He Lost

Childhood Sweetheart

 

 

             You leaned yourself onto the white wall and looked into the mirror. Was this you? The floral and sequined white dress was drapped over your shoulders as it had a strapless one on the other side. You looked down as the cloth was perfectly drapped onto the floor. 

             "You ready?" Yongguk called out. You shook your head mentally.

             You took a brave step forward as the curtain opened, showing yourself to Yongguk. You gulped, you really hated the idea of annual dance because you'll have to be wearing such uncomfortable clothes like these. But Yongguk and Himchan insisted. Oh how you hated those two boys.

             Himchan who was looking at the shoes on the stands diverted his attention to you as his mouth widened open. His eyes were glued onto you like a glue. He gulped and shook his head again, making sure that he was not hallucinating. On the other hand, Yongguk too thought he was dreaming as he snapped his thoughts away from his phone.

             You didn't like the fact that the dress was showing your back a little. You never liked these types of dresses but this one unexpectedly gave you the comfortable feeling, something that you can really appreciate from wearing a dress. Both of the guys stared intensely at you as you started feeling uncomfortable.

             "Guess you guys don't like it. I'm gonna change!" You rushed into the changing room.

             Both of them turned to each other, still thinking they were hallucinating. But then, a small smirk tugged onto the end's of their mouth. they can't deny that they actually found oyu rather beautiful in that dress.

             You changed into your jumper and skinnies before going out. You looked back to the beautifully tailored dress and smiled. It was nice to be wearing these kinds of dresses but you never knew you will be able to pull them off like any hot girls. As you went out, you saw Yongguk paying for the dress and shoes. 

              "What are you doing?" You questioned.

              "Paying these clothes for you." He answered calmly.

              You shook your head vigorously. You wouldn't want anyone to buy you such lavish clothes. Especially a very beautifully tailored dress. "No, I'm not going to the dance. Even if I do, I'm not going to wear it."

              Yongguk took out his credit card, giving it to the cashier as he let out a slow chuckle. "Are you saying I'm wasting my money now?" 

               "Yes you are. Ahjumma, please don't swipe that card yet. I'm not thinking of buying it." You stopped the cashier before she was even able to enter the credit card into the slot machine.

               Yongguk shook his head. "You're not thinking of buying it but I want to buy it. Now stop being so fussy and wait for me at the restaurant opposite the street. Himchan's waiting." 

               For once, you were speechless. You didn't know if you were suppose to answer him back but your legs suddenly carried you to the restaurant as you saw Himchan there. Himchan was waiting there and when he saw you, a small smile appeared at the end of his mouth. "Did you like the dress?"

               You nodded slowly. "But I don't want to buy it. Neither am I going to the dance."

               "Yah, I told you that you have to go! There's no turning back now since Yongguk forced you to. He really wants to see you in that dress." A hand then came to slap Himchan from the back of his head as he whinced.

               Yongguk took a seat beside Himchan as he squeezed in. "Either way, you'll have to go. I'm not taking no as an answer." 

               You grunted and slammed your head onto the table. You really don't want to go to the dance. Having two guys persuading you was a dead end. 

               "Here, take this. I paid for it." Yongguk gave you the dress coat. You grimaced and shook your head but he insisted.

               "Thanks but I'm not going to wear it. Neither am I going to the dance." You stood up, ready to leave.

               Himchan eyed you, "We had a deal! Aish, you're so fussy."

               "I'm going. Have fun at the dance." You waved.

               "Wear the dress well~" Yongguk cooed on before you were able to leave the restaurant as a small smile spread across his face.

                Himchan sighed, "She's not going to come."

                Yongguk smiled and shook his head. "Just wait, she'll come for sure. She will."

 

***

 

                 You stared at the dress on the bed. You sighed, your mind was still frazzled. You haven't decided on going to the dance or not. What's worse is that it's going to be tonight. You mind was complicated just like a tied wire. You shook your head, no you weren't going to go. But then you groaned.

                 You nodded to yourself, you'll go. But then you groaned again. Maybe you should go. For a change.

                 "You're so going to pay this Yongguk." You growled under your breath before getting ready for the dance later on. Hey, someone paid for you that designer's dress and you might as well make it something worth wearing.

                 You took a deep breath as you entered the school grounds. Great, you might be making the worst decision of your life but you knew you can't miss this especially if Yongguk's there. Hundreds of cars started filling into the entrance, dropping off students who had beautiful dresses and tuxedos on them. 

                  "Oh look, Hana's here." 

                  "What the hell is she coming here for? She hadn't been coming for the rest of the year so what changes her mind now?" Junmi growled.

                  "You came." Yongguk sounded. You turned, only to find yourself blushing under the cheeks. You nodded and sighed.

                  "Thanks for the dress. I like it." You turned slowly as Yongguk felt himself fluttering on the inside. 

                   Junmi scoffed, her heart boiling with anger. She knew exactly why you o would want to come. Everything is about Yongguk. She had to do something about this.

                  "Hana, you came!" Himchan squealed excitedly as he took you in his embrace, making you laughed.

                  Yongguk smiled too as he took himchan by the shoulder, "Take care of her. I have to do something." Himchan nodded and held out a thumbs up. "And you, enjoy yourself while it lasts. Meet me at the balcony around later." With that, Yongguk left.

                  For the rest of the night, you were glued to Himchan. You honestly liked it because Himchan made you feel comfortable. You would blush every single time your eyes would met with Yongguk. 

                  You had been admiring him from afar and you could say he looked rather dashing. Oh how you wished he was your date right now but Himchan was not bad after all. Yongguk was glued with Junmi for the rest of his time. Letting go of her for even a minute would make her go crazy. Sure as hell she doesn't want him to be meeting you.

                 "Good evening to all of you! We have a special announcement for now. Some of you might already know and agreed on making a segment for this year's 'Best Couple' in this annual dance. That's right, we had made it eligible and now, we would want to announce the winners."

                 "Congratulations Bang Yongguk and Hwang Junmi!" You weren't surprise. You were rather waiting for it to be announced.

                 The both of them walked up the stage proudly. Yongguk didn't look so hapy about it though. While Junmi flashed her dashing and white smile to the audience. Soon, the mic was placed onto Junmi's hands. She let out a small and short speech. Everyone started applauding and so were you.

                  "Thank you so much for those who had voted for us and showing all your love. As you all might know that Bang Yongguk had been my boyfriend for the rest of the year and I'm proud of it. I just want to make this clear that nobody is suppose to be near him." Junmi growled into the microphone as she made eye contact with you.

                  Yongguk sighed, he knew she would be saying this but there's no way he would be stopping her. "Yongguk, you remember the time I told you that I'll mess things up REALLY bad? Be prepared for it." Junmi whispered away from the mic.

                  "But I first want to tell all of you that Yongguk had actually made a bet about something. Or specifically... someone." Junmi said as Yonguk's face started to turn pale. Himchan too was dead in his tracks.

                  Soon, the speakers boomed with what was heard as a whisper and a conversation between to people.     "What did you do with her?" A voice said.

                  "Nothing much. We had fun together." Someone answered.

                  "You seemed happy to be around her." Someone said.

                  "Wae? Is that wrong?" A woman's scoff was heard from the background.

                  "I'm your girlfriend. Besides, remember the bet." She raised a brow and let out a devilish smirk.

                  "You don't have to remind me." The guy growled.

                   Bet? What bet? What is happening right now? The conversation continued on.

                  "Didn't you say you hated her? Yongguk, I'm your girlfriend and not her." 

                  "But still, she's my friend." The guy pleaded.

                  "Bang Yongguk, don't you remember the plan that you had? You had a bet with Himchan and you cannot break your promise now. You know what happens if you do break it right?"

                   You furrowed your eyebrows again. what does this has to do with Himchan? Himchan gulped, he wasn't prepared for this and neither was Yongguk. Yongguk stood rooted to the ground, not knowing what to do when Junmi snickered.

                   Junmi's eyes bore into you. "That's right everyone. Yongguk had actually made a perfect bet for this certain girl. The bet was easy. To make her fall in love with him. But when the time comes, he will dump her. Like a trash can."

                   "I'm pretty sure this girl had fallen in love with Yongguk but she's just stupid enough to realise that all of this is a bet. Meanwhile Yongguk was suppose to tell her as early as possible but he was scared. I told you not to mess with me, Bang Yongguk." 

                   Your eyes were stinging. Did you just heard what you thought you heard? This wasn't a dream. Reality hit you hard on the face as you realised that he had been faking almost on everything to you. You took your skinny legs out of the hall. You didn't care, you wanted to get out of here before anyone saw your disasterous state. How stupid were you to believe all of his sugar coated words?

                   "Hana, wait!" Yongguk called, making you stop in your tracks. "What she said was real but I didn't want to do it because I knew it will only hurt you! Besides, I knew what I did was wrong! I love you and I can't leave without you!"

                   You sniffed. "Stop with all of those sweet coated words already, Yongguk! I've had enough of your bulls!" Your red eyes bore into his. "I was stupid enough to think that you changed. I guess not." You walked away.

                   "No, wait! N-No.... I hadn't had the chance to confess properly." Yongguk fell to the ground, full of tears as the colourful friendship bracelet fall out of his grip. He cried his eyes out.

                    Junmi smirked, totally happy over her doings. "This doesn't change anything with our engagement, Yongguk. This is just the beginning of war."

                    You ran, taking your long and slender legs back home. You didn't care, you wanted to get away from him. From everything. You dashed across the streets as rain started to pour down. You plopped to the cold street, your dress dirtied with muds and dirts. You looked up as the rain started pouring heavily. The rain was as sad as you. It rained heavily, just like how your heart was crying now. You didn't care for how long you were staying in the rain, you couldn't move anymore. You were paralysed by your own thoughts.

                    The beautiful -tail blue shade of the sky was begining to darken into gravel-gray just like your torn heart. Everything seemed so dark now. You cried as the rain followed suit together with your cries. Yongguk sniffed as he walked himself out of the pouring rain. He didn't care if his tux was soaked, all he wanted was to find you. 

                    Find you. That was the only thing in his mind.

                    His eyes watered as the pouring rain cried together with him. His eyes were red, lost in his cries. The thunder growled, punishing him over his actions. What he did was wrong. How he broke a girl's heart. Not only ordinary girl but the love of his life. The one who he couldn't leave without. The one who would be able to make him smile wihtout any definite reason. the one who was able to make him feel better just by showing her showy smile and amazingly cute laughter.

                   She was no any ordinary woman herself. She was the one who made his mindset change. She was the one who made him change. She was the one who made him feel the need to protect her unlike him old self. 

                   He had to protect her form everything or anything.

                   But now, his chance was gone.

                   Gone into the thin air.

                   He tried to find her everywhere but nothing was there. Not even a single shadow was found. Oh how he hated himself. He find high and low, trying to figure out where she would be at because he knew she wouldn't be going home.

                   He lost it.

                   He lost her. 

                   He lost himself in his own silent cries and in the crying rain too.

                  He lost the other part of himself.