47 – Stress and Struggle

Playful Secrets and Surprises
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

The ship was gearing towards the dock as they prepared to disembark. The plan seemed to be moving smoothly and would be carried out in no time. The captain of the ship felt sweat bead his forehead as he watched his men work on deck.

 

“Are we clear to port?” The captain asked over the radio.

 

“Yes, captain. Everything’s good and ready to go.”

 

“All right.” The captain pressed a button, turning on the speaker for all the sailors to hear. “All hands below deck. We’re bringing the ship to port!” He watched as his crew shuffled into shelter before he nodded to his first mate to steer the ship. ‘This is going to be a perfect day for a perfect storm.’ He thought as he began implementing their group’s plans.

 

It wasn’t long before they were able to disembark at the pier, leaving the ship to rest for a few days… or a few hours. Once the crew have cleared the area, the captain fumbled with something in his pocket. He felt the button that would cause havoc as he made his way outside the pier’s premises. He was able to make it to his car and drive out into the nearby road before he managed to press the button.

 

The bomb inside the hull blew up, sending shrapnel, fire, and smoke across the ship’s compartments. Outside, the porters were unprepared for the damage. Some were within the range of the bombing and were sent a few meters away with the force and the shrapnel.

 

Shouts rang across the shipyard as everyone scrambled to either safety or to respond to the catastrophe.

 

+++

 

“We interrupt this program to bring you some breaking news…”

 

Soo and his twin sister shifted their gazes onto the flat screen. Hyoyeon stopped in her tracks; she was on her way out of the hospital room when the news erupted.

 

“A bombing?!” Summer said, alarmed, “How could that happen?”

 

Sooyoung shrugged, still processing the details of the news. Then, he remembered that their elder brother was going to pick them up in a few minutes. “We’ll try to listen into the news later. Siwon-hyung’s going to pick us up at the entrance in a few minutes. We cannot keep him waiting.”

 

Outside the hospital’s lobby, Siwon’s SUV was waiting for them. The eldest Choi brother helped Sooyoung into the vehicle while Summer facilitated putting their luggage in the car’s trunk with Hyoyeon’s help.

 

“Hyung,” Sooyoung called his brother as soon as he got into the front passenger seat.

 

Siwon turned to him as he settled in front of the wheel, “Yes?”

 

“Can we turn on the news?”

 

“I was just listening to it while I was driving here. Was it about the ship explosion?”

 

“Yes.”

 

Without anymore words, Siwon tuned into the news channel. The little screens at the back of the car lit up, showing the latest local news. Hyoyeon and Summer settled at the back seats of the car just in time to take in the most important details.

 

“Eight casualties, 15 injured. And the company who owned it did not know what happened. Police are investigating too.” Hyoyeon relayed, “Whoa, I just hope this is just an accident.”

 

“It doesn’t look like it though.” Siwon pointed out as he started driving, “Ships don’t just explode on their own. I have a feeling that things will be more difficult from now on. We all have to be extra careful from now on. Especially you, Sooyoung.”

 

“What? Why me?” Sooyoung pointed to himself, wondering.

 

“You are directly involved with the Kims, especially Taeyeon. The business industry was turned upside down with the Kims and the Jungs announcing the merge of their family empires. We think that caused a stir somewhere.” Siwon replied, “And Hyo, please don’t take this the wrong way. I am just watching out for Soo.”

 

Kim Hyoyeon just leaned back in her seat, “I’m not offended at all, Siwon-oppa. I understand where you’re coming from. What our families decided had stirred something among our enemies.”

 

“Let us leave it to the authorities to investigate on those matters. For now, Sooyoung must rest and recover.” Summer said.

 

“As much as I would want to rest, I do not think this all just involved the Jungs and the Kims…” Sooyoung said as an afterthought, only to receive silence as everyone else in the car were locked in their own thoughts.

 

+++

 

Kim Taeyeon’s Mansion

 

“Taeyeon?”

 

“Kim Taeyeon?”

 

Kwon Yuri called out into the vast expanse of Taeyeon’s living room. No one was there, but it was not long before footsteps approached from the other hallway. Jean, the Young Master’s liveried Caucasian butler, stepped forth into the large welcome area.

 

“Oh, Young Master Yuri! Good evening!” Jean greeted as he bowed low before the Kim’s cousin, “We did not expect you to visit. I will have someone prepare you something. Have you had dinner now?”

 

“Is Taeyeon around though? I think if you would prepare dinner, it would be best if we ate together.”

 

“Ah, yes. He and Young Mistress Jessica are upstairs taking a nap. You may meet them if you wish and I will ring you once dinner’s ready.”

 

“Thank you, Jean. I’ll be heading upstairs.”

 

“You are always welcome, Young Master.” The man bowed before he excused himself to perform his duties.

 

Yuri smiled at him before he headed for the flight of stairs leading to the bedroom quarters. He automatically headed for Taeyeon’s bedroom at the end of the hallway, passing by the different portraits lining the walls. He stopped in front of his cousin’s room and like usual, did not bother knocking, his hand turning the knob without thought.

 

“Taeng,” Yuri said as he opened the door and stepped past the threshold, “Kim Tae-”

 

Kim Taeyeon was indeed in bed, fast asleep. Yuri found his jaw dropping at the person Taeyeon was comfortably sleeping with, though. Kim Taeyeon was half , his upper torso barely visible beneath the comforter but a hand was wrapped around him, a body cuddled next to him, covered by the thick blanket.

 

Taeyeon stirred when he heard his name. Jessica, who was snuggled beside him, also opened her eyes to see their visitor at the door.

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter