Talk

Childhood Sweetheart

 

 

             Beautiful silver light reflected upon the surface of the Earth lit up the blank sky. Tiny holes in the dark canvas twinkled agelessly to the small inhabitants of the planet below. Into this infinite night, Yongguk had his gaze down, pondering the unfathomable origins of the Universe while he stole a few glances to your side. The white crystal glistened in the soft breeze, as the echo of the wind swept the crisp landscape. You huddled yourself and took the sides of your coat in further. Yongguk stole another glance and shifted more to your side. It was not freezing but the atmosphere was definitely cold.

             "Cold?" Yongguk sounded.

             You sniffed your nose and shook your head, showing him a small smile. The coldness engulfed your whole bady, making you shivering completely but you sort of liked it. It's been a long time since you've been feeling this kind of atmosphere. Ever since your mother's passing, you never liked this kind of atmosphere.

              It was the kind of atmosphere that would make you cringe and huddle yourself to sleep. It was the kind of atmosphere that you experience the night of your mother's funeral. Everything just seemed so surreal and quiet, you hated that kind of atmosphere. But now, walking with Yongguk seemed so peaceful and it made you really enjoy it.

              "Here." Yongguk passed his outer olive trench coat and placed it on your shoulders. 

              You flinched a little, snapping away from your spazzing. You shook your head, making a move to give him his coat back. Instead, Yongguk pushed your hand gently and placed the coat on your shoulders again, buttoning up the front part. 

              "What about you?" You asked.

              "I'm fine, I have another jacket." He showed his jacket on the inside and placed his cold hands in his warm pockets.

               The both of you continued on walking aimlessly till you found the park itself. There was definitely a deafening silence as the both of you were walking without talking about anything but the silence wasn't as awkward as it would always have been. You listened to Yongguk's steady tempo breathing and the way he stole glances at you will only make your heart race.

               The only thing that you detest was how the darkness is starting to fill every single angle you go to. How the cold atmosphere and threatening darkness engulfed you. Somehow, you feel so small like before. You were never fond of this but you didn't want to look so weak in front of Yongguk. Instead, you swallowed all your worries inside of you and try to distract you from thinking about the dreading atmosphere.

                "Are you okay?" Yongguk questioned as the both of you took a seat on the bench, staring onto the river in front of you.

                 You looked up and nodded, faking a small smile. You fidgeted in your seat, really not liking about all this darkness. To people, they might think you're such a weird person, not liking the darkness and being afraid of it. But, they don't know what's the story behind it. Apart from that, you were also weak enough to tell Yongguk.

                 He might think the same thing, that you're such a scaredy cat. Furthermore, you haven't break the news to him about your mother's passing. Maybe he doesn't care, you thought.

                 When will you be able to tell him about your recent life and taking away all the burdens off you chest? When will you be able to be strong enough and trust him again, not to leave you hanging like before? 

                 Just like any other girls, lying was your only way. Nobody can eventually understand what you've been trhough. "I'm fine, I'm just cold."

                Oh boy, were you wrong. Yongguk's eyebrows turned into a straight line as he leaned in and tried to find your eyes. He shifted in his seat, sitting beside you much closer. 

                 "I've known you since little and you do know that you're bad at lying right?" Yongguk scanned your expression. "I told you I'll be there for you no matter what happens. Now I'm here, you have a shoulder to cry on." He continued.

                 You looked up, searching for a glint in his eyes. Your words were caught up as you saw Yongguk's eyes boring inside of yours. He was there for you. You felt like the whole scene was back when you were little, the times that Yongguk would console you and be there for you when you were sulking from the neighbourhood bullies.

                 "You remember the day that you came for dinner and you asked where was my mom?" You squeaked.

                 Yongguk thought about it for awhile and nodded. "You didn't answer that question."

                 "Sh-She's dead." You stuttered, trying to force back the tears.

                 Yongguk tilted his head, in confusion. Were you just playing around? Was this even true? Yongguk squinted his eyes as he saw a stray tear leaving from the brim of your eyes. Somehow, he felt hurt and sad too. Looking at you crying, it hurted him more than ever. Yongguk stood there, clearly dumbfounded and not knowing what he should do now.

                 You sat there, with your hands on your thighs. Tears fell one by one as you sniffed the away, hoping that Yongguk will not be seeing you cry but you didn't care for that now. You felt weak as you looked up at the river, everything was dark and it was as if, hopeless just like you.

                 Just two words made you break down and you just needed comfort, that's all. 2 years and this was the only time that you had break down in front of someone. You knew it would be hard but you didn't know that it would eventually hurt this bad. Those two words were easy enough to say but it stung your heart. 

                 As the darkness filled your surroundings, you started to feel small and unwanted again. Even more, you feel unprotected. Unknowingly, warm and huge arms grabbed your shoulders as you slammed onto a warm chest. The musky and misty scent of the cologne filled your nostrils as you flinched a little. You tried to break away from Yongguk's grip as it was just simply awkward and not a good thing for you to do so. 

                       "Stay, I'm here for you." Yongguk's low and delicate voice tickled your ears as his grip on your shoulders tightened. 

                 Yongguk rubbed and drew circles on your shoulders. You heaved a sigh and snuggled deeply into his chest as tears starts dripping more and more. Yongguk didn't even budge for a second. Instead, he pulled you closer to his embrace and leaned his head to the crown of your head.

                  The both of you stayed in the position for  who knows as long as you can remember. You never thought that Yongguk will eventually make you feel better just by his embrace. But, you liked it.

                  "Why didn't you tell me?" Yongguk's voice filled the thin air.

                  "I didn't want people to feel sorry about it." You squeaked, still leaning onto his chest. 

                   You didn't like it when people will be apologising for what happened on your mom. You just didn't want to be pitied and you hated that. It just makes everything worse. 

                   Yongguk's throat was caught by a rock. He didn't know how he was suppose to reply those words. But then, he felt even more sad and pitied you more. Looking at your distressed state, he really wanted to hold you and cradle you for as long as he can, just to make you stop crying and feel useless. He made a promise that he would always be there for you no matter what and he wouldn't want to break that promise now.

                   "You feeling better now?" 

                   "A little bit and it's all thanks to you." You squeaked again.

                   "But I didn't do anything." Yongguk's confusion was drawn.

                    You shook your head, "You did. You didn't let me go from the grip and it made me feel better. A hug was what I needed all these while."

                    Yongguk let out a small smile and stared into you. He wished he just had something to eventually make you feel much better. He knew that you would only feel better for a short span of time but the pain is still there.

                   "Hot chocolate?" Yongguk suggested, taking your wrist and pulling you with him to the nearest cafe.

                     A small smile was tugged to the end of your mouth. Just a small gesture form Yongguk would eventually make you feel better. Him just being there with you was more than you could ever ask for. You were glad that he was there for you, being able to listen to your problems just like old times.

                    "Yah, can you at least smile?" Yongguk whined.

                     You looked up from you hot chocolate and shrugged. You looked back at your cup and sighed, you felt so down. Yongguk pouted again, he really hated seeing you down but he at cheering people up and he really didn't know what he should be doing now. Whenever he see you being so down, he has this urge to go and hug you. 

                     "Like this." Yongguk bent his elbow on the table to reach for you cheeks.

                     He used his fore fingers to push your cheeks up, making it seem like you were smiling. Yongguk flashed his gummy smile, making you flinch and have butterflies in your stomach again upon the contact. Yongguk then rubbed your smooth cheeks and smiled again. You met your eyes with his and you laughed, looking at him being all pouty. 

                     "Why are you so chubby? Look, you're smiling!" Yongguk pinched your cheeks as hard as he can, mesmerized by your own chubby cheeks. 

                     "Ahhh, it hurts!" You smacked his arms as Yongguk leaned back, letting out a loud laughing, clearly satisfied over what he had just done.

                     Soon, the both of you were walking down the similar pathway back home. You looked up at the starry sky and sighed, you felt better now when you're with Yongguk. It as as if your worries were gone and his presence eventually made you feel much better. Only looking or him and feeling his presence beside you made you feel like old times and you personally liked it.

                    "It's nice, isn't it?" Yongguk called out as you nodded.

                    "Without the dark, we’d never see the stars. There also would be no use for the moon if there was never a night." He continued. You furrowed your eyebrows, what is he talking about?

                    Yongguk let out a low chuckle, "You're just like a starry night."

                    "What are you talking about?" You asked, furrowing your eyebrows again.

                    "Without you, I would never be able to be here. Without your support and never ending encouragements for me, I wouldn't be able to outshine just like before, being a rapper. It's the same, right? You're like a starry night. You don't really know that you shine better than others but they definitely see you as a star. At first sight it's just a small, tiny star but when you come closer, it really shines better. Like you." Yongguk turned to you.

                    Your heart started to flutter. The words that came out from his mouth was just making you cringe and your heart started doing flip flops.

                    You reached the front doorstep of your house as you turned, meeting Yongguk's eyes again. He smiled, making eye contact with you. 

                    "Thanks for everything. I guess I'll meet you soon?" You called out, attempting to turn the doorknob as Yongguk nodded.

                    You were about too turn the doorknob when Yongguk called out, "Hana." Yongguk grabbed your shoulders, making sure that you were facing him as he pulled you into a very tight embrace, not giving a chance of you letting go.

                    "I missed you so much." Yongguk mumbled under the strands of your hair.

                    You were dumbfounded. You didn't know what was happening, it was all so fast but you liked the feeling of it as Yongguk slid his hands near your waist. Your arms that were huddled to your sides travelled to Yongguk's waiast as you slid into them, sniffing his amazing scented cologne.

                     "I missed you too." You replied as Yongguk grabbed you tighter. You knew at this point that you really felt better. Yongguk really missed you from the bottom of his heart but he never had the courage to say it ever since his edgy exterior changed. Yongguk your hair, sniffing the scent of your shampoo and smiling to himself. He definitely liked the feeling of this, being able to be in your arms again and embracing you. It was just like childhood times.

                     The both of you broke free of the hug as Yongguk grabbed your hand, "I'll be here whenever you need me. Goodnight." He gave you a small peck on the forehead, rubbing your palm.

 

woah I wrote this for almost 2 hours and it paid off!

ERRMAHGWAD, MY GUKKIE FEELS I CAN'T TAKE ITTTT