Chapter 15 (Louis and Meredith)

Story 1 (mama)

 

They had been the first to leave. Setting up a new life far away from the others. Knowing that the next war was coming. Not soon, but it was inevitable. They needed to give themselves a chance to stop it before it even started. So they refused to keep contact with any of them. Setting up barriers in every new town they moved to. Moving frequently. And keeping none of their old possessions. They also refused to have a baby. This war would end with their generation. Without the power of wind, the 12 forces could never again be united for the evil they had brought to the old world. Even inadvertent evil as it had been. 
 
*
 
"How do we know we can trust them? How do we know they won't just kill us in our sleep?"
 
"The computers are programmed. As well as the helpers. We will be safe."
 
"Computers can be reprogrammed, Louis."
 
"Calm down, Mer." He held his wife's hands gently. "If Arthur wanted us dead, we already would be victims of the war. He needs us. But we can make sure that when we get there, nothing like this will ever happen."
 
She turned away. "Don't we deserve to die? All of us? Let these innocent people leave for the better world."
 
"You know they wouldn't have the strength or desire to care for the tree like we do. We need to go." He reminded her. "But we don't have to make the same mistakes again." 
 
*
 
She sat on the living room sofa crying. At first it had been body wracking sobs that she couldn't control, but when he found her it had dissipated to whimpers. She couldn't even look up. 
 
"What is it?" He asked. Dread creeping into his voice. Had they been contacted somehow? "Are you hurt?"
 
"In a manner of speaking." Her voice came out all scratchy. And she pointed to the item on the coffee table. He looked and immediately paled. 
 
"It can't be. This can't happen."
 
"Oh, can't it? We haven't been all that careful lately."
 
"But, we're so... old."
 
"Well, I guess we're not." She practically shouted. And he hugged her. It was too late now. They were going to have their baby. And they knew it would be a boy.