and the erratic line on the heart monitor slowly but surely straightened out, leaving only the sound of a passed live.

A heavy atmosphere took the room over in mere seconds.

“Is it alright with you, if I stay here for a few minutes…alone?”, Mr. Park was clearly suppressing tears.

I wanted to answer him, I really did but I just couldn’t bring myself to form any coherent words.

As if sensing my black out, Ha Ni answered: “Of course, Mr. Park, take your time.”, then turning to me: “Dr. Baek, let’s go.”, she grabbed my hand and pulled me out of the room, closing the door behind us.

 

Ha Ni

I wanted to cry, I wanted to cry so much but I knew that I couldn’t. If I lost myself, then who would be there for Seung Jo?

He was staring through the little window into the room, his face nothing but a blank expression.

With shaky fingers, I started to fill out the patient charts for Mrs. Park.

For a few moments, three words, made me wish that, I had never chosen this job:

Time of death: 05:32 am

 

Author

After filling out the charts, Ha Ni put a hand on Seung Jo’s shoulder, who was still in some kind of trance: “Seung Jo-ah, are you alright?”

He turned to face her, still with the blank expression: “Yeah, I’m fine… I’ve got rounds to do, so I guess, I’ll see you later.”

And with these words, he was gone.

Ha Ni knew exactly, what was going through her husband’s mind, she had learned to read him throughout the years.

It had been a month, since they had come back from their second honeymoon. They had been content but the happiness didn’t last very long, because only one and a half week after their return, Seung Jo had had to operate Mrs. Park, an open-heart surgery. To everyone’s delight, it had been successful, but that too didn’t last very long. Somehow Mrs. Park had caught an infection, which had, mixed with the aftermath of the surgery, caused her to go into coma. There had been nothing that could have been done for her anymore and so Mr. Park had taken the decision, to end his wife’s misery…

It was, so to say, a nasty twist of fate.

But Seung Jo, Ha Ni was sure of that, was blaming himself and she was right.

Seung Jo’s brain was busy, thinking of something, of anything that could have prevented the old woman’s death.

As desperately as he might have tried, he couldn’t find anything and he cursed his intelligence, which was good enough for so many things but still hadn’t provided him with a solution…

End of Chapter

 

Hey guys!

Really sorry for the long wait and don't even have a proper reason but I still hope you don't mind so much...

I know this quite a depressing chapter but don't worry, because the next chapter is the last one (and then there will be an epilogue) and I promised you guys the ultimate sweetness, remember?

Those of you, who are worried about the Eun Jo&Min Seol spin-off, don't be, because I have begun writing that too but I will start posting it only after I finish Special Kiss =D

Oh and by the way, so many new subscribers here, I am OVERJOYED!!! Plus the respose I got for the fisrt chapter of my new story  was amazing!!!!!!!!!!

Whenever I logged in there was "new subscribers" or "new comments" and it was so much that I didn't have the chance to say thanks to everyone personally for subscribing, I'm doing it now (and later in the other story) THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!

Back to this chapter: What do you think will happen in the last chapter?

Send me your guesses! Oh and one more thing, I was thinking of answering questions, after the epilogue, so last chance people, if you want to ask something about this story or the characters, then please do it! =)

Also, I'm sorry for any typos or grammar mistakes but it's almost morning and I really don't have the strenght in me to proof read this =)

Kamsahamnida!