Chapter 8 (Tao)

Story 1 (mama)

 

"How about we go out for a bowl of soup tonight? I know I've worked up an appetite." The guy had a nice smile. And that coupled with his doe like eyes, made it really hard for Zitao to refuse. But he didn't want anyone to find out his secret. Not even the quite possibly most perfect looking man in the world. So he declined politely each time with a deep bow. He could tell the man had been making an effort to catch him on his way out and for that he was flattered. No one had ever shown interest in him before so he had given up on having a boyfriend. He was ok with that.
 
But the man had persisted until one day, Zitao didn't want to say no. He found his lips forming and his throat pressing out a quiet "Okay." Which was rewarded with one of his companion's warm smiles. And an "Okay." back. 
 
 
The noodle place they went to was within walking distance since neither of them owned a car. Zitao could have gotten his chauffeur to bring a car around quickly but he thought maybe it would scare the other guy off. Zitao wasn't from the nicest of families and he wasn't about to lay that out in front of a complete stranger. And the other boy seemed happy to walk anyway. Even stated as much. 
 
They were seated with food ordered before his new friend broke the silence that he himself couldn't have. 
 
"Maybe we should introduce ourselves first. We don't even know eachother's names." He exclaimed as if it was the most rediculous thing. "I'm Luhan."
 
"Zitao." Zitao mumbled avoiding eye contact. He wasn't good at making friends. And even worse at trying to date. Which he hoped this was but he wasn't gonna delude himself. 
 
"Great. Not a man of many words but I like the strong silent type." Did Luhan just say he liked him? "But I brought you out to get to know you better. Like um, what do you practice in the holo room? I notice you don't always bring your sword." Luhan prodded. 
 
"Uh, yeah. Just some marshal arts. Wushu, weapons. Stuff like that." He left out the other part. What he had said was revealing enough already. No one, save for his family, knew what he could do. And even they didn't understand it. How could they know what happened in time lost or slowed or sped up? No one knew how or why it happened. They couldn't even begin to feel what he did. 
 
"That is so cool!" Luhan stated excitedly before slurping in a big mouthful of noodles from the bowl that had been set before him. Zitao looked at his own bowl and watched it steam. He wondered why his was steaming slower than Luhan's and he stopped himself immediately. Fortunately Luhan didn't seem to notice. They never did when they weren't in the moment so Zitao decided he had nothing to worry about.
 
 
They ate in silence but when Zitao had finished all the meat and noodles leaving only the brothy part, he asked: "What do you do in your practice room?" It was a question out of politeness since he guessed he hadn't been overly polite these last few weeks. Maybe Luhan was lonely and just trying to make a friend. 
 
Luhan coughed a little then smiled again. "You wouldn't believe me if I told you." He looked sheepishly at Zitao as if judging his reaction. Since Zitao had no idea what Luhan was going to say next, he remained silent. Which for some reason Luhan took as eager interest, so Luhan stared onto his eyes then down at the table. A hint that Zitao should look where he was. They both stared at the vinegar bottle as it slowly moved from Luhan's side of the table to his. And for a moment, all Zitao could hear was his own breath loudly in his ears. What had just happened?
 
"I'm trusting you not to tell anyone." Luhan pleaded quietly. "It's not something that should get around. Don't ask me why, but I just have this feeling."
 
What Zitao did next was incredibly stupid in its impulsiveness. He wasn't thinking clearly, he would tell himself later. But at the time, he just had to do it. He slapped some money down on the table, probably way too much, and grabbed Luhan by the arm to drag him outside. He glanced around when they made it to the back alley. This was the most reckless thing he'd ever done and he didn't want to get caught doing it. 
 
"Stand close to me." He ordered and Luhan took a step closer. He took out a little bag of glitter from his pocket. The one he hadn't used all of in practice. He learned that he couldn't trust the computer to give him real props. 
 
As soon as the pieces of shining paper was released into the air he stopped time. And they just hung there looking like an eternal shower.
 
"Wow." Luhan brushed them away physically at first, then without touching them a few moment later. "This is amazing." His voice was filled with awe. "We have got to practice together sometime."