Chapter 27

We will see how this ends

Chapter 27

I asked Mina quietly if she could get me Minhyuk's graduation gift from my room. She nodded and went. Fast and unnoticed. She reminded me of a ninja in that very moment. When she came back she was holding the present. I spent a lot of time online to find something I thought he would like and after that I put a lot of effort in wrapping it nicely. I just hoped he likes it. Mina came back without the present. I looked at her. Asking silently why she didn't bring it. She crossed the room and whispered in my ear that she wasn't able to find the present. I think I will have to make up an excuse, so that Minhyuk accompanies me to my room later on.

The whole day the three of us chatted, went for a walk, ate. And so on. To Minhyuk's horror his grandmother told me storied about Minhyuk when he was young. She even showed me pictures. He looked so adorable back then.

At around four o'clock I felt pretty exhausted because of the walking and bid good-bye to his grandmother. “It was very nice meeting you. I hope we will see each other again soon.” I said and bowed to her afterwards. “You too.” She smiled. In this moment Mina's beeper beeped. She had to leave. “Mianhae. Maybe Minhyuk can walk you to your room.” she apologetic smiled before leaving the room. I sighed. “It would be an honour.” Minhyuk said, while offering me his arm. I smiled and took it. “I will make sure he returns real quick halmoni.” I told his grandmother. “Don't rush that poor boy.” she said with a knowing smile on her face. “I will be back soon.” Minhyuk promised and his grandmother waved. Obviously wanting us to leave already. As soon as we left the room Minhyuk gave me a disappointed look. “Why didn't you tell me you can walk again? I was so surprised to see you sitting there without the wheelchair.” Guilt washed over me. “That would have ruined the surprise.” I said. He laughed. “Don't make up excuses. You simply forgot to tell me.” I flashed him my brightest smile. He let out a chuckle. “This girl.” he said it in a tender voice.

When we reached my room I stopped clinging to him and went (with shaky legs) to get his present. “Here. My graduation gift for you.” I was shy all of a sudden. He looked surprised but soon a smile spread over his face. “Thank you. I didn't expect anything actually.” he admitted. “You aren't going to open it?” After that he started unwrapping the present carefully. It was a Japanese samurai sword. “I thought you would like it since you started practising...” my voice trailed off. His hug caught me by surprise. “Thank you. It is beautiful.” I smiled, happy he liked it. “By the topic of Japan. What do you know about Japanese culture?” he asked. “Nothing. Wae?” I asked curious about his inquisitiveness. He pulled the second button from his uniform and handed it to me. “In Japan boys give their second button to the girl they like. The second button is the one closest you the heart. If the girl who received the button likes the boy as well she wears the button and if they see each other again and the girl still wears the button Japanese people believe that this is a sign of true and everlasting love.” he said nervously. I took the button, uncertain what to do with it. “I will visit again tomorrow. If you wear the button I will ask you to be my girlfriend. If not I will drop this topic and never talk about my feelings for you again.” he told me. I just smiled. I didn't trust my voice right now. I couldn't deny that my heart beat erratically when I heard those words. I also felt warm and as if I matter. But it felt different from the feelings I had for Myungsoo. And that is the only comparison I had.

I changed into my PJs. I was finally allowed to stop wearing this ugly hospital gown and laid down on my bed. The moment I had my blanket wrapped around my body the door opened and Yu Mi entered. “Hey graduation girl” I greeted. Happy that she came. “Hey there. I hope you still study, so you will be able to graduate next year as well.” she said. I guess I forgot to mention that there were teachers in the hospital who taught all the kids in the hospital who were unable to attend school.

I handed her two presents. “Graduation gift.” She was so excited that she tore the paper apart. “Hey slow there missy” I said. She scoffed but smiled shortly after. One was a photo book of the two of us. She smiled and hugged me. Tears glittering in her eyes. She opened the other present. It was a little make-up box. “You have to look pretty when you go to university. Did you already decide where you want to go?” I asked. She looked at me and gulped. “Hwa-Young. I know where I will be attending university.” she spoke slowly and clearly. Something in her voice was off. “Where?” I asked, dreading the answer.

I am an exchange student. I only attended High school in Korea. I am originally from Taiwan and I have to go back soon. My mother is Korean and she wanted me to get to know this culture.” she took a deep breath. I was petrified. “And also I had to get some distance between me and Taiwan.” I could tell that the topic was a soft spot of hers because her voice sounded chocked. I didn't want her to cry. “It is okay. You don't have to tell me.” I sincerely said and I meant it. “I know. But I want to tell you. Back in Taiwan I had a younger sister. We were really close and told each other everything. But one day she stopped talking so much. She didn't want to go to school anymore and just lay in bed all day. My parents practically forced her to school and with every passing day she grew unhappier and in the end she was depressed.” she started sobbing and so did I because I imagined how I would feel if the same happened to Hee-Young. “This continued for month. And after 8 month. On the 16th of July she didn't return. She just didn't come back from school. At night the police called. They had found my sister. She was dead. She committed suicide by jumping in front of a train.” I hugged Yu Mi tightly. She needed the comfort. “Later we found out that she had been bullied in school. And even after her death they didn't stop. Some of her classmates even said such things as: 'Serves her right. Finally she is dead. I couldn't stand her.' as we announced that she killed herself. I was so angry at myself that I did every possible thing to hurt myself. And this loss is the reason why I didn't let people close to me. I didn't want to experience this again. That's the reason I didn't have a friend, before I met you.” I sobbed but somehow I managed to ask her why she befriended with me although I was close to dying. “I heard rumours that I should be in love with Myungsoo. So I found out who he is and noticed you. You acted exactly like my sister before she got her depressions. You two are so similar. I think you would have gotten along very well.” she cried even harder now. “Thank you for being my friend.” I said and it came from the bottom of my heart.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am so so so so so sorry for not updating but it was exam week and I have been busy like hell. I will try to update the rest of the story within the next few days, so I hope you can bear my slow updating a little longer