44 – In Strides: May they be hurried or not.

Playful Secrets and Surprises
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

“Gramps?”

 

“Soonkyu-ah, do you need anything?”

 

“I found some very disturbing information.”

 

“Hold on. Let me get into a more private location.”

 

A door closed.

 

“There. What is it that you wanted to tell me about?”

 

“HQ is infiltrated and there are some people planning on bombing the city.”

 

“Ah, that Intel was handed to me a few hours ago.”

 

“W-Wait, it was?”

 

“Yes, child. As much as I am retired, I still keep tabs on the organization. It seems that you crossed another agent’s investigation. They were gathering Intel as well and your presence somehow compromised their work. They sent in the report through my trusted subordinate.”

 

Sunny frowned as her eyes met Tiffany’s on their way to the young doctor’s flat. “So, that means… Gramps, is there something you’re not telling me right now?”

 

“Soonkyu, I am well aware of the spies within HQ. You have to be more careful from now on and don’t drag Hwang’s granddaughter with you on risky missions. That child is busy enough to be bothered since she came back from States. She was not profiled as an agent when she came here to Korea, so best keep her out of missions unless HQ summons her so, or I approve of it.”

 

Sunny’s eyes bulged upon hearing her grandfather’s words. ‘How could he know? Unless –’ Eyes landed on her holstered gun. She took out the handgun given to her by her old man and examined its handle. Tiffany eyed her for a short while before refocusing her gaze on the street as she manned the wheel.

 

Sunny’s frown deepened when she noticed the small chip embedded on her gun’s handle, too small for the unpracticed eyes to notice. It was a tracker and Sunny later on realized that there must be a tracker stuck in Tiffany’s person, too.

 

“Lee Soonkyu? Are you still there?”

 

Sunny was pulled out from her realizations at her grandfather’s voice. “Still here, Gramps.”

 

“Be careful.”

 

“I will.”

 

“Promise me, child.”

 

“I promise.”

 

And with a click, her grandfather ended the call. Sunny felt like banging her head on the dashboard for risking too much only to come up short on her investigations. The fact that her grandfather had sent in another agent ahead of her was enough to tell her that she was still a few steps behind in terms of predicting their unknown enemy’s plans. It unsettled her as she thought of their close shave with death on the ship.

 

+++

 

“The plane is landing in a few moments, for transit and refueling, please fasten your seatbelts.”

 

Yunho turned from the window, eyes landing on his companion seated across the aisle from him. They were on a private jet, on the way to their home country. The young man he faced was sipping his glass of red wine, before he met Yunho’s gaze.

 

“You seem so calm for someone who’s going to be facing his baby sister’s wrath.” Jaejoong pointed out, amusement dancing in his eyes.

 

“And you seem too relaxed after knowing that your younger brother got into a car accident.” Yunho retorted.

 

“Heard from our sister that he’s fine. And he’s on the way back to his house to rest.”

 

“Accompanied by my sister?”

 

“Accompanied by your sister.”

 

“Can you tell your brother to handle her?”

 

Jaejoong scoffed, “You’re still afraid of her despite Sooyeon being very much younger than you.”

 

“She controls most of my assets in Korea. And not to mention she kicked my one time.”

 

Jaejoong laughed at his friend’s remark, “You’re such a loser. I just wonder how she could have forgotten about her playmate though. I mean, she and Taeyeon used to be close friends when they were kids.”

 

“It must’ve been because of the accident, Jae.”

 

“What accident?”

 

“You probably didn’t know but back when we all stayed in the States, my sister got into a severe car accident. She had been in a coma for days, but she managed to recover except for some childhood memories. She has some setbacks from her previous ordeal, like how she dazes more often than one should.”

 

“Is she all right now? I mean, I’ve met her on business meetings and she seems so fine that she doesn’t look like someone suffering from amnesia at all.”

 

“It’s not amnesia, but there are certain gaps in her childhood memories,” Yunho revealed, “it is probably why she cannot remember your younger brother.”

 

“Taeyeon doesn’t remember much about his childhood as well, given that we were all so busy with our chosen endeavors that some memories of the past just seem to fade away.” Jaejoong grew pensive as he reminisced the time when he and his siblings were freely running through their vast courtyards and racing through their summer estate without a care to the world. “Right now, it’s like I’m looking at another lifetime.”

 

Yunho chuckled, “You’re being sentimental right now.” He raised a glass of claret, “How about we toast to our reality and drink to the future?”

 

“That sounds about a good idea, my friend.” Jaejoong smiled, the clinking of glasses reverberated throughout the cabin.

 

The plane began to descend and the two men grew quiet throughout the rest of the trip, both lost in their thoughts as they anticipated their return to their family and their homeland.

 

+++

 

Everyone was tired. The ride to Taeyeon’s mansion had been spent in silence as Tae Hee’s car eased into Taeyeon’s estate. Everyone was sitting in the back of the grand SUV, lost in their own thoughts as they watched the scenery pass by. It was dark outside.

 

“We’re here, Ms. Kim.” The chauffeur announced as he stopped at the driveway.

 

“Thank you, Jonathan. I’ll be right back.” Tae Hee said before she opened the door and slid out of the vehicle. Krystal, Jessica, and Taeyeon followed after her as they strolled up the courtyard and onto the grand porch of Taeyeon’s mansion.

 

“Unnie,” Krystal broke the silence that befell them, “Would it be all right if I stay the night here as well? I’m kind of tired and you might want to rest for the night. I don’t want to impose on you too.”

 

“Hmm, that’d be a good idea, Soojung. I guess you can share the room with your sister. I believe Taengoo here has a spare for you, which you can use.”

 

“I do.” Taeyeon replied, “It’s close to my room.”  

 

“Well then, I guess I wouldn’t take long.” Tae Hee concluded as she bid her farewells with a hug for each of the three before descending the porch and slipping back into her car.

 

Taeyeon quietly ushered the Jung sisters into his manse where an aged Caucasian liveried butler greeted them. He took their overcoats and tucked the clothes into a nearby armoire before attending to the young man.

 

“Master Taeyeon, would you wish for some refreshments before you retire for the night?”

 

Taeyeon shook his head with a polite smile, “I’m fine, Jean.” He turned to the two young ladies, “How about you? Would you like some drinks?”

 

“I’d like some Cabernet Sauvignon to be brought up to the spare room that my sister and I will be occupying.” Jessica answered as she held her sister by the hand.

 

The butler turned to the youngest Jung, “And you, Mademoiselle?”

 

“I assume you’re French?” Krystal mused instead, after studying Taeyeon’s aged butler.

 

“Oui, Mademoiselle.” He smiled as he bowed.

 

“Ah, nice to meet you.” Krystal said, “I’d like to have two glasses of water to be brought up to our room. Thank you.”

 

He bowed before excusing himself from the presence of his master and the guests to accomplish his tasks while Taeyeon led the two young ladies up a winding staircase to the second floor. The hallways were decorated with paintings and family pictures, as well as some pictures of Taeyeon and his siblings when they were little. There were some, much to the Jung sisters’ surprise, taken with the Jung family. Jessica stood in front of one small portrait hanging on the wall, wondering how on earth she could not remember taking a picture with a younger Taeyeon.

 

“Tell me that wasn’t me…” Jessica whispered to her sister, eyes not tearing away from her younger self leaning close to a younger Taeyeon.

 

Krystal was also as surprised when she saw the portrait.

 

“Something wrong?” Taeyeon asked when he realized the two sisters had stopped following him. He strode closer to them and eyed the huge photo encased in polished cedar frame. “Ah, that’s a photo with an old friend. I was so young back then that I couldn’t remember much of my time with her.” He recounted, oblivious to Jessica’s reaction.

 

“It’s me.” Jessica replied in an almost inaudible voice.

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter