Chapter 18 (Sehun)

Story 1 (mama)

 

He'd been batting around the idea of talking to his parents for weeks now. Kai had told him to but he wasn't sure he wanted to hear what they had to say, if they were going to keep lying to him. It pissed him off that they'd kept him in the dark for so long, but considering they moved so much even before he developed his powers and made their lives miserable, maybe they had a reason. He'd hear them out. 
 
*
 
"Okay I want some answers, now! Who, no what, am I? What's going on that I don't know? You know, I should be informed if I'm going to save the world or something." 
 
His mom looked at him with a strange clarity. "How do you know?" Not: 'what do you know?' 
 
His dad didn't even make eye contact. 
 
"Were you guys thinking of never telling me? Seriously?" He couldn't believe he wouldn't have been told in some coming of age revelation. Even being of age now. 
 
"We hoped we wouldn't have to. We didn't want the 12 to unite again. After the original 12 came here and lost their powers, we thought there was hope for the future. We would protect the tree until we died and maybe after that..." She trailed off.
 
"Wait, forget this crap about a tree and the 12. It sounds kinda like some kids book we had to read in school. Are you trying to tell me that you didn't want me?" If that's what he thought she meant, he would hop the next puff of smoke outta here when Kai came back. 
 
"Honey, we love you.." She began but his dad interrupted her with the first words he said the entire confession. 
 
"Don't sugar coat it, Mer. We didn't want a baby and he should know that. But he is also old enough to know why. To know the truth. And frankly we should have told him years ago. He's a bright kid. He would have understood what we were telling him. But first, I need to know: who told you about what you are?" When he finally looked at Sehun, his eyes were really intense. Like he was looking into Sehun's soul. He couldn't remember a time when his parents had seemed so acutely aware.
 
They had always seemed a little dense. Not stupid but in a constant state of naivety. Nice and placid. Like cows. And he got away with so much. Been a little bit spoiled if he could say that himself. But now the 180 turn freaked him out a little, like they were strangers. 
 
"Well, there's this guy who comes around when I'm doing my practice. You know, making wind tunnels and that kind of thing. Anyway, he just pops in out of nowhere and leaves the same way," 
 
"Wesley's son," His mom nodded pointedly at his dad. "We have to get out of here. The others can trace him easily. Damn, we should have made the parameter wider."
 
"We'll know for next time." His dad got up and bounded upstairs. Sehun stood as his mother did too. 
 
"Pack whatever you really need. Only things you can't do without. We can always buy more in the next town." She turned away toward the stairs too. 
 
"No, wait. We can't go. I just met Kai. And the butterfly. I think that's important. How will they know how to find me?" He hated how whiny and childlike his voice came out as. 
 
"Sehun, with any luck they won't be able to find you." She said with widened eyes. 
 
"But what if I want to stay. Can't I?"
 
"No you can't." His father came around the corner. "We can't let them get you no matter what. We will even resort to tying you up if that's what it takes."
 
It was the first time he'd ever seen his father so irritated. It was said in a way that Sehun knew that his father meant it. So he went to his room and packed his suitcase. 
 
 
As they were on the road driving within the hour, Sehun had to ask. "Why am I a secret? Why didn't you want me?"
 
"Are you ready for this?" His mom asked taking a deep breath. "I don't even think I am. It's a really long story."
 
"Long stories are our car ride tradition." He reminded her.
 
She laughed softly. "You're right. Well, I guess it all started a long time ago. About, 500 years ago for us. But really, it's as old as time itself..."