48 – A Game of Chess

Playful Secrets and Surprises
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

A figure sat still on the luxurious carpeted floor of their bedchambers; eyes locked on the massive screen set up against the wall. ‘We were too late!’ The figure, revealed to be Sunny, thought to herself, ‘They were way ahead before us! I cannot believe we’ve been outsmarted.’

 

Just as she was about to turn her gaze away from the screen, her phone rang. Sunny knew who it was at the other end of the line.

 

“Soonkyu?” Her grandfather’s voice reverberated through the line.

 

“Yes, Gramps?” Sunny replied with a hint of trepidation in her voice.

 

“Did you see the news?”

 

“I did. I’m watching the television now. It’s on the 9 o’clock news.”

 

“We were too late.” Her grandfather said, resign evident in his voice, but there was that calmness about him, which made Sunny feel that he had some things up his sleeves. Her grandfather, after all, was one of the brilliant minds behind HQ. “But we’re not quite behind. The agent, whose mission you somehow intervened into, had an additional report. She had stolen some schematics from that blown up ship. That was just a start.”

 

“A start?”

 

“Yes, like an opening on a game of chess. Like just moving a pawn, making an opening but also advancing an offensive.”

 

“Gramps, you know it’s been a while since I’ve played chess.”

 

“But you have a knack for games, Soonkyu. For tomorrow, I do not want you heading straight to HQ office. Instead, I want to send you somewhere else to do something else. Let the others deal with the paperwork for that ‘accident’ at the pier.”

 

“I’m all ears, Gramps.” Sunny said, her tone getting serious as she focuses her attention into her grandfather’s instructions. She grabbed a nearby paper and pen to write down the details. She will need to memorize them before sleeping and destroy that paper before she would set out on her mission for the day.

 

+++

 

 

The Jung Empire Head Office

 

The staff at the esteemed business conglomerate scrambled early in the morning. They had received a late email last night, informing them of a change in one of their important meetings at lunch time. There have been changes in some people attending that meeting and the staff assigned to facilitate its preparations were just more than surprised to note two Jungs gracing the meeting.

 

Had it been Jessica and Krystal, things would have been easier for them as the Jung heiress knew the meeting’s agenda and intimate details while the youngest Jung had a knack for pre-reading report summaries prior to the actual conference. But the other Jung they were going to have for this discussion was someone they barely knew as he had been away from the Korean radar for years.

 

The staff knew nothing about the Jung Yunho before. They will have to fill him in on more details about the meeting and the agenda. So, a lot of them were working against time, re-encoding reports and making them more detailed for the eldest Jung to catch up to when he showed up for the official discussions.

 

Whispers of Krystal Jung echoed through the hall as the employees busied themselves with the start of the day, arranging files, continuing yesterday’s efforts of running the business. “I heard Young Mistress Krystal would be heading today’s lunch conference on the new project.” One of the secretaries whispered to her colleague.

 

“It was a last-minute call in from Young Mistress Jessica, I’ve been told.” One of the members from the accounting department answered back as she focused on printing out the file for the awaiting secretary. “I wonder what the project would be. Only a few departments were allowed in on them. We’re only in-charge of the finances.”

 

“Oh, I heard it had something to do with the Jes.Ti.Na. launch, of which Young Mistress Krystal is going to be the brand ambassador.” One of the passing assistant control officers mentioned as they took a sip of their coffee. “The brand’s launch had been postponed, but I suspect they are going to push through it with a new head. Young Mistress Jessica is unable to attend due to health reasons, but she has sent her younger sister to manage it with their eldest brother’s guidance. I do not know much after that though.”

 

“Everyone! The meeting is in a few more hours, please make sure everything is in place!” One of the managers barged into the room before running out to address other pressing matters.

 

Another person, one of people from the concierge ran along the hallway, “Manager-nim! Young Mistress Krystal is already in the lobby!”

 

“What?!”

 

“This early?!”

 

“Yes!” The person panted as he tried to catch his breath.

 

The manager immediately headed for the elevators, leaving the poor guy to catch up to him.

 

Everyone who overhead them froze for a moment, before they all scrambled to get things done before the youngest member of the Jung family heads into the still-empty conference hall where the meeting was to take

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter