11 – Messy Situations

Playful Secrets and Surprises
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Everyone from the viewing room headed downstairs to congratulate the winner. Both players removed their face masks as they remained in their positions. A triumphant smirk came on Jessica’s face. Taeyeon just let out a sigh in defeat. He had been hit right at the center of his chest while his shot hit the wall behind Jessica with a splat. It was a good thing that both players wore thick armor to repel the heavy impact of the bullet so that none of them would feel the stinging pain that came with being hit. 

“You win, Jung…” said Taeyeon as he held his hands up in defeat before putting them down as he sadly turned away and headed towards the exit with his head hung low. Jessica dropped her stuff before following Taeyeon’s retreating shadow towards the exit. 

Everyone was waiting for them outside the arena. Yuri placed his hand on his cousin’s shoulder as he met Taeyeon’s sad eyes. “Hey, bro…” Yuri muttered with empathy. 

Taeyeon shrugged off his cousin’s hand from his shoulder as he turned towards the changing room. “Kwon…I’ll get you for this…” Taeyeon replied without turning towards his cousin. His voice was cold and scary. 

Yuri knew he was going to be in for trouble but he knew Taeyeon would forgive him eventually. He turned his sights to the unlikely winner of the competition which was none other than his girlfriend’s cousin, Jung Jessica. Yoona and Tiffany were flooding her with hugs and kisses while the parents just watched on with amusement. Mr. Kim suddenly patted Yuri’s back which surprised the younger man. 

“You and Yoona did well, son. I wish you two the best!” Mr. Kim praised as he patted his nephew’s back. Yuri smiled in return before thanking his uncle. 

Jessica gave her dongsaeng cousin a headlock before pinching the taller girl’s cheek. “YAH! Look at what trouble you have put me through, Im Yoona!” Jessica bellowed as she held her struggling cousin in her grip. 

“Unnie…I’m sorry…I’m really sorry…But hey…You won…So it shouldn’t matter…” Yoona apologized as she tried to free herself from her unnie’s grasp. “Yah! Kwon Yul! Help me!” 

Yuri came to his girlfriend’s rescue as he pried the young Jung’s hands away from his girlfriend. “And you!” Jessica pointed at Yuri with all the coldness in her tone. “You’re the evil mastermind in all this…I’ll have your head in a platter, Kwon!” 

Yuri swallowed a lump in his throat as he saw Jessica exit the chamber and head towards the dressing room in a way that a sergeant would do. Tiffany just observed the event with much amusement until Yoona’s and Yuri’s eyes fell on her. 

“Fany-ah…You’ve got to help us pacify Jessica…She’s really dead serious when she said she’ll have my head.” Yuri begged the second eldest cousin of his girlfriend.

“I can’t do anything about that, Yul…” Tiffany shrugged.

“Oh, I just called Taeyeon’s butler and he should have Taeyeon’s belongings settled inside Jessica’s room in record time. I bet they are on their way here to fix up Jessica’s room...If that’s okay with you, Mrs. Jung….” Mrs. Kim announced, interrupting the younger adults from their banter. Mrs. Kim had just slipped her phone in her pocket as she turned to her best friend who happened to be Jessica’s mother. 

“It’s totally fine and I’ll even scare little Jessi into making her fiancé comfortable…” Mrs. Jung winked. 

“Then, how about we prepare for dinner at one of the finest hotels here?” Mr. Jung suggested.

“I guess we’ll settle for the usual place, right Jung?” Mr. Kim smiled at his best friend. 

“Of course, Kim. Where else would that be?” Mr. Jung mused with a pleasant smile on his face. 

“Then, we could all head to Taeyeon’s club afterwards and enjoy the drinks just like old times.” Mrs. Kim added with a giggle as Mrs. Jung nodded and laughed along. 

The three young adults watching them gave each other an incredulous look as they tried to understand the personalities of Taeyeon’s and Jessica’s parents. 

“Yuri…Your uncle and aunt is kind of weird…” Yoona whispered to her boyfriend who just chuckled at her in reply. 

“They’re just reliving their younger days. They are actually fun to be with…” Yuri mused as he held Yoona close to him. 

“So, does that mean we get to party more?” Tiffany perked up as she eyed her cousin and Yuri with excitement clearly drawn into her eyes. 

Yuri nodded with certainty as he gave her a smile. Tiffany gave away her eye smile in return before the three of them chuckled at their uncles and aunts who seemed to have come back to their youthful days. 
 

 

***

 

Taeyeon was about to exit one of the changing rooms when he met Jessica at the door. The blonde had already changed to her usual outfit of shirt and shorts much to Taeyeon’s surprise. He felt awkward towards the blonde as they both stopped in their tracks looking uncomfortable of each other’s presence. 

“Kim Taeyeon…May I have a word with you?” Jessica suddenly asked making Taeyeon flinch in surprise at the unexpected attention that his fiancée had given him. 

“Uh…Sure…” Taeyeon replied unsure of whether he had made the right choice of allowing a private conversation with the blonde. They both stared at each other for awhile uncertain of what to say to one another until the Jung heiress finally mustered the words she wished to say. 

“So uhm… I guess we can’t do anything about the matter of us being engaged, right?” Jessica began as she eyed the Kim heir before her. 

“We really have no choice.” Taeyeon’s short answer came out soft. 

“And you lost your privilege of living in your own house for a year…” Jessica bluntly stated the fact. Taeyeon only shrugged at the matter as his eyes met the blonde’s hazel orbs. 

“It was all thanks to Yuri and your cousin…”

“What do you propose to do with them then?”

“I can’t think of anything as of now, Jung…” 

“Well, I have an idea…”

Taeyeon’s eyes glistened at Jessica’s response. He realized how cunning and smart the blonde was after spending the entire day with her. Without the blonde’s knowledge, Taeyeon had been eyeing her secretly. He had been trying to understand her movements and behaviors every time the blonde graces his presence. As of now, Taeyeon still found her mysterious. He was utterly intimidated by Jessica. 

“Don’t tell me it involves me as well…” Taeyeon replied as he turned his sights elsewhere in the room.

“Have you ever kissed someone, Kim?” Jessica suddenly asked surprising the Kim heir at the unusual question being asked in an untimely moment. 

“We, players, are not normal ones, Jung. We break people’s hearts without breaking our own. Once you get to kiss someone on the lips, then, you are committed to that person…At that moment, you will have offered your heart to that person. That’s how players like us value ourselves over others…” Taeyeon replied.

“So, you haven’t kissed anyone as well.” Jessica concluded before retorting, “I haven’t found a true player like me until now. I guess we’re pretty much on the same page, Kim. True players value something in themselves so that when they find the right person for them, they can freely give their lover that thing which they had not given to the hearts that they have broken.”

“Then, what’s with the sudden question, Jung?” Taeyeon managed to ask. 

“I want to do something to my cousin and your cousin…It’s for revenge of course…For what they both did to us…” Jessica replied, her eyes became intense as she gave Taeyeon a knowing look.

Taeyeon’s eyes widened upon the realization, “Are you crazy, Jung?! No! I will not kiss your cousin. Even though Yoona has done something wrong, she’s still like my dongsaeng. I treat her the same way I treat my younger sister…”

“Then, I’ll just have Yuri to myself then…even if I have to let go of something I valued…” Jessica’s voice came out a little lower upon ending her sentence. 

Taeyeon sighed. The blonde was really good at having things her way and he has no choice. ‘I just hope you won’t break Yoona’s heart, Jung…’ Taeyeon thought to himself as he and the blonde plotted their little revenge on the celebrity couple. 
 

 

***

 

Yuri and Yoona stiffly sat next to Tiffany on the couch. They were back in the living room with the four older adults chatting amongst themselves while waiting for the newly engaged couple to appear. Tiffany felt two pairs of eyes staring at her while she lounged with her cousin and her cousin’s boyfriend. 

Unable to bear the eyes gawking at her, she finally snapped, “Yah! What are you two staring at? Am I an animal at the zoo or something?” 

Instead of an immediate response, Tiffany saw a pout forming on Yoona and Yuri’s lips. Tiffany could have sworn that the couple looked like twins with their matched expression. 

“Unnie…” Yoona in her aegyo-filled voice began. “Please don’t let Jessica-unnie hurt me…I was just trying to play a prank on her…” 

Tiffany gave her a what-the-heck-is-wrong-with-you-look. Yuri just chuckled at Tiffany when he saw the grave face that she bore. “No seriously, Fany-ah. Taeyeon holds grudges on people who play pranks on him and Jessica is just bent on revenge once someone did something to her…I know you can attest to that about your cousin…” Yuri said. 

“Oh…You’re kind of right about that…” Tiffany mused remembering what Jessica did to her when she caked her on the blonde’s birthday. Tiffany had suffered having to eat the whole cake for the week when Jessica refused to give her anything else to eat until she finishes the remainder of the large cake which she had bought for the blonde. She had lived with Jessica for so long that they were really considered sisters along with Jessica’s true younger sister, Krystal. 

“Unnie…please…” Yoona pouted. 

“No…I can’t help you with that, Yoong and Yul…I don’t want to be in the middle of the line of fire…You have chosen to mess with them so you better be prepared for what they have in store for you…” Tiffany’s resolve was firm. She was not meddling with trouble and her purpose is not to anger her beloved cousin who’s probably plotting something for their younger cousin at this time. 

Just as Yuri was about to make his retort, Jessica stepped into the room in her usual clothes. She caught the older adults’ attention as she strutted her way towards the couch where her cousins and Yuri were seated. Yoona scooted closer to Yuri as soon as her eyes caught Jessica’s glare directed her way. 

“Ah, Jessica…We’re all heading out for dinner…Are you just going to go out with those clothes, dear?” Mrs. Jung mused catching her daughter’s attention. The blonde turned and smiled at her mother. 

“I’m fine in these clothes, Mom… Unless you have another activity scheduled for all of us…I might reconsider changing my outfit…” Jessica replied as she sat between Tiffany and Yoona. For fear that something might happen to her should she come near her older cousin, Yoona created enough space between her and Jessica on the couch. 

“We’re going to Club Gen after our dinner at the hotel, darling.” Mrs. Jung replied. 

“Oh…It’s fine, Mom. But could you excuse me in advance for being late at the club? I have some important matters to settle at our company’s office…” Jessica said as she made herself comfortable on the couch. 

“You sure are busy, darling. I think you’re really fit to run the combined companies of the Kim and Jung Empires.” Mrs. Kim complimented her future daughter-in-law. “By the way, where is Taeyeon?” 

“Oh, he’s just stopping by the kitchen to drink water…He’ll be here soon, Umma…” Jessica responded. 

Mrs. Kim was pleased that Jessica had seemed to have gotten accustomed to calling her ‘Umma’. “You seem to be getting along well with Taeyeon, darling. I’m glad you did. We’ll go out for dinner when Taeyeon comes.” Mrs. Kim mused. 

Jessica just gave her a smile in response. Then, she turned to her dongsaeng with an amused expression. Yoona noticed it and fear crept up her spine as she tried to fake a smile of innocence towards her unnie whom she knew was just putting up a façade. “What’s wrong, Yoong?” Jessica questioned as she read past the mask that the young actress had put up. 

“Uh…Nothing…Nothing’s wrong, unnie…” Yoona replied. Tiffany noticed Jessica’s relaxed composure. It seemed that nothing had changed from the blonde even though she knew that she would be ending her bachelorette days soon. Tiffany had wanted to see past the walls that Jessica had built. She knew full well that Jessica loved keeping things to herself unless Tiffany would break down her walls and force the older girl to talk to her. 

Taeyeon walked in a few moments later and the family had left the Jung heiress’ house in a 2011 Chrysler 300 black stretch limo which the Jung parents had called over from their mansion. Purple neon lights and cozy luxury couches made everyone comfortable in their seats. The parents sat at the back seat of the car facing the front while the young adults lined the side couch. 

The car ride was a cozy one until they reached the hotel where the Jung and Kim parents usually conducted their private dinner affairs much to the ignorance of their children. It was only then that the thought of the engagement plans being laid out inside the huge edifice had crossed Taeyeon’s mind.

‘So this is where they planned the arranged marriage between me and Jessica…’ Taeyeon thought as he frowned at the five-star hotel. 
 

 

***

 

Everyone sat at the long dining table situated at the rooftop of the hotel owned by one of the most prominent families in South Korea. The view of the city loomed over them as they ate their dinner course in peace. 

“Tiff, I was planning on going for a vacation in France sometime in the year…” Jessica said as she turned to the brunette sitting next to her. Taeyeon, who was sitting to his fiancée’s left, listened as the girls chatted in a casual manner. He literally fell out of place in the group since Yuri was seated far from him. 

“Does that imply that I’m coming with you?” Tiffany’s voice seemed bubblier than ever. 

“That’s a yes, Tiff…I mean, we’re like sisters remember? Besides, we could stop by at England to see my evil little sister, Krystal.” Jessica chuckled as she mentioned her dongsaeng’s name.

“You’re really fond of Krystal, aren’t you? Your silly remarks really reveal your love for your sister…” Tiffany pointed out as she directed an eye smile towards her blonde cousin.

Taeyeon could not bear having his presence ignored by others. He shifted uneasily on his seat as he ate the food on his plate in a slow steady manner. Jessica noticed the discomfort that her fiancé was displaying and she sensed that she should at least thank the man for supporting her with the ‘little revenge’ on the celebrity couple. 

“You all right, Kim?” Jessica asked in a rather hushed tone in hopes that the older adults won’t notice the interaction and result to having themselves endure the teasing. 

“Yeah…I’m fine…” came Taeyeon’s short reply. A small smile appeared on the blonde’s lips. She was beginning to overcome the awkwardness that had come between her and her fiancé. 

“Loosen up…” Jessica whispered in a voice that only Taeyeon could hear. Tiffany, who had tuned into the couple’s secret interaction, giggled at Jessica’s guarded behavior. The couple turned their attention towards her with twin-like expressions of confusion. 

“I think you should be the one to loosen up, Jessi… Taeyeon’s calmly eating dinner while you barely even touched your food and you seemed to be more wary of your surroundings which is so not like you…” the brunette pointed out causing Taeyeon to let out a light chuckle making Jessica nudge him softly. Taeyeon let out a soft groan as a result. 

“I just didn’t have the appetite to eat, Tiff…I’m not really hungry. I’m just plain tired of the games that those two pranksters had set up…” Jessica ended her last words with a slight hiss as she eyed the celebrity couple who were too busy in their own world. 

Tiffany pouted before giving Jessica a cute rebuttal, “Aww…Want to sleep so soon, little Jessi?”

The Hwang cousin pinched the blonde’s cheeks causing the other girl to pout. “Aish, I’m not a baby!” Jessica huffed as she tried to release her cheeks from her cousin.

“Oh yes, you are. Right, Taeng-oppa?” Tiffany said as she directed an eye smile towards the man beside her cousin. 

“Yeah… She does look like a baby…” Taeyeon nodded and chuckled as he eyed the blonde beside her with an amused expression. 

“Yah!” Jessica summoned her piercing glare towards Taeyeon. “I thought you were supposed to be on my side…” 

“But it’s true…You do look like a baby…” Taeyeon pointed out. 

“Look who’s talking…” Jessica scoffed. 

Tiffany giggled knowing what Jessica had meant. 

“What?” Taeyeon asked with a confused look on his face. 

“You do look like an elementary school kid rather than a Hallyu star.” Tiffany mused. 

“Well, I’m tall enough to be considered a kid…” Taeyeon rebutted. 

“So, you three have gotten along quite well…” Mr. Jung pointed out all of a sudden. The three young adults turned to the man seated from across the table. The four older adults were staring at them all along. A tint of pink surfaced across Jessica’s face. She lowered her head and took a sip of wine to hide her embarrassment. Tiffany just chuckled at the elder Jung’s remark while Taeyeon just gave the adults a sheepish grin.

The dinner continued on with soothing conversations and light laughter as the family sat under the clear moonlight on one of the famous restaurants that boast of their views on the rooftop of a prestigious hotel. 
 

 

***

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter