My Treat

Childhood Sweetheart

 

 

             You sipped the rich hot chocolate and heaved a satisfied moan. This was heaven. The richness of the chocolate filled inside your mouth as you swallowed it into your throat. You could ask for more but you didn't want to. Yongguk eyed you on the opposite side of the table as you let out another satisfied moan. You opened up your eyes and saw Yongguk looking at you in a very peculiar way.

             "What?" You asked.

             Yongguk didn't say anything as he tilted his head to one side and examined you one more time. You waved your hands in front of him, thinking he was just being delusional for a minute but he grabbed your wrist within a second and put it down on the table. You looked at your watch and realised that it's been a while spending time in the cafe.

             You stood up and took your camera, "I better go now before your girlfriend sees me hanging out wih you. Thanks for the drink anyways." You slung the camera onto your shoulder and showed a small smile to him.

             Yongguk's facial expression fell a little as you said those words. "Don't go, I bet she won't mind." Yongguk grabbed your wrist, trying to prevent you from going away.

             You looked back at his grip on your wrist and his face. He was pleading you not to go and you really had a soft spot for that. The way his eyes crinkled and his mouth slightly pouting, you gave up.

             "But won't she get angry? She'll probably be blowing up anytime if she sees me." You said. You really hated saying the word 'girlfriend' to him and the words just made you cringe. As much as you hated it, you had to accept the fact that he has a girlfriend now already.

             "I'm sure she won't mind. I'll make sure she won't beat you up." Yongguk flashed his gummy smile and the ends of his eyes crinkled, turning into moon-shaped ones. His gripped tightened on your wrist as he rubbed your palm a little, using his thumb. You sighed and nodded, taking a seat opposite of him.

             Yongguk smiled as he laid his eyes on you. He felt a sense of relieve washed over him everytime you would be there beside him. It was as if he was not lonely anymore and his world turned upside down. Everytime he sees your face within the crowd, he has this urge to move forward and call out your name or grab your wrist.

             Whenever you're there beside him, he would feel safe and this tingling feeling would come back. When Yongguk sees your smiling face or your scrunched up nose, he would smile too but not knowing why. It was all natural. Whatever single thing you do, it would be an essential happiness to Yongguk too and that was unusual for him.

             He had never felt the same way to any of the girls that he had make out or just flirt with. It was unusual but he sensed that he kind of liked and enjoy the feeling of it.

             "By any chance, have you been thinking of me?" Yongguk spoke up. Those words literally fell out from his mouth without planning. A part of him felt relieved that he was able to get those words out.  

             "W-What?" You stuttered, quite shocked by what he just asked.

             "Have you been thinking of me?" Yongguk asked again. You hesitated, shuffling your feet against each other, a habit that you had always inherited when you were anxious. You nodded slowly, trying to divert your attention away from him. A small smile tugged onto Yongguk's mouth.

             "You? I bet not..." You mumbled a little, not wanting Yongguk to hear what you just said. Yongguk's face fell a little when he heard the last part of sentence that you just said.

             It was true that he forgot about you ever since but he couldn't get himself to say it. He knew that it will only break your heart if he were to deny that he didn't even thought about you for a single second before.

             "Of course. I can't really forget about you." Yongguk said, trying to show a small smile.

             A wide grin was plastered onto your face. So, he really did thought about you. His genuine smile really made you believe what he just said.

             "Why did you transfer here?"

             "My parents had a hard time handling and fitting in, in Seoul. They thought it was better here and so we moved." Yongguk continued.


             You nodded, trying to get everything inside your head. You then jolted, when something came inside your head. You pulled out a strand of bracelet with beautiful colour combination from your bag.

             "Ah, here it's yours. I can't keep it forever and since you're here, might as well I give you back." You hand over the bracelet that Yongguk once gave you before he left.

             You had never left your house without that bracelet and it just gave you the feeling that Yongguk was always there beside you. But now, you guessed it was time to give him back since it belonged to him originally. You may seem like a psycho or a stalker, always thinking of Yongguk but he had made a really big impact in your life that you can't even forget about him a single bit.

             He was like your other half, completely understand what you've been going through and he never fails to cheer you up or even comfort you in any way that's possible. He was there when you needed him, not the kind that would only console you but he really understood what you have been through and would stay wih you for as long as you need him.

             Yongguk was never the kind that can console people or make them happy again but his presence just made you feel better about it. When he opens his mouth and speak, you were easily mesmerized by his genuine words which will always give you an inspiration to move on in life.

             He was the kind of person that would be able to let people open up their hearts just by listening to his genuine words and his presence would make you feel wanted. He was your inspiration and whatever you do, you would feel connected to him. As you placed the bracelet on the table, Yongguk's eyes narrowed and his eyebrows furrowed. His expression then softened a little, remembering about the past.

             "You still have it?" Yongguk's voice became unaudible.

             You nodded, "It's like an inspiration to me. It gives me strength especially when I'm having a hard time in life. It's as if you were there beside me, cheering me on." You explained and laughed. "I know it sounds stupid, like I'm some kind of a freak and stuf-"

             "No, it's... great. It's not weird. Thank you for keeping it safely and at least I know that someone did remember about me." Yongguk flashed his sincere gummy smile again that made your heart race.


             "W-What? You don't think it's weird?" You stuttered, eyes widened.

             Yongguk let out a silly laugh and leaned in to ruffle your hair. "No silly. Honestly, I'm touched." You softened as he made his first move to ruffle your hair. You tugged a small smile and chuckled. Yongguk took a glance at his watch and sighed.

             "Sorry Hana, but I have to go." Yongguk gave an apologetic smile as he turned his head to the waitress. Both of them were exchanging glances as Yongguk nodded to her. Something's weird.

             "See you around. Thanks for staying, I appreciate it." Yongguk smiled and ruffled your hair again before leaving.

             You let out a satisfied sigh and smiled too. As you were about to leave, the waitress that Yongguk was exchanging glances earlier on came up to you.

             "Here you go." She handed you a plastic bag that contained a box of your favourite cake and a cup of your favourite drink. It was a beautiful and silky Oreo Cheesecake that came along with your favourite cup of Hot Chocolate.

             You furrowed your eyebrows, "I'm sorry but I didn't order anything." The waitress just smiled and shook her head politely as she pushed the plastic bag gently back to you.

             "It's suppose to be a secret but your friend wanted to surprise you with these. It's his treat and all of these are yours." She explained. Your eyebrows joint into a line, Yongguk did all these? You looked inside the plastic bag as there was a small note and a very nice, delicate handwriting.

             You immediately realised it was Yongguk's. 

 

'Thanks for staying with me. I had a great time with you, talking a bunch of stuffs together. Let's do this again next time (; 010 --- --- 

p.s. Call me if there's anything.'

 

             You smiled at the last part, how cheeky can this guy be. You bowed and thanked the waitress, making your way to the carnival as it was about to end. You took a few more pictures till it was time to meet Ms Jung.

             "I can say that I'm pretty impressed with what you've taken. You didn't let me down and I'll definitely recommend this to the principal. Here you go, you definitely deserve this reward. Thank you again." Ms Jung beamed and you bowed, pleased with what you had done.

             You beamed too and made your way back home. "Kim Hana." A familiar voice was heard as you turned around, only to find Junmi crossing her arms.

             "Have you seen Yongguk anywhere?" She eyed you up and down. You groaned, this was simply not just a  question. You shook your head. Junmi snickered and grimaced, clearly not amused with your answer.

             "You knew where he was don't you? C'mon, spill it before I do it for you." Junmi step forward as you looked up to her because of her heels.

             You weren't intimidated even a little bit by this Queenka. Doesn't mean she's the Queenka, you have to follow whatever she says and you have to be scared. You crossed your arms near your chest, annoyed.

             "Why don't you ask him yourself?" You snapped.

             Junmi raised a brow, not really liking your attitude. "I'm telling you, tell me now before I hurt you." You scoffed, this kind of threat will not make you be intimidated.

             It's actually funny because she's trying so hard to make you feel scared by her threats and it's not even working. Junmi was about to grab your arm when a familiar husky voice was heard, "Yah let's go. We're late." Yongguk was standing behind with his hands in his pocket.

             Junmi turned, a little shocked to see Yongguk standing there. "Oh baby, I was finding you. I thought of just asking her where you were."

             Yongguk lowered his gaze, "Cut the crap and let's just go. You're wasting your time on her, she doesn't deserve your attention. Now let's go." Yongguk growled.

             Junmi hide her little smug smirk and walked towards Yongguk. She tip toed a little to give him a peck on the cheek but Yongguk pushed away slightly, not wanting it. Both of them walked away together, hand in hand as yongguk looked back one more time in your direction, giving you a slight glance.