Chapter 35 (Kai)

Story 1 (mama)

They weren't actually prisoners there in Kenneth's house seeing as they were all waiting to hear back from the other side. But the way the older man was looking at everyone, eyes darting around as if studying their actions, unnerved Jongin a little more than he wanted to admit. And they were already as nervous as they could get. Luhan tried to calm his mother before finally leading her off to another part of the house. Chanyeol and Tao playing a hand-slapping game then leg-wrestling then stutter-singing back and forth. Kenneth didn't seem too happy with their constant horsing-around but he didn't stop them either. Jongin guessed that it was something the two of them did often enough for it to have become only a slight annoyance to Kenneth. And it did seem like it helped to break the tension in the room a bit. 


The only person who was still ridged was Minseok. Clutching the mirror in his white-knuckled hands, he hadn't said more than a few words all evening. And his uncle beside him wasn't any better. Staring almost lifelessly in Kenneth's direction before looking down at Minseok briefly then back again. Like he was waiting for something.


The only thing Jongin had to be thankful for was his boyfriend's hand in his. After he'd come back from dropping Lay off and his brief mission to Chanyeol's old place, he'd updated them all with the non-existent information Chanyeol's family could offer. All they could do now was wait and hope that they could trust Nicolas and Philip. It was too bad they didn't have a member who could communicate telepathically. 


He paused at the thought when something clicked into place, and he looked at Jongdae. How had he not thought of this before. Sure it could be dangerous, but if it worked he could also ask Chanyeol to attempt it too. Though he had his suspicions that the latter wouldn't be able to do it. He pulled his boyfriend up off the couch toward the hallway excusing them both for being a bit tired. That they would just have a quick nap and be right back to wait to hear back from Lay. 


He didn't miss the shock in Minseok's eyes, the distaste in Kenneth's and the amusement in Chanyeol's before he turned to head down the hall with Jongdae in tow. 


*


"I'm sorry, Kai. We don't know anything." Chanyeol's sister said softly. "I wish we did."


"We have been worried since he hasn't been home for a while." Jae added. Her eyes telling the truth. Chanyeol was as much of a son to her as he real one. "He's been keeping strange hours, but then again he's always been a little bit odd. You must know that, right?"


Kai wondered how much Chanyeol's family really knew. Obviously not very much. Or maybe they were just hiding it from a guy they had never seen before but insisted was a friend. Maybe they were waiting for him to open up before they would. 


"Well, I know he could be in trouble." He revealed in a calm voice. He didn't want them getting too scared for no reason. "Does your husband know anything?" He asked, hopeful. 


"He doesn't get home for another hour or so. You can wait inside. Oh, gods, I hope you're not right and Chanyeol is just off at his boyfriend's house." She led the way inside and the water kettle. "He thinks we don't know," She chuckled lightly. "but we do. She," Jae gestured to Chanyeol's sister. "even seen them downtown one night looking pretty friendly."


The young woman laughed. "Chanyeol just had his arm around the guy, mom. And they went inside a building before I could call out to him. Though the guy he was with is really cute." She added. Jongin snickered. No one had ever called Kyungsoo cute in the time that he'd known the guy. 'Scary' was alway the word used the most. 


He didn't offer any information to them about Kyungsoo or who his father was. Maybe the less they knew the better. And when Kyung came home the man also had no other information either. And at the end of the visit he knew a whole lot more about the person that they only thought of as Chanyeol but he'd left them with more worry than they should have for completely innocent bystanders.