Awkward First Meeting [EXO, Kai/Jongin]

For The Love of Writing. One Shot Collection

Inspired by this post 

Predebut AU


Jongin was supposed to wait for Kyungsoo at the pool parlour. Ever since they had become friends, he had begun accompanying Kyungsoo to the pool parlour for a couple of games of snooker. He wasn’t all that great, he’d have to admit and Kyungsoo often took great pleasure in whooping his almost every game. But learned a thing or two from the shorter man.

He sighed, leaning against the pool table waiting for his friend to arrive when the door flew open and his attention was diverted to the creaking hinges. Maybe it was the large eyes that blinked in wonder, or the long legs that were clad in a pair of denim shorts, or the certain something about her that made Jongin’s eyes stay on the figure entering the room for a little longer than necessary.

It was an awkward silence as she wandered towards the bar and spoke to the man behind the counter in hushed tones. Jongin looked around the space, trying to avert his eyes from her. He wondered if it was how she walked, maybe how vaguely familiar she looked with chubby cheeks but athletic body. His eyes followed her as she ran her fingers over the pool-sticks plucking one out of the stand at random.

Was she going to play?

There was a floral scent that followed her as she approached the table. Their eyes met as she gently took her position at the table as Jongin took a step back away from her giving her space to lean against the table. She nodded shyly in acknowledgement as she hovered over the table, one long leg flexing backwards as she gazed at the coloured balls in the centre of the table. Jongin crossed his arms, still standing behind her, watching. She drew the pool stick back…

It was blinding pain as the end of the stick came in contact with something a wee bit too sensitive for such force. A choice curse was uttered as he came sinking to the ground and she spun around with a horrified face. Jongin was nearly in tears as she dropped the pool stick instantly and quickly squatted down next to him.

“Oh my god! I’m so sorry!” she wrung her hands ask she looked around frantically thinking of anyway she could help. Jongin continued to writhe in pain as she tried to comfortingly rub his back, not that it did any good. He breathed heavily as she looked at him still worried.

“I’m really sorry!”

He exhaled heavily “It’s alright.” No it wasn’t.

She helped him up as they stumbled over to a chair and she still looked at him worried.

“I’m really sorry. How can I make it up to you?” Jongin had a clearer look at her face. It was clear, large eyes fixed on him with worry, small pretty lips pursed, and an embarrassed blush on her face. Her long hair had been tied back in a ponytail as well and for just a second Jongin didn’t mind being whacked in the crotch.

“It’s really alright. It was an accident.” Jongin waved his hands as she shifted away slightly, realizing how close they were.

“Let me at least get you a cup of coffee, just to make it up to you?”

Jongin pursed his lips, he didn’t particularly like coffee. But she was looking at him with anxiety that he blankly nodded bustling towards the bar counter again. Jongin gazed at her only snapping out of it when the door flew open again.

“Oppa!” he watched her squeal as Kyungsoo entered with another familiar trainee. The same chubby cheeks, eyes and general aura.

“Oh, she’s Minseok hyung’s sister.”

“Jongin! You’re here.” Kyungsoo clapped his shoulder as Minseok approached him with the pretty girl he had been watching (and had been whacked in the crotch by).

“Yeah.”

“Oppa, you know him?” she asked as Minseok nodded.

“He’s training with me.”

“Oh. Here you go.” she said slowly handing Jongin the cup of coffee as Minseok shot him a glare.

“I see you’ve met my baby sister Minah.”

Jongin nodded as Minah looked at the ground awkwardly. Their eyes met for a brief second as Minseok continued to look at Jongin. Minah smiled and Jongin felt his knees wobble.

This was definitely not the last time they would meet.