Chapter 5 (Lay and Xiumin)

Story 1 (mama)

 

"Okay. Get ready I think he's going to do it!" Minseok set the mirror in front of the flower vase. If he guessed right, the other boy would have a power too and he would try to use it right away. He was only guessing and maybe nothing would happen but it was worth a shot. 
 
Yixing began to revive the flower slowly. Still using his power but very lightly so it would take longer. In case the other boy needed time to use his. There was a flash of light that made Yixing close his eyes for a few seconds but he opened them quickly as the light dissipated. As he looked in the mirror a face appeared that was definitely not his own but rather a boyish looking one with intense eyes. He didn't believe in love at first sight, but there was something there that he couldn't explain. Like he and the guy on the other side were connected more deeply than he'd ever felt with anyone in his life. The image was gone so quickly he didn't even have time to try and talk to him. And the sense of loss reached deep into his chest. Icy and final. "So cold." He whispered to himself. 
 
"Oh sorry, Xing." Minseok looked at him apologetically and retracted the frost on the walls. He wasn't so good at taking his power back as he was at bringing it out. He thought Yixing would have been used to it by now. 
 
"No, not that Min." There was still a spaced out look on his friend's face. "Did you um, feel something for the guy on the other side of the mirror? I mean, did you feel strange when he looked at you?"
 
Minseok smiled. Yixing had always had a soft heart. Falling in love so easily with almost everyone he met. It was probably because his power was so deeply rooted in his heart. You have to love to heal, right? "So you're in love again?" He wanted to add more but he knew better than to tease at a time like this. He hadn't fell in love with the man in the mirror but that didn't stop him from having an intense curiosity for him. 
 
Yixing snapped out of it. "It's not like that." He protested. "There is really something different about this feeling. Here, give me the book." He reached for the old worn out book that they had found in the trunk along with the small hand mirror and heavy cloak. In its ledges were scrawlings of possible translations and between the pages, yellowed papers full of more and more odd symbols and again translations to go with it. Some from Minseok's uncle, and some from the two of them. 
 
 
They had found the small trunk in the attic of Minseok's new house, his uncle's house, when Minseok had moved there last year. And had made fast friends with the ever bullied Yixing. Even with a power as amazing as healing, Yixing had still been ostracized. Teased every day for being different. And it didn't help that he'd cry so easily when they did so. Minseok knew at the time he had to make friends with the guy. Because he too had something special about him. And that was something they could share. 
So they began doing stuff together. Crazy experiments that some people might have called cruel but they never actually hurt anything. And they found out that they made a really good team.
 
 
First just on plants. Flowers mostly cause they could really see the difference when it happened. But they moved on, after much insisting from Yixing, to small animals. Rats and squirrels. They'd really never thought of it as bad, because Yixing knew he could do it. He could bring the animal back to life. 
 
It freaked Minseok out, though. His power shouldn't have to be used this way. He was now the evil to Yixing's good. And he had a hard time dealing with it. It made his heart a little icy and hallow just like the power he possessed. 
But Yixing had a way of healing even a person's emotions. And even for all he teased, Minseok kinda wanted the guy to fall in love with him. 
 
 
It had just been that morning sitting in the dining room, trying to figure out what was up with that mirror. A favourite pastime for the two boys. When Minseok had felt the drip of water out of nowhere. He looked up knowing it wasn't his ice melting since he hadn't froze at the time. But it hadn't come from the roof leaking. It hadn't come from anywhere. And something told him to use his power so he froze the little drops of water and out of the corner of his eye he noticed the image in the mirror. Not his reflection. It startled him breathless but then the guy's face was gone. But he immediately called Yixing into the room. Hoping that what he had seen was real and not him going insane from all the animal killing he had done. 
 
 
"It's real." Yixing was saying. Bringing him out of his memories. "If I'm reading this correctly," he pointed to the symbols on the wheel. "The drop could be your guy and the sun shaped one could be mine."
 
Minseok hated how he called the boy in the mirror his. 
 
 
"But which ones are we? Are you this other star one? It looks like it could be snow. I really wish this was more clear." Yixing frowned in concentration. He didn't like the vibes he was getting from the boy across the table, but he had no time for tantrums. What they'd been hoping this whole time was actually becoming a reality. They weren't alone. And according to this book, there were ten others. And they had a purpose. He had a purpose. It made him incredibly happy.