Strangers

Childhood Sweetheart

 

 

             "Appa, I have to talk to you about something." You walked to your dad, lifelessly. You thought that this is the time where you should tell him everything. The Bang Yongguk that you met. You had lots of thoughts happening in your mind right now and you had exactly no choice but to let it all out to him.

             "What's wrong?" He asked. "D-Do you still remember Yongguk?"

             "Yongguk? Ah, the twins! How can I not forget them?" He exclaimed. You gulped, nobody forgot the Bang family but they did forgot about your family.

             "There's this new kid in my class that I'm suppose to tutor him. He's name is Bang Yongguk too. Is it him?" I asked.

             "Who knows. If it's not him, then too bad." Your father said coolly.

             Sometimes, talking to your dad doesn't solve anything. That was because he wasn't able to understand you like the way your mother does which can be understandable at times. You know it's hard for him to handle everything on his own now but if he really doesn't understand your situation, then it's his own loss.


             "Hana, have you started on doing the tutoring lessons with Yongguk?" Ms Jung called you.

             "We're starting today." You said.

             You were quite looking forward to the tutoring session right after school but a part of you felt uncomfortable with it. If he was your Bang Yongguk, why didn't he realise that you had been here this whole time?

             "I hope you are really able to teach him. I just meed him to pass his next test and that's all. I know you don't like this offer but you're the only student I can rely on." Ms Jung pleaded. You sighed and nodded. As much as you don't want to, you had to.

             On the other hand, Yongguk was still deep in his thoughts. Was it really the Kim Hana he once knew? He had this certain feeling inside his heart that it was you. But the name itself was not enough.

             The vivid memories were stuck inside his head as if it was yesterday. The small and petite girl that stole his heart before was still clear. The time that he had to go, leaving his chilhood love behind in a devastated state. He somehow felt guilty. Have you ever remembered and thought about him these whole time? He sighed.

             He was confused with his own thoughts. His feelings towards you had drifted away ever since. His attitude was not the same as the Bang Yongguk you've known a long time ago. Anxiety grew over him when it was almost time for his tutor lessons.

             You turned, attempting to go out of the school entrance when Yongguk tapped your shoulders. "Where are we going for the tutoring lessons?" He asked.

             You took a moment, scrutinizing his whole flawless face. No pimples, no scars, no pores either. He looked rather handsome when you were looking up close. You snapped from your thoughts, "My house." You saw his face grew into a uncomfortable posture.

             "Don't worry, I'm not going to do anything stupid." You took off, walking to your house. The whole journey to your house was rather awkward and quiet.

             Is he really the guy? You thought about it again. You took the key and put it inside the keyhole, opening the doorknob. You took your bag off and set it at the coffee table. Yongguk did the same as you invited him to sit down.

             The rest of the hour, the both of you were tutoring each other. It turns out that Yongguk was a nice guy but somehow, he has this really fierce and edgy exterior which reminded you of your real childhood sweetheart.

             "By any chance, have we met each other since we were little?" You suddenly blurted out. You just needed to know if he was the old Bang Yongguk. You doubt it but you wanted to give it a shot. Yongguk's heart froze when you suddenly asked him the question.

             He avoided your gaze, "I don't think so." Your face fell and you shrugged. You tried to hold on your threatening tears, not wanting him to see how weak you were. It's not him, he said. It hurted you, listening to those words coming out from his mouth because you knew he was lying. He avoided your gaze and he didn't want to admit it.

             He was it. The Bang Yongguk that you met 10 years ago. He was your childhood sweetheart but yet, he didn't want to admit it.

            "And how am I suppose to find this again?" 

            "Just find the solution of x. If you've found x, you'll get the answer and you'll able to get the graph." You taught him.

            You've been laying your eyes on this gentleman ever since you were assigned to tutor him. You knew he was the one but why didn't he admit that he known you before? Does he even remembers you?

             Maybe he really did forgot about you. He forgot about all the promises that you did with him. He forgot that you were his first love. Guess people do change. Then you thought of it, he had already got over you ever since. No calls, no nothing were received. That really pained you so much knowing that the person you once knew was now just a stranger to you.

             Over the past few days, Yongguk would not even talk to you or lay his eyes on you. That was definitely strange. In school, he acts like you were a total stranger to him. It made you sick to the stomach when you would witness the smooches that the couple would exchange right in front of you. What was he thinking?

             He knew you were there and yet he carried on with it. Your anger boiled inside of you, yet you held it in. He was just a stupid guy that changed ever since he left you. 

             Anxiety and joyness filled over you when the class boomed with claps as Yongguk finally passed his tests. You felt happy for him that he finally had succeeded in something more meaningful. But, not a single thanks came out from his mouth to you. 

             It seemed like all your friendship bond together had loosen. You were just a normal girl that the would never notice even walking pass you. This was just absurd.

             The both of you were once really close together. When he left, everything drifted away. And now, the both of you were like strangers to each other and nothing really special or more than that. 

             But you know that you're not going to give up easily. You will get back the old Bang Yongguk, your childhood sweetheart that you once knew. If you can get him to remember all the past, he will definitely remember you. You may sound desperate but you wanted to take a shot.

            You can't let go of your dearest friends just like that. You can't let go of your first love which still has a place in your heart.