Chapter 4 (Suho and Baekhyun)

Story 1 (mama)

 

To say Joonmyun and Baekhyun's family was rich would be an understatement. They were filthy freaking loaded. They lived in what was practically a castle and they were being trained for some kind of future battle by all the best masters. But none of the masters knew how to help them control their powers. No one had ever experienced something like this before so how could they? They were basing all their assumptions on an archaic myth.
 
And who even knew if that's what they had developed the powers for? For all they knew, Joonmyun and his cousin Baekhyun could have been fed drugs or hormones or something as children. Genetically altered by their rich parents who had pretty much chosen everything else about their physique. Even down to their intense eyes. Down to their pale skin.
 
But at least they had eachother. And the hall of monitors. Mirrors to everyone else, but something more to them. Because they knew how to unlock them.
 
 
Joonmyun happened upon the secret one day while exploring. The two of them were constantly poking around the giant house in attempt to find some answers to what they could possibly be. And be used for. There was plenty of evidence in old books with ancient language they, or anyone else for that matter, couldn't read. Symbols decorated walls and sometimes whole rooms that they made stories about. If they couldn't learn the language, they would have to make it up. Joonmyun picked the raindrop looking one for himself and Baekhyun liked the star. Then they pretended people for the other ones. Sometimes their families.
 
*'Say your dad is that dragon one and my dad is the bird one and they fly ahead to stop the red force. And then we come there and I blind him and you throw the whole ocean on him.' 
 
When they were kids it was easier to believe the stories. And the red force was always a giant lava spewing demon that they could easily eliminate. When they were kids they also wished the other symbols were superheroes they loved from movies. It would be much easier to kill the monster with Captain Electric on their side. 
 
And as they grew older they gave up believing in the legend. Who knew what the symbols meant? Or even if there was a deeper meaning in all of it except for a long ago story. 
 
 
But all that changed when they discovered what the monitor hallway could do. 
 
"Baekhyun," Joonmyun found his cousin flipping through the pages of one of the old books again. Baekhyun looked up to see Joonmyun's face lit up with excitement. "You will not believe what I just found out!" He reached down to help the other boy off the floor and they ran, fingers interlaced, through the house to the mirror hallway. 
 
"Okay, this is so cool." Joonmyun tipped over a flower vase and started to make a water sphere in his hand. 
 
"That is pretty cool," Baekhyun drawled, clearly unamused. It was nothing he hadn't seen before. "How do you get it so round?"
 
"Oh, shut up and watch." Just for that he felt like making it an elaborate show. Twisting the water around in the air before splashing it against one of the mirrors. 
 
"You're cleaning that up." Baekhyun remarked but stopped to look at what had formed in the mirror. Joonmyun has swiped his hand across the surface and the reflection had not been his own. The mousy looking face of another boy stared back at them. Clearly he could see them as well. He was saying something that they couldn't hear. And they tried shouting at him too but he just shook his head. So it wasn't a real communication device. Or maybe they just weren't strong enough, yet. 
 
"Woah." Baekhyun exclaimed as the image disappeared. Water already dropped completely off the glass. "I wonder if mine works too." And he began to charge the light to condense it to the palms of his hands.