Is It Him?

Childhood Sweetheart

 

 

             "Little missy, where do you think you're going?" A brunette middle aged lady came out from the kitchen, brushing her hands off the apron and meeting her eyes with her 5 year old daughter.

             "To meet Yongguk of course!" The petite little girl, who had her ponytails swinging back and forth chirped happily.

             "Yongguk? Hana, you should call him oppa since he's older than you." The brunette lady, your mom adviced.

             You scowled at her nagging, "Arraso. I'll be back soon, umma!" Your mom leaned in to kiss your forehead and went back to her busy self in the kitchen.

             You and Yongguk have known each other from the first day you guys were born. You didn't have any siblings which made you feel much more thrilled as soon as you got to know that the twins, Yongguk and Yongnam live not further than your house which makes it much more convenient to meet up.

             The twins were pretty much like your own brothers. They could be overprotective at times but still had that fluffy charm aside from their edgy looking exterior and that's what made you really charmed about them.


             "Hana!" A chubby looking slender little boy came running up to you as you were walking to the playground. Your eyes lit up as soon as you heard the chirpy voice, belonging to your one and only childhood sweetheart, Bang Yongguk.

             Yongguk was only a year older than you but you never bothered to call him 'oppa' since you thought it was awkward and just inconvenient for you to call him so.

             "Yongguk!" You called out and ran to him. The both of you then sat down on the soft sand, playing with it. Yongguk, who had his eyes laid on you, sighed. He's mind was frazzled and troubled with different thoughts. He didn't know how to break the news to you as he feared on your reaction.

             "Hana... I'm moving." You looked up and saw a devastated little boy, hanging his head down low.

             You only scoffed, "Don't joke around with me. In that case, I'll be moving too!" You giggled, thinking that what Yongguk said was apparently a joke.

             "No, it's true." Yongguk paused, as if there was a rock in his throat. "I'll be moving to Seoul."

              Your usual joyful self suddenly changed into a depressed one. Your heart broke into a million pieces when you heard the news. You wanted to cry and break down after listening to it. Yongguk saw your unusual state and wrapped his hands around your shoulders.

              Will your friendship eventually end like this with the twins? Does this mean your dream on living with Yongguk for the entire life will not happen?

              "When are you going?" You asked, having a little bit of hope inside of you that he would be moving in a weeks' time so that the both of you was able to spend more time together before him moving.

              "T-Tomorrow." Your heart fell and you felt like your whole body was numb. You tried not to believe anything Yongguk said but it really bothered you.

              "Why didn't you tell me before?! You should have told me earlier!" You blew up. You didn't mean to scream at Yongguk but your anger got the best out of you. You looked at the little boy in front of you and sighed.

             "Mianhe. I just don't want you to be thinking of me that much since I'm going off soon. We may not meet each other anymore." Tears started rolling your cheeks when you heard the words that you hated the most, coming out from his mouth.

             Yongguk turned to you, "Do me a favour? Keep this. This shows my love for you." You opened up your palm and saw your friendship bracelet that you had with the twins.

             The two of you were only 5 and 6 years old respectively but you already understood the meaning of love. Love does not matter the age but the affection towards each other and that was what you had between the two of you.

             You clenched the bracelet in your palm and let another tear roll down. You were not ready to let your brothers, who you have spent your entire life with go away. You can't especially let go of your first love. Yongguk meant everything to you. He was the reason why you would always wake up with excitement, knowing that you'll be meeting him anytime. He was the reason why you were not easily bullied. He was the reason why you feel safe.

             After all these years, he was going to move somewhere further than you and you can't guarantee that the both of you will eventually meet again. You went home and cried over it. You were not going to meet your best friends anymore. Today was the last day you'll be meeting the twins and you cringed at the thought. Nonetheless, you knew that you can't miss the chance bidding farewell to them.

             "Honey, are you ready?" Your mom called out. You scurriedly went down the stairs and huddled yourself on your mom's leg. A pair of sorrowful eyes looked down at you, pitying that you had to go through this reality. On the other hand, Yongguk and Yongnam were waiting anxiously for your arrival.

             Yongguk knew he broke your heart and it would be better if he didn't meet you since the both of you will soon forget about each other. But deep inside, he really was longing to see you. He wanted to see your chubby looking face for the last time in his 6 years' of life, knowing that the chances of meeting you again was thin.

             "Yongguk!" Your chirpy voice attracted his attention, making him turn his small head to find the source of the voice. He flashed his gummy smile as soon as he saw the small and petite you running away from your mother's grip to meet him. His gummy smile had always been a charmer.

             "You came!" Yongguk threw his arms to you as he wrapped you into his bear hug. Yongnam joined in too when he saw the reunion.

             "Yah, don't forget about me when you're there." You called out, trying your best not to let another tear escape.

             "What makes you think we will? Let's stay in contact and who knows, we might see each other again." Yongguk handed out his hand, while the both of you exchanged your secret handshake. It was a simple brofist, slap on the palm and twirled pinky.

             "Yongguk, let's go." A tall and slender hazelnut browned hair woman sniffed, hiding her tears while handing out her hand to Yongguk.

             "Guess it's time to leave already." Yongguk gave a small smile, accepting his mother's hand. You stayed back in your mom's embrace, gritting your teeth when you saw the twins walking away.

             "Take care and stay safe, Yongguk oppa!" You called out.


             Yongguk waved and let out a stunning smile. He finally heard the word that he wanted to be called for a long time from you. It made his stomach flutter when the word 'oppa' came out from your mouth. You cried silently as you saw his shadow drifting further and further away from you. Reality was cruel enough to separate your love ones but there's nothing you could possibly do about it.
 

***

             The screams from your alarm clock shot you wide awake. You jolted from your pillow with your forehead and whole body full of sweat. You had that dream again. The one that had been haunting you since the day Yongguk left you. It was always the same dream keep playing in your dreams.

             It had become much more frequent, making it even harder to forget him because you know you wouldn't have the chance to meet him again. Soon, you found yourself walking alone to school. A crowd of students started filling the hallway as most of them were chatting amongst themselves incoherently. You made your way to the locker, getting your respective books when someone joined in with you.

             "Yoora! Have you done the assignment that Ms Jung gave?" Yuna came rushing to you with her bag all over the place in a messy way. You chuckled at your friend looking how disoriented she could be and nodded. Without hesitation, you took out the assignment and passed it to her. You knew she was just giving you a slight hint that she didn't do and she needed your work as a help.


             "Thank you, you're a lifesaver!" She squealed and ran off to her class. You were just an average girl in this school, not popular and not that nerdy. You did not have much friends ever since you became anti social. That was when your mother passed away 2 years ago.

             It seemed like your whole world had collapsed and there was no reason for you to live anymore when everything you fond of was gone in your life forever. It was just terrible. The day your mother died was like a torturing day for you. Supports and condolences from everyone wasn't enough but it made you cringe even more.

             That was the day when you need someone to hold you and cradle you to bed. Someone like Yongguk. You hadn't forgot about the twins yet which made your life twice as hard. It was a blessing that Yuna stayed beside you till the very end eventhough you changed. Your life was dull now and you honestly didn't know what you should do with your life. What was the point of living in this world when the people who left are no longer there beside you?

             You grabbed the sides of your book and walked down the hallway to your first class. You sat at your usual place, at the back of the class as soon as you reached the room. You were not a loner but you just wanted to be alone and you thought that it was much better being a loner because in that case, you don't have any problems faced with your peers.

             As soon as the teacher came in, everyone started rushing into their seats and getting ready for the lesson to start. You groaned, today was definitely going to be a long day and you just wished that it had been better to skip school just now.

             "Alright class, I want all of you to hand in your assignment that I gave you yesterday." Ms Jung's loud voice boomed across the room. Yuna took a glance at me and handed in both of our assignments together.

             "Class, we have a new student with us today and I want you to meet him." Everyone diverted their attention to the tall and well built guy who had broad shoulders. Girls started squealing in delight and admiring him.

             You shrugged, he was alright. He is handsome and his body is also well-proportioned. Nothing really special about this new kid. You dazed away, not paying attention to what the teacher was talking about. But then, your ears shot up and attention diverted to the guy who was smiling away.

             "Annyeonghaseyo, I'm Bang Yongguk and I just transferred from TS High." Your eyes wandered at his face.

             Is it him? Is it really the guy that you've been falling in love since you were little? 

 

whoop, first chapter done!

so, how do you guys think? yay or nay?

do subscribe, comment & upvote! muaaa xx