Chapter 21

We will see how this ends

Chapter 21

The following two weeks I only survived this whole treatment because everyday after school ended Myungsoo, Sungyeol, Bom, Sandra, CL and Minzy dropped by and entertained. Due to the Chemotherapy I lost all my hair. But the most surprising thing was that Minhyuk came. Every night, the last hour of visiting hours. We would work on the project we had to do with the Juniors. Minhyuk didn't back out of this partnership. I was so happy when he told me because it was boring laying around all day got nothing to do. But after those blissful (for my circumstances at least) weeks the visits got rarer. I was disappointed. Who do think stopped visiting? Minhyuk, because the project was over? Wrong he continued visiting.

One evening I was laying in my hospital bed reading a book. When the door opened and 2NE1 and Myungsoo came in. Without Sungyeol. “Hey” they greeted, their voices sounded depressed. I smiled and waved. I didn't trust my voice because I felt that something was terribly wrong. Sungyeol was the only one out of them who could make me laugh. Like really laugh. The others were capable of making me smile but not laugh. They stood around my bed and then Bom started talking. “I don't know hoe you guys feel about this” she said, looking at the ones who stood around my bed. When she continued talking she looked me straight in the eye “but I can't do this anymore. I can't bear seeing you like this. So vulnerable and fragile. Mian. But I don't think I can bring myself to visiting you anymore.” Tears rushed down her face. She took a little wrapped box out of her backpack and walked toward the door. At the door she turned around. “Good bye Youngie”. I stared blankly at the door. I couldn't believe that just happened. “I am terribly sorry but me neither.” With that Myungsoo left. I didn't hear what the others were saying but soon the room was empty except for me and Minzy. I saw that she was uncomfortable about what the other did. CL, the one I had the best relationship to and Myungsoo, the boy I have known forever and had the hugest crush on left me just because I was sick. I felt like crying but I couldn't. There were no tears. “Forget it. You won't get rid of just because you are a little sick. I am like one of those annoying flies that never go away even though you try to make them.” Minzy said. It was an attempt to make me smile. “Mission accomplished” she said when I started smiling. “So since I have you all to myself now. What are we going to do?” the tender voice she had used to speak with me before was replaced with her usual one. Just when she finished talking the door opened and Sungyeol stepped in with a large bouquet of flowers. They were beautiful. He put them on a vase on the table. “So much for just us” Minzy sighed stagy. She looked so utterly disappointed that I had to smile. Meanwhile Sungyeol finished arranging the flowers and walked to sit next to my bed. “Mian, little one.” he said just to . Uh-oh. Minzy ain't gonna like that. Tadah. She slowly turned around to him. “Say that again.” she growled. Sungyeol stood up because Minzy slowly started walking towards him. When she was this close to reaching her he said “little one” and jumped over me on the other side of the bed. I let out a short scream due to his little surprising stunt. I thought Minzy would freak out but then her scary face turned into a super cute pout and she sat down next to me. “Unni~~. He is mean. Help” she whined and looked at me with puppy eyes. I playfully glared at Sungyeol and tried to mollify our little upset Minzy. Today I had gone through a lot. Physically and mentally. I was worn out and tired. “Thank you. That means a lot to me.” I told them with a genuine smile on my face and both of them knew what I meant and smiled back. “No problem. Anything for you” Sungyeol said. There was a playful tone in his voice. I smiled. Minzy (still pouting) only hugged me. I hugged her back but soon realised my eyes were getting heavier by every minute. “Sleep” I said with an tired voice. Minzy embedded me tentative, when she was satisfied and sure I would be comfortable she walked to Sungyeol. “Poor Youngie.” she said. “I wish I knew a way to help her.” From her voice I could tell that she was close to crying. Good job Hwa-Young. I hated myself at this very moment. “We have to be there for her. That's the only thing we can do.” Sungyeol said. His voice sounded sad as well. Then Minzy started crying. “Com here” Sungyeol said and I was pretty sure he hugged her. But I fell asleep. When I woke up my parents were absorbed in a conversation with Minhyuk and my little sister was sitting next to me, holding my hand. As soon as she realized I was awake she withdrew her hand and pretended nothing happened. “How was school?” I asked in a soft voice. “Sure, you are charged in the hospital because of leukaemia but the first thing you ask is how school went. You are one of a kind. BTW school was the usual. Annoying classmates. Boring lectures. How are you” she said. At first her voice was upset but soon she smiled. I only nodded. She understood that as “I had a great day too. Thanks for asking” and was satisfied. The other then realized I was awake and crowded around my bed. Minhyuk handed me a folder while saying “hi”. “What is this?” I asked curious. “Our project. We did great. We got an A.”he said. I smiled. Hard work always shows a result you can be proud of. I liked that Minhyuk talked to me the same way he always has. I felt so normal around him because of that. “Okay, then I will leave you to it. I won't be able to visit the next three day. The competitions are taking place. But I will see you after that.” Mihyuk said. Oh, right. The compitions. I really would have loved to go. I didn't want him to leave. “Stay. We could play games all together.” I said. “Would that be okay?” he asked, addressing my parents. They nodded and we played card gamed until a nurse came in. “Visiting hours are over and I can't let you stay any longer.” she said. I looked at the clock on the wall. She came half an hour later then she was supposed to. “Thank you.” I said. “And I see you guys tomorrow.” My family and Minhyuk walked toward the door after saying good-bye. “Minhyuk, kick . I am sure you will win.” He let out a soft laugh. It sounded like music in my ears. “Sleep well.” he said with an amazing smile on his face. Then the door fell shut.