Chapter 20 (Kai and Chen)

Story 1 (mama)

 

It was one of those beautiful and serene mornings again when Jongdae met Jongin on the beach. They had decided that coming here on specific days and times would keep them from missing each other. It wasn't long before it started to feel like they were dating. For Jongdae especially since he'd never known anyone else with powers. But even for Jongin who knew he shouldn't be doing this. Keeping Jongdae a secret the way he had been for months now. And why had he been so secretive? The others deserved to know just as much as he did. Was he just being possessive? Thinking that if Jongdae and Kyungsoo met, that they would realize they had been dreaming of eachother this whole time? Were, in fact, soulmates. And where would that leave Jongin? He wouldn't be so special to Jongdae anymore. 
 
But he realized he couldn't keep it a secret after he had finally met Suho and Baekhyun. He had the answers to Jongdae's questions about himself. And he knew that even if Jongdae was pissed off that he'd taken this long to tell him, the guy deserved to know all that he knew himself. 
 
 
"You know, I used to come out here all the time. Before I finally found you." Jongdae looked over at Jongin staring out across the sea. He slid his hand closer on the log, touching Jongin's fingers with his own. their pinky and ring fingers along each other.
 
Jongin turned his head and looked back sorrowfully at the boy. "I have something to tell you. I should have told you sooner, but I... I really didn't know much myself, either. You've got to believe me. So, I'm sorry but don't be too mad okay?" He now gripped Jongdae's hand tightly. He took a deep breath in attempt to settle his nerves.
 
Jongdae looked at him in curiosity but not eagerness. Sensing it wasn't going to be all good news. His time with Jongin was always so fleeting and the only thing he hoped was that Jongin wasn't going to tell him that he couldn't come around anymore. They hadn't even got to yet. However that would have worked. And Jongdae was actually developing feelings for the guy. He wasn't just a dream. Jongin was a real, tangible person who had made him feel less afraid than he had been before he'd shown up. So he answered very cautiously. "Okay. I'll try not to get mad."
 
"Well, I guess I'll start out by saying that we are not alone. There are others like us. 12 in total, or so we're guessing. Me and these two guys that I just met, think that all our powers combined will mean something. I've seen some in action, and they are amazing."
 
"So you've met more like us? Since just recently or have you known them the whole time?" Jongdae interrupted. The look of knowing he'd been betrayed creeping across his face. 
 
"That's why I said not to be mad. I've met 6 others since I've been teleporting like this." He rushed right into the confession. "Wind, water, light, fire, telekenisis and... my friend Kyungsoo. The boy that you dream about. He's so strong." Jongin didn't want to be telling him this but if he was already going this far. "He dreams about you too."
 
Jongdae breathed heavily. This was too much. Was it just a crazy story Jongin was telling him to make him feel like he wasn't so alone? Was it supposed to be comforting to hear that his closest friend had been lying to him the entire time they were together? "Does he know?" He whispered the question. 
 
Jongin knew what he was asking. "I didn't tell him. Chen I'm sorry, I was so selfish. This place, and you. I wanted to keep it all to myself. My own bit of paradise. But I know I was wrong."
 
"Yeah, you were. You kept me from finding out who I really was. But, so did everyone else." Jongdae absently rubbed his forearm. "How did you find me, anyway? Why only now?"
 
"I don't know. Sometimes it's just like that. My power was weaker maybe. There's one guy I only see for a few seconds when I pop in then leave again. Maybe I'm just chasing power trails. But if there are really 12, why can't I ever find the last 4?"
 
"I think I know." Jongdae had accidentally fried the device in his arm long ago. But he still knew it had been there. It had glowed and tickled the bone every time he had used the power on that side. Even now he could feel it vibrate from time to time. "I had a blocking device. And if you can't get to the others, maybe they do too."
 
"A blocking device? What is that?" Jongin was glad Jongdae had seemed to move on from his anger quickly with the distraction this was causing, but he could tell that the new subject didn't make him any happier. 
 
"It's exactly as it sounds. Well, the way it works is like a security system. For rich people and people on the run. My dad makes them. Obviously, we're neither but he probably just needed to test them on someone first. Though why he hadn't ever told me I had one is a little weird." Jongdae pursed his lips in thought. 
 
Jongin felt even worse now. The guy had been lied to his whole life. And even though he'd lived pretty decently, there were just some things someone should know about themselves. "What if I told you that you were probably both?"