The Ex and the Best Friend [VIXX, Hongbin]

For The Love of Writing. One Shot Collection

Being Hongbin’s best friend was truly a task, Hana would know.  Firstly, he looked almost unreal, like his entire figure had been sculpted by the gods themselves. Secondly, every other person wanted to get close to him and therefore would pester her. Thirdly, dating was close to impossible simply because men had fragile egos and could not handle the fact that a being like Hongbin could simply be your friend.

Sure, Hana had to admit, Hongbin was pretty awesome. Good looks aside, he was pretty unbeatable at most games and would definitely nerd out with her without judgement. But he was always there to judge her weird moments even though he’s holding back a smile while doing so. Of course there have been nights where she had to rush over with dinner because he’s nearly set the kitchen on fire. This is probably why Taekwoon would never let him in the kitchen again, but Hana knew Hongbin would try again, maybe with Hyuk, resulting in even more disaster. And of course those days where he would turn up with snacks and fruits (“I don’t like snacks as much as I like fruit alright?”) and they would binge watch some random anime or play videogames till either one of them fell asleep. Let’s not forget all the goofiness that was so crucial in the existence of the soft bean known as Lee Hongbin. Hana couldn’t imagine life without having the man around, however beautiful he was.

But no, everyone wanted to focus on the fact that he was the visual and member of the popular kpop group VIXX. Which was why dating anyone was a problem. There was always the question of whether she was attracted to her best friend. After all he was ‘popular’ and ‘good-looking’ and really ‘cool’. Hana could neither deny nor agree with this, her relationship with Hongbin was what it was and she wouldn’t let some other man’s fragile ego ruin it. Which was why, right after her recent breakup, she faced Hongbin in a small nondescript café sipping on a caramel macchiato.

“That’s unfortunate, what did he say was the problem?” Hongbin said, as he took a sip of his own hibiscus tea.

“Some rubbish.” Hana grumbled, taking another sip out of her macchiato as Hongbin frowned.

“Some rubbish isn’t really a good enough reason to break up with someone. Plus that was the same reason you gave me for the last two break ups.” He said, setting his mug down and looking at her for a clearer answer. Hana sighed, knowing that there was no way to evade the question this time. Hongbin had been patient enough to sit through half-assed excuses the last two times, but he was a no-nonsense kind of person and Hana loved that about him.

“Couldn’t deal with the fact that you’re my friend.” She mumbled into her drink as his eyebrow shot up in response.

“What?”

“Their fragile male egos cannot deal with the fact that my best friend is a handsome successful man.” She said, now looking up from her drink so her voice would be clearer as Hongbin’s lip quirked up but his eyebrow twitched.

“Seriously? I was the cause of the last three break ups?” he asked, a little surprised. He paused before asking again with a grin “was the recent one because I whooped his in Overwatch?”

“Hongbin! Be serious! I genuinely cannot date anyone because they’re so jealous of you.” Hana groaned as Hongbin shrugged.

“I honestly do not know what to do about that. Do you want me to stop being friends with you?” he met her eyes again, taking a sip of his tea before leaning back in the plus cushion of his seat. She instantly felt guilty.

“No! That’s not what I want…honestly, I don’t know what to do about this.” She sighed, reaching for her coffee cup when she spotted a familiar figure coming in their direction from the window.

“Hey, you alright?” Hongbin’s voice snapped her out of her daze as she gaped at her ex crossing the street towards them. Sometimes Hana forgets how much she likes her best friend’s voice and at this moment, she is reminded of it again.

“My ex is coming this way.”

“Oh?” he peered through the window to look for the same man, he noticed that he had successfully caught his attention before turning to Hana “well, kiss me so he can see.”

Hana whirled towards him wide eyed “I’m sorry, what?!”

“Kiss me, so he can see. Ask questions later.” Hongbin said firmly as Hana looked back at him hesitantly. She wouldn’t deny that she didn’t think her best friend was attractive, but this? This was a bit too much. Except when she saw him leaning towards her, she found herself moving towards him and for a moment their lips brushed against each other’s. His fingers reached to cup her cheek and hold her firmly against him and for that moment, Hana was certain she could see spots when his lips moved against hers. He pulled away just when she registered that she was kissing her best friend and it actually felt incredible.

Her peripheral vision told her that her ex was standing by the window with his jaw nearly touching the ground as she tried to cool down her burning cheeks. Hongbin held back a laugh, before pressing another kiss to her forehead. What he said next left Hana speechless.

“Maybe next time you can date me, so there won’t be any worries about a fragile male ego worried about your friendship with me.” He grinned, leaning his forehead against hers.

“Maybe I’ll consider it Lee Hongbin.” She said, still blushing.