20 – Surprisingly Unsurprising

Playful Secrets and Surprises
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Taeyeon stood up from his chair much to the bewilderment of the people seated with him. Yuri, too, was surprised at the newcomer. He didn’t expect her to be there of all places. His worst fears were to come true should the person now being approached by his cousin learn of Taeyeon and Jessica’s engagement. Yuri also feared that two hearts will be broken today and neither would it be Taeyeon’s nor Jessica’s.

The supermodel then eyed the young man who resumed chatting with Jessica. At some point, Yuri envied Donghae for Jessica saw him as a boyfriend and not a mere brother. But he shrugged his thoughts off after telling himself that he’s in no position to hold such title for the blonde. Besides, he already has an amazing girlfriend.

“Oh my gosh.” Tiffany bellowed in realization at the newcomer that Taeyeon had approached at the door. “Lee Sunny!”

Without a word, Tiffany excitedly got up and walked past Taeyeon, much to the latter’s surprise, and hugged the living daylights out of the short blonde young woman.

Not one soul at the table noticed the hurt expression on Jessica’s face. Yoona’s startled look came and went unnoticed.

“Yah, Hwang Stephanie! You’re suffocating me!” Sunny pretended to break free from the doctor’s tight embrace. Taeyeon stood there midstride to watch the two young ladies’ interactions. He realized that he was in deeper trouble than he had ever been.

‘Oh no. Tiffany knowing Sunny makes this more complicated than it already is…’ Taeyeon thought.

Tiffany had finally let go of her friend. “Sunny, I didn’t know you’ve come home from the States. You should’ve called me!”

Sunny just smiled at her bubbly friend before replying. “I had been sent here to meet my uncle on important matters, Fany. Sorry, I hadn’t called in a while. I was busy with resignation papers and important documents.”

Taeyeon and Tiffany’s eyes widened.

“You resigned from your company?!” Taeyeon and Tiffany chorused which got the Hwang looking at Taeyeon in astonishment.

Sunny sheepishly nodded. “I did because I was offered a position at my uncle’s company. I’m now a manager.” The blonde flashed her pearly whites at the two surprised individuals.

“So… you gave up your position at Intel just to join the entertainment industry?” Tiffany asked.

“Uhuh. Besides, I get to work here in Seoul.”

“So…” Taeyeon managed to blurt out after an episode of being speechless. “You’re going to be manager, huh?”

“What?” Tiffany asked, surprised at the new information.

“Yeah. I’m going to manage the new duo unit that will be comprised of KTY and a new artist.” Sunny beamed a knowing smile. “We’re going to be together again, TaeTae.”

“Taeyeon, you know Sunny?” Tiffany asked the young man out of curiosity.

“Yea-“

“Taeyeon’s the player boyfriend I’ve been telling you about, Fany-ah.” Sunny interrupted Taeyeon’s response much to the shock of the doctor and the people seated at the table nearby.

Jessica almost choked while eating her pizza. Seohyun’s eyes darted towards the petite young woman who revealed the surprising news. Yoona and Yuri could only stare at each other knowingly. They were having eye conversations about the two players.

‘Yuri… They really are players, aren’t they? It’s my first time seeing my unnie and Taeyeon-oppa with one of the people they’re playing with…’ Yoona conveyed through her eyes.

‘I know, Yoong… It’s quite unsettling with all the things those two are doing…’ Yuri gave his girlfriend a knowing stare.

‘I can’t wait to get away from here. I don’t want to be involved in all this, Yul…’ Yoona held her boyfriend’s hand beneath the table.

‘Just hang in there a bit, Yoong…’ Yuri squeezed her hand in reassurance. 

Tiffany ran a few fingers over her hair before she spoke up. “Err… So, you were talking about Taeyeon all along while we were bunking together in the States…”

“Yeah. And I won’t be surprised if he’s with another girlfriend right now.” Sunny raised a brow at the young man who looked away to avoid her questioning stare. “I’m hoping it isn’t you, Fany…”

Tiffany only smiled regaining her uneasy composure from the shock. “No, Sunny. So, you here for lunch?”

The Hwang tried to veer the topic away so that she won’t have to reveal anything more to her close friend. Besides, no one has to learn about Jessica and Taeyeon’s engagement yet so for now, Tiffany will shut on the matter. She didn’t want either Jessica or Sunny to get hurt. Well, Tiffany’s priority is protecting her blonde cousin, whom she’s secretly in love with.

Jessica, on the other hand, thought she saw the short blonde woman somewhere. ‘She kind of looks like Agent Yellow…’

‘Nah, perhaps not.’ She shrugged off the thought of Sunny being some agent she had met on a previous mission.

Sunny nodded. “I’m just dropping by to get pizza and then head off to my new office at the company my uncle runs. I’ll be eating lunch there.”

“Oh… It’s nice to meet you again, dear.” Tiffany smiled her eyes forming crescents.

Taeyeon only gave his girlfriend a knowing smile before speaking, “Want me to accompany you to the counter?”

Sunny’s eyes lit up. “Sure, TaeTae.”

Tiffany stared at the couple walking over to the counter. She sighed before going back to her seat. Everything seemed to be normal when she sat down at the table or so she felt since she didn’t catch the envy in Jessica’s eyes. When Tiffany took a glance over at her blonde cousin, Jessica shifted her eyes towards Donghae while the rest at the table were almost done with their meal.

“Uhm… I’m done. Unnies, oppas… I’ll take my leave now. Thank you for the meal, Jessica-unnie.” Seohyun managed to say as she bowed and stood up to leave without allowing anyone to hold her back. Jessica tried to stop her but Seohyun gave her a knowing look.

‘I have other business to attend to, unnie. You know that.’ Seohyun’s eyes conveyed to the blonde.

Jessica simply nodded. Yoona silently watched as Seohyun’s back disappeared behind the door. A sad look came upon her face to which Yuri had somehow noticed. The supermodel resolved to have a heart to heart talk with his girlfriend later.

Back at the counter, Taeyeon and Sunny were having a conversation of their own.

“How are you, Sunshine?” Taeyeon asked as he tried to keep his anxiety in check.

Sunny stared at him and smiled, “I’m fine, Taeng. How are you doing? I’ve seen the reports about you on TV. You seem to have been dating a lot recently…”

Her tone sounded as if she was used to it but she never did. Sunny never got used to being a part of Taeyeon’s harem of girlfriends but she knew she held a special place in Taeyeon’s heart. She just knew because they’ve had memorable moments together although the intimacy was on a low.

“I’m fine… Well, kind of…” Taeyeon sheepishly answered as he scratched the back of his neck and ran a hand through his hair.

The conversation was interrupted when the tenant of the restaurant asked them to order. Sunny placed her order before they resumed the talk.

“You seem to be stressed…” Sunny pointed out.

“I am, Sunshine. A lot of things have been happening to me lately and I just… needed some space to think…” Taeyeon admitted.

A hand made its way to his own, much to his surprise. “Taeng… If you need anything, I’m always here for you… Just don’t get into trouble, okay?”

Taeyeon felt relieved. He gave his girlfriend a smile before he leaned forward startling the short blonde girl. A pair of lips landed on Sunny’s cheek before he abruptly pulled away. Sunny stared wide eyed as she touched the place where his lips had landed. A deep blush appeared on her face.

Taeyeon found it too cute for words. “You’re blushing.”

“Ei, you didn’t have to point it out.” Sunny sheepishly said as she gave him a playful slap.

“I seldom kiss people… Oh and thanks for those sweet words, by the way.” Taeyeon smiled.

The couple was oblivious to the pair of eyes secretly observing them. Jealousy was brewing from the observer as Taeyeon escorted Sunny out of the restaurant towards her parked car.

When Taeyeon had returned he found the atmosphere a little more awkward than before. It was as if an Ice Age had chanced upon Yuri, Yoona, Tiffany, Donghae, and Jessica. He also noticed that Seohyun’s seat had been left vacant.

“Did Seohyun leave already?” Taeyeon asked no one in particular as he tried to ignore the cold atmosphere t

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter