Chapter 22 : Starry Night

The Ice Princess's Mission to Heal Chanyeol's Heart

26th July, Sunday (01:00)

Later that night, Chaeyoung waited for her partner in crime, leaning against the brick wall surrounding the compound of the house. A few minutes later, she fell a pat on her shoulders, Chanyeol stood there with a grin. She wanted to hit Chanyeol for making her wait at 1 am in the dark,alone but that will end up with Chanyeol screaming, waking up everyone in that area with his loud, low scream. So she settled with a half smile, half smirk instead, before walking of.

"Oi young one. Wait for me." Chanyeol grabbed her wrist, hoping it'll stop her from walking too fast. With the pace she's walking, she'll probably win a walkathon. 

She glared at the taller guy and signaled him to keep his voice down. The latter smiled a small smile and tried to keep up with her pace.

"So where are we going?" He half-whispered , looking at her with his huge eyes. She ignored him and continued to walk to their destination, the taller teenager tailing behind her like a lost puppy.

They arrived at a playground, just a few meters away from the house and Chaeyoung jogged towards one of the swings. Chanyeol followed behind, only he didn't jog, he was walking with a sulky face.

"I bet your face is 100x times more sour than 50 lemons." Chaeyoung teased, her lips pressed in a small smile.

Chanyeol scoffed as he sat beside the unoccupied swing on the shorter's left, "It's 1am and we end up going to a playground?"

She shrugged, the smile still visible, "What do you expect? Clubs?"

Chanyeol shoot her an annoyed look, "So much for adventure young dara." 

"Dara Young." She corrected him, narrowing her eyes.

Chanyeol stucked his tongue out, "I call you what i want"

Chanyeol heard her mumble some warnings to him, something about kicking his or something but he could have swore she smiled at the end of the sentence. Not the 'you'll be dead' smile but her genuine smile that he has learned to love.

Unconsciously his lips formed a smile as he observed her silently. Chaeyoung threw her head back with her eyes close, enjoying the cool night summer breeze. Her long hair was down, the way he liked it. He had an urge to push it away from her face as the wind blows it. From the side, he could see her gorgeous side profile. He wondered if her hair was as soft as it seemed or if it smelt as nice or maybe even more than her cousins who has proofed that they smelt nice even after a hard time during gym class. He heard her exhale as she straighten her posture and swung her swing slowly.

"Yeol-da. What is your favourite part of a playground in general?" She asked without looking at him.

Chanyeol looked away and stared at the direction she was looking at, the empty streets and the houses that are now dark, everyone probably asleep. 

"I personally like the monkey bars. You know just hanging." He joked and grinned. He patted himself on the back and praised himself.

Chaeyoung looked at him weirdly, and laughed. "You're a psycho."

He imitated her and dodge away when she tried throwing her left slipper towards him. He faked a shock expression. 

She laughed and got up to pick her slipper, hitting his arm as she walked pass him.

"And my young one, what is your favourite part of a playground in general?" Chanyeol asked faking some weird accent, she couldn't recognize.

She settled herself back on the first swing and looked at Chanyeol. "I don't know. The happy kids running around like there are no problems in the world." 

Chanyeol stared at her, and observed her face, this time she wasn't staring at her side profile. 
He then noticed that her left eye is slightly smaller than her right and she has a small scar on her left cheek, he probably noticed it because of her makeup-less face that night.

"Yeol?" Chaeyoung said snapping her thumb and middle finger in front of his face. He blinked and smiled, "Ah. Nae.. so kids eh?"

She shrugged and chuckled, "But when I was younger i liked swings. I used to believe if you swing hard enough you can fly."

Chanyeol laughed, "You're the weird one okay"

She laughed along and shrugged, "I had very high imagination." 

"So did you fly with the birds everyday?" He teased, pushing her lightly. 

She chuckled and nodded. But her smile disappears as she shudders out of the blue, "Until i fell in 2nd Grade, my tooth fell out. And i earned a scar on my elbow." 

Chanyeol laughed, almost losing his balance on the swing. Chaeyoung glared at him before pushing him, hoping he'll fall.

They both laughed when he fell, "Yah! I can't help imagine you with no teeth! " 

She whined and buried her head into her palms, "It was one tooth!"

"Wait." Chanyeol got up and kneeled in front of her, cupping her face in his hands. Her face felt warm, her skin soft as silk. He might be the one cupping her face, but he felt his face burning, she noticed how flustered how he looked too. 

He cleared his throat and continued his teasing, he grinned trying to cover the fact he was as red as a tomato and laughed, "I just imagined you teethless " 

"Yah!" She pushed away his hand roughly and sulked.

"You don't look any better without teeth okay!" She defended herself laughing. He laughed along and pushed her lightly. For some reason, whenever they are left together, even the smallest, tiniest thing makes them laugh. They can't help it. Still laughing, she got up and extended her arms to Chanyeol who was almost lying on the ground, laughing uncontrollably. He grabbed her hand,and let her her help him to stand, she was dragging him to one of the picnic benches there. This was definately not the first time their hands touched, but he felt weird, a warm feeling spreading through his veins. He liked the feeling, he liked holding her soft hand. He wasn't sure why, but all he knows is he likes holding hands with her.

Chaeyoung sat on one of the benches, leaning abit, looking at the stars. He was disappointed when the she let go of his hands, patting the space beside her. He joined her and looked at where she was pointing at.

"I like stars. They are so beautiful from afar, yet mysterious and dangerous." She said in a tone he has never heard her use before. It never crossed his mind that he was the type to appreciate things like this. He then realized, he barely knew her. And like the stars, she was not only beautiful but also mysterious. And probably dangerous.

"I feel like, most beautiful, attractive things are dangerous, trecherous. Like storms, and hot melting stars" She continued, still looking at the stars.

"Yeah." He agreed, but he was looking at her. Trying to figure out what else has he misjudged her. He heard her humming slowly.

"What's that?" He asked. She moved and looked at Chanyeol with a grin.

"I just remembered a song." 

He shot her a puzzled look and turned his body to face her, crossing his long legs on the bench, "Sing to me young one."

"Starry, starry night, Paint you palette blue and gray." She ended her short singing with an embarassed chuckle, burying her face in her palms again. Eventho it was very short, he could tell she has a sweet singing voice, the type you'll end up listening to on rainy and snowy days, warming you up without a fire. The type that he would die for to listen at night as a lullaby before he sleeps.

"Yah~ You can sing~" He teased, poking her sides. She laughed and shrugged, a cocky smile forming on her lips, "I'm fabulous i know."

Chanyeol grunted in annoyance and rolled his eyes. But she could tell he was slightly smiling. For awhile they sat, facing each other, saying nothing, just looking at each other. A gust of wind blew, making a few strands of hair sticking to her lips. Chanyeol's lips formed a small smileas he leaned towards her, pushing the strands away from her lips. She felt butterflies when his finger touched her lips for a split second, she hasn't got butterflies for a very very long time.

"So you really like stars?" Chanyeol said observing her manicure, pink and gold stars over baby blue nail polish. He held her hand and brought it closer to his face, observing it closely. But really, he just wanted to touch her hand again.

Her eyes sparked with proudness as she grinned, "Clara did it. She improved a lot."

Chanyeol chuckled looking at her expression, this was one of his favourite expression of hers, that happy glint in her eyes as she talk about her cousins.

"Right. She likes stars too." He said remembering all of her star themed items.

She shrugged, "It's more of a habit for her. Her late sister's item used to be marked with crescent moons, her's with stars."

Chanyeol nodded, half-listening. He was getting lost in her dark brown eyes. Clara's are darker of course, her's was almost black. Chaeyoung's eyes was an ordinary shade of brown at first sight, but as he observed it, he realized her eye colour was not in a perfect circle. It was almost like a kindergaten kid accidentally coloured outside of the lines in a colouring book. To him it made her even more interesting that how she appears to be. 

"I don't want to know her story. How about you? Why do you like stars?" He said unconciously. He was thinking out loud.

Chaeyoung was a little surprised he no longer cares about his first love, kinda glad he finally moved on. She pressed her lips into a smile, "I used to want to be an astrologist. And I'm attracted to beautiful stuff that is unreachable."

The longer they conversed, Chanyeol started to realize, he liked listening to her talk. 


"Chocolate or Vanilla?" Chanyeol asked, grinning.

"Okay 1,2,3" Chaeyoung counted.

"Chocolate!"

"chococococo" They answered at the same time laughing. She hushed him and tried to hold in her laughter. They could definitely wake some light sleeper up with their loud laughs at this time of the night where it's extra quiet.

Still trying to hold in his laugh, he continued to ask the next question, "Hm, guitar or piano? 1..2..3"

"guitar"

"guitar"  And they continued to laugh silently, their hands over their  respective lips trying to not make any noise. It has been the fifth time they answered the same thing.

"Why guitar?" He asked looking at her. She shrugged , a thin smile forming on her lips. 

"So both you and Ara play the guitar ?" He questioned.

She nodded and added, "I play other instruments too, i just spend more time playing the guitar." 

"Because it's your first instrument?" He guessed blindly. She chuckled and shook her head.

"My first was the piano." 

Chanyeol's mouth formed an o as he nodded silently. She laughed and poked his cheeks, telling him he looks like a fish.

"But the guitar was the first ever instrument i was willing to learn." She explained. After that, there was an awkward silence, it's not that they don't have anything to say, instead they have too much to say, they couldn't say it.

"Thank you." Chanyeol broke the ice with a smile as he opened the gate.  She looked at him with a puzzled look.

"For healing me or whatever." He said with a grin. 

She shrugged with a cocky smile and flipped her hair, "I'm an expert." 

He rolled his eyes, but his grin was still there. They got into the house and exchanged smiles. For a few seconds they just stood in the hallway, in front of the stairs, looking at each other wordlessly. 

She was the first to look away with a small sigh, "Yeah goodnight yeol-da." She half-whispered as she went upstairs. He nodded and watched her walk up before sighing as he mumbled, "What is this." 

He went up to his room quietly, wanting to get the last 4 hours of sleep before the sun rises. 

Of course he doesn't see the shorter guy who was in the kitchen for a drink. He stood there in the dark, finishing his glass of water silently. He went up the stairs with a spark of anger and discomfort in his eyes. 

"I knew it." He mumbled as he entered his room.


It was 5 in the morning, Chaeyoung could use more sleep but was woken up by her scratchy throat, asking for water. 

She didn't bother to comb her messy hair and ended up covering her head with her blanket, knowing that the guys have early schedules.

She sneaked out of the room, careful not to wake the younger girl and went down the stairs, half asleep. Lucky for her, most of the guys were either still asleep or getting ready in their respective rooms.

"Good morning, Chaeyoungie." Xiumin greeted her from the living room as she reached the lowest floor. 

"Oh, good morning." She replied with a sleepy grin. Xiumin chuckled before continuing to scroll through his phone.

She entered the dining room where Chen and her older cousin was sitting at the table with a bowl of cereal each. 

"Good morning." She greeted them with the same sleepy smile.

"Mowning chwae." Jongdae replied, mouthful of cereal.

"Hello sleepy head! You're up early!" Joonmyeon greeted brightly. Chaeyoung told him she needed a glass of water before proceeding to walk to the kitchen.

She poured herself a glass of water and drank it, "Ahhh" She exclaimed pouring another glass of water.

She was in the middle of chugging down her second glass of water when someone called out her name, causing her to choke on water and coughing like hell.

"Late night yesterday ay?" She turned towards the voice, still drinking water to stop herself from coughing. 

D.O was sitting on one of the counters with a smirk. Chaeyoung shot him a weird look as he jumped off the counter and walked towards her. He offered her a plate of sandwiches.

"Thanks." She mumbled taking a bite into one of the perfectly crusted sandwiches. D.O nodded silently and stared at her. 

"What?" She asked, wondering if it was that weird to see someone wrapped in a blanket like burrito eating a sandwich.   

He shrugged and smiled his famous heart shaped smile, "Nothing. Just.."

His tone turned into a serious one, "I would like to remind you, you're suppose to help Chanyeol move on. Not break his heart when you leave." 

He was no longer smiling and looked at her like he wanted to eat her. For someone who never caught off guard, she was dazed and had no idea what to say.

He realized her change of expression and cleared his throat, patting her back, "You may not know it, or act like you don't know it. But I can see it. "

He paused and smiled a small sympathetic smile at her, "No matter what happens, one of you will end up hurting in the end." 

Chaeyoung looked as D.O turned around and walked away to the dining room, leaving her alone in the kitchen.

She continued to eat her sandwich quietly and thought about what D.O said. She snapped out of her thoughts and washed her glass. 

"What exactly can you see, Do Kyungsoo?" She mumbled, frowning, not able to make any sense what D.O said to her.


Hello; 

School's pretty hectic huhu

tumblr_inline_nmstcwvIy31ss58ou_500.gif

Do you understand what kyungsoo is trying to point out?

tumblr_n5o5clSKTy1rug1iro3_r1_400.gif

Wth am i going to do with this Chan-young situation 

tumblr_inline_ntd2h6RrKt1ruvz88_500.gif

xx ileun

160107

p/s : comment, subscribe, upvote ;u; talk to me let's be friends <3