Silences, Truths and Tears

Failing Chemistry

* Amber POV *

When we got back to the house, I ran up stairs and locked myself in the bathroom. The tears just wouldn’t stop. It looked like my bed had been drenched in water.

I couldn’t believe Jonghyun Oppa would treat my boyfriend that way. I’d never seen that side of my brother. He’d never been angry around me. It was…somewhat…scary. That was partly the reason I was crying so much.

Jonghyun Oppa had knocked on the door a few times asking to come in, but I hadn’t said anything, and he’d gone away again.

I’d finally calmed down enough to sleep when there was another knock on the door.

“Amber-ah?” I heard him say, muffled by the door slightly. “It’s getting late; you’d better eat something,” he knocked again. I didn’t want to open the door; I was too comfortable in my bed to get up.

“Can I come in?” he sighed after hearing nothing from me. “Amber! Please,” he was whining now.

“Araaaasso,” I said sighing. How could my big brother, who was strong and tough, end up whining to make me eat something?

He sat down beside me on the bed, placing a tray on my lap.

“I made this for you, I hope you like it,” he smiled at me.

“I don’t want to eat that,” I said turning my head away. Although it looked good, I wasn’t going to give him that satisfaction.

“Well, what would you like to eat? I’ll make anything for you,” he said. He was trying to win me over. Well, it wasn’t going to work. “How about ramen?” he asked hopefully.

“I want Key,” I said simply. His expression turned into disappointment.

“Why do you insist on him like that? Does it make sense for you to be pining over him? He’s a miserable git!” he spat. I winced at his spiteful words about Key Oppa.

“Why do you hate him so much, Jonghyun Oppa? What did he ever do to you?” I asked, really interested in what Key Oppa had done to upset Jonghyun Oppa like this.

He sighed and made himself more comfortable on my bed.

“When I was in middle school, I was Kibum’s sunbae. He was a really nice kid; always friendly towards girls. But when his Umma died, he turned cold hearted,”

“Yeah…but what did he do?” I asked crossing my legs.

“There was this girl I liked, but she didn’t like me, she liked Kibum. It was only after his Umma died that she confessed to him. He was so horrid about it. He said things like: ‘Why should I go out with you? Do you think my hearts the same as yours? I’ll never love anyone so bold,’ and she started crying right in front of the whole class. I couldn’t do anything, I wanted to hurt Kibum, just like he’d hurt her, but I didn’t know how. And then I promised myself to never let myself, or anyone I loved, get hurt by him. That’s why I’m trying to protect you, Amber-ah; he’s a cold hearted monster!”

I wasn’t expecting that. I thought that they’d been in some sort of silly fight. But the Key Oppa I knew was definitely not like that at all. He was kind and sweet. And he loved me. Me! Of all people he could love.

I was happy that I knew why Jonghyun Oppa had reacted so irrationally.

“You don’t know him now, Oppa! He’s completely different with me. He told me he loves me. And I think I love him back,” his jaw dropped to the ground.

“What do you mean you love him back?” he asked shocked.

“Oppa! Calm down. I told you, he changed. Do you know what he’d like now? Have you been spending time with him?” I asked rhetorically. “How can you say horrid things about him, when you don’t know him anymore?”

* Key POV *

The familiar dull pain in my feet came back as I trudged home, dragging my suit case behind me. I hoped that Appa was out. That way I wouldn’t have to see him.

I opened the door and took my shoes off. The house seemed quiet. Please be at work! I left my case by the door and carried my other bags through to the kitchen.

I walked into the kitchen to find him sitting at the kitchen table with a bottle of whiskey in his hand. Oh God! He was drunk.

“Appa, you should rest, it’s not good to drink so much,” I said setting my bags down on the table.

“Ahh…Kibum,” he slurred. “You’re home late,” he said looking up at me.

“Ne, Appa, I just got back from my trip,” I said sitting down beside him. I was alright as long as I tiptoed around him, like I was walking on broken glass. I was alright as long as his memory didn’t back track to before Umma died.

“And…how was it?” he asked taking a swig from the bottle.

“It was very good,” I said truthfully, smiling at the memory of Amber until it faded as the memory of Jonghyun Sunbae pushing me to the floor.

“That face…it doesn’t look like you had a good time,” he said chuckling darkly. I wrinkled my nose up at his smell. It had only just hit me.

“The trip was good, what happened after it wasn’t,” I explained putting my head down on the table.

“Want to talk about it?” he asked grinning dizzily.

“You won’t remember it if I tell you now,” I said. He was too intoxicated with alcohol to be remembering things like that in the morning.

“I got fired…Kibum…” he said putting the bottle down on the table. It made such a loud bang that my head shot up from the table and my eyes were wide with fear. What if he turns? What if his memory went back?

“I’ll…have to get a part-time job then,” I said carefully, trying to avoid making him angry.

I didn’t want to get a part-time job if it meant not being able to spend more time with Amber…if I ever got to see her again, that is.

Jonghyun Sunbae must still be angry about when happened with that girl in middle school. Poor sod, I don’t think he’s ever been in love before. Probably why he took Amber away from me.

Life !

~~ <3 ~~

YO!!! next chapter :D its a little shorter than i'd planned but its still a chapter :) i got a new phone yesterday...and IT WAS FREE!!!! its a nokia c5 but it's still good :D no sim card yet, but its so exciting! i lost my old a month ago so its really good having a new one :) hope you guys enjoyed this chappy!!! until the next chapter!!! <3