23 – Baby Steps

Playful Secrets and Surprises
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Hyoyeon woke up to the sound of fist tapping wooden door. She groaned as she hid beneath the covers. She had wanted to sleep more since her journey was quite tiring, but the knocks persisted.

Sighing, she groggily got up from bed and marched toward the door. She abruptly and forcefully swung the door open, a reprimand at the tip of her tongue, when her eyes registered an all too familiar startled expression coming from someone she knew so well.

Hyoyeon was in for a surprise.

“Whoa, you almost killed me when you suddenly swung the door open.” The tall young man said.

The blonde Kim’s eyes widened. The reality had slapped her wide awake, but she had been paralyzed by shock.

“Sooyoung…” Was the only word that escaped her lips.

Sooyoung sheepishly smiled at her, rubbing the awkwardness of their early morning encounter from the back of his head. “It’s been a while, Hyo.”
 

***


The week of rendezvous had arrived and Jessica was riding her black BMW motorbike towards a hidden location directed by her GPS. Clad in all black, her face covered ninja-style with a pair of wired shades that packed a multi-vision mode, the blonde agent made her way to an alley where her partner awaited. Her black, sleek backpack, where her HQ customized clothes were packed, hung snugly on her back. 

Despite the skills and training she had as an agent, Jessica never let her guard down. There were too many dangers lurking with every turn of these labyrinthine passages, but with this uncertainty came the surety that the place would be less populated and HQ meet-ups between agents often frequented these parts.

It’s on one of these places that Jessica had been discovered and had been offered the opportunity to work for HQ. Spotting a black Hyundai Sonata blocking the alleyway, Jessica, who revealed herself as Agent Purple, parked her motorbike and alighted from the two-wheeled vehicle, leaving her helmet on the handle.

Agent Black was leaning on the side of his car, waiting for her. Jessica checked her GPS to clarify her position and the identity of the agent before her. She held up her HQ badge to her fellow agent, who responded with the same action before motioning for her to get in the car.

Jessica noticed the similar sleek pack at the car’s backseat apparently belonging to the other agent. She tossed her own pack at the back before setting herself beside her fellow agent, who sat at the wheel.

Both agents were clad with the same protective apparel, complete with modified yet stylish bulletproof suits under the guise of a black jacket and masks specially designed to protect their identities, and their lives. Code White’s modified androgynous voice greeted them through the speakers as soon as they settled inside the tainted black car.

“Greetings, Agents Black and Purple. You have been assigned this special mission of retrieving important data from the northern border of South Korea. I have sent a GPS guide for you to follow. The target facility is heavily guarded. We need you to slip in and out with minimal disturbance. You have a week to finish the mission. The best of luck to the both of you. Code White, over and out.”

The built-in computer roared to life and a map revealed the location of the target. Jessica eyed her companion, who apparently was a man, judging from the well-toned muscles threatening to burst from his tight suit.

“The facility is a laboratory owned by a non-profit organization. There have been reports about suspicious movements done within the lab. I have gathered some Intel about them from a previous mission.” Said Agent Black in a modified voice made possible by the mask.

“Any ideas on how we get through their tight security?” Jessica asked as their car eased out of its hiding place, blending well with Seoul’s common vehicles.

“Someone needs to hack on their computer’s security system and manipulate their alarms and CCTVs. To do that, one of us needs to sneak into the control room while the other one will have to look for the data that we needed to retrieve.” Replied Agent Black as he shifted gears, further accelerating the car.

“So, what are you good at?”

“Sneaking in and out. I can retrieve the information while you can man the control room.”

“All right then.”
 

***


Taeyeon’s Mansion

They both ate in silence. Hyoyeon could feel the tangible awkwardness between them, but she somehow missed the man’s cooking. Sooyoung, despite his huge appetite, is also excellent in coming up with gourmet food. The steak that her palate had greatly missed after being away from home and from him for so long was a testament to that.

“So,” Sooyoung began, trying to ease the uncomfortable atmosphere around them, “How have you been?”

Hyoyeon momentarily looked up from her plate to catch a glance of the young man seated across the table. Dark brown eyes met hers. “I’m fine. How about you?”

“Well, I’ve been busy lately…”

The blonde Kim realized that her ex-boyfriend was trying to keep the conversation alive. She somehow got a hint that Sooyoung was trying to reconnect with her once again, despite the fact that she left him hanging a few years back.

“Your brother was a handful, Hyo, just like his sister.” Sooyoung chuckled in an attempt to help the blonde lighten up.

Hyoyeon smiled. She missed him and she felt sorry for leaving him. She felt guilty for running away and allowing her heart to open up to someone else other than him. Then, she found herself back in Seoul and now seated before him, eating the delicious brunch he cooked just for her.

“You and your silly jokes, Soo.” Hyoyeon said, the warm smile still etched on her lips. “You haven’t changed a bit.”

Their eyes met. Sooyoung found himself getting infected by her smile. ‘I can do this,’ he thought, ‘I can get her back.’

“You don’t seem to have changed as well, Hyo.” Sooyoung retorted, “I missed you.”

The last line struck a chord in the Kim’s heart. She saw the longing he still had for her. Sooyoung still loves her after all these years and after all the things she had done to hurt him. Her heart squeezed from her chest. The feelings she had long buried after her departure from her homeland had come back from the grave. She now wonders if this would work out again and if this will not end up like it had in the past.

Should she run away and return to him or should she stay and melt in Sooyoung’s welcoming embrace?

Hyoyeon awakened from her reverie when Sooyoung’s voice fished her out of her trance, “Hyo, I was asking, where would you like to go today?”

“Ah, how about we go shopping? I need a change of wardrobe.” Hyoyeon replied.

“Okay, you should get ready then. I’ll take care of the dishes.” Sooyoung said as they both finished their brunch.

“Thank you, Soo.” Hyoyeon said as they both got up to gather the dishes only to have their hands settling on one of the plates, their hands touching.

A tinge of pink began to creep onto the Kim’s cheeks as the familiar feeling came back to her. She pulled her hand away, allowing for the Choi to take care of the plate. They both got to the sink and Sooyoung told her to go ahead and prepare herself for the day while he carried on with the dishes.

A sudden kiss landed on his cheek much to his surprise. Hyoyeon shyly pulled away, settling her soles back on the floor. “Thanks for accompanying me, Soo.”

Sooyoung blushed at the gesture. He was happy with his choice. He’s finally met Hyoyeon after their untimely break-up and lack of contact. Now, things seem to be turning for the better.
 

***


“Okay, that’s a wrap everyone.” The director said as he clapped his hands and motioned for everyone to pack up.

Yoona was discussing something with her manager when the director tapped her on the shoulder. The Im turned to see him with a pleased expression.

“Great job, Actress Im! As expected of you.” The director patted her back before he moved on. Yoona graciously thanked him for his compliment before returning to her conversation with her manager.

“So, what’s my next schedule, oppa?” Yoona said as she eyed her phone and tapped through the schedules loaded on the gadget.

“You have a photo shoot.” Her manager smiled, “I think you’re excited about it…”

Yoona’s eyes lit up upon seeing the name of her boyfriend pop up from the schedule. “Oh, so I’m having a shoot with Yuri?!”

Her manager chuckled at the girl’s enthusiasm. “Yeah. Now, come on. You wouldn’t want to be late, would you?”

The actress hastily grabbed her bag and ran after her manager.

“I have no more schedules after the shoot, right?” Yoona suddenly asked as she got into the van.

“No. You can call it a day after your shoot with Mr. Kwon.” Her manager replied as he took over the wheel.

“Great!”

“So, where will I drop you after this? Or will you be spending time with Mr. Kwon, instead?” Her manager teased.

Yoona chuckled, “Yul still has a scheduled meeting over at his cousin’s company. As one of the shareholders, he needs to actively involve himself with the Kim Empire aside from his role in his family’s company.”

“Wow, your boyfriend sure is hardworking. I wonder though, how come you barely participate in the Jung Empire’s activities? I rarely get tips from the company to have you involved in their ventures.”

“Jessica-unnie doesn’t want me to add another burden to my killer schedules, oppa. She always insists that I keep myself away from the Jung’s headquarters every time I asked to help out. I do visit her during my free time.” Yoona smiled at remembering a random incident with her older cousin, “There was this one time where I rushed into the middle of her board meeting and she scolded me for ruining her momentum and for not coming in good shape…. I was sick at that time.”

Yoona chuckled at the memory, “She told me not to set foot in the building when I’m having my schedules, but I always sneak in to check on her, anyways.”

The Im’s manager laughed, “The young mistress really cares for you, huh.”

“She does, although she really at taking care of herself.”

“Oh, we’re here.” Her manager placed the car to park. “Do I need to pick you up after this shoot, or will you go ahead with Mr. Kwon?”

“No need, manager-oppa. Yul will just drop me off to my destination along the way to his meeting.” Yoona gave him a smile as she alighted from the van and headed to the studio.

She greeted the staff and noticed that Yuri had already dressed up for the shoot, or rather, undressed for the pictorial. Yoona’s eyes took in her boyfriend’s well-built physique. Her sight trailed from his strong legs to his black shorts and up to his chiseled abs and chest until her eyes met his deep brown orbs.

“Yuri!” Yoona lunged herself at the man, who warmly received her embrace.

“Yoong, you’re here.” Yuri chuckled as he brushed her hair and pecked her forehead, careful that his actions might distract majority of the staff, who were casting furtive glances at them.

“How long have you been waiting?” Yoona asked as they mutually pulled away.

“I had just gotten ready. I think you should go ahead and prepare for the shoot, too.” Yuri winked at her before he gently led her to the dressing room. Yoona smiled as she turned to the rack of bikinis lined up for her to choose while Yuri discussed some things with their director on set.

A few minutes had passed and Yoona came to the set in a stunning pink bikini, her curves emphasized and her well-toned abs exposed for everyone to admire. Even Yuri, who had gotten used to seeing her, found his mouth agape and his face flustered at his girlfriend’s y frame.

His trance was broken by the director’s voice, “All right everyone, in your positions. Let’s get this photo shoot done in the shortest time possible.”

Both the Kwon and the Im took their stance before the blaring lights and the cameras. They stood together, Yuri holding Yoona’s waist while his girlfriend found her hands touching his bare chest. The huge fan made their hair flutter, creating a dazzling effect as the camera clicked.

A few more shots had been taken with the couple in various standing poses; some with happy expressions where Yuri and Yoona were both smiling, their faces bright and inviting, while others were a bit editorial, their gazes turning sultry like the summer sun. Their chemistry proved to be great as both the young actress and the supermodel were comfortable in trying out innovative expressions and poses, delighting the staff during the process of the shoot.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter