Chapter 30 (Kenneth and Luhan)

Story 1 (mama)

"She did it to herself, you know. It might not be what you want to hear, but I think you deserve to know." Kenneth's eyes were void of emotion so Luhan knew he was telling the truth not to be cruel, but just to .. what, clarify something? "She has so many secrets in there. Locked inside that brain of hers that she didn't want to let out. She and your father helped Dominic to perfect the chemical. The three of them were brilliant together. They made the one that is now imprisioning my son."


"And you need my mother to do what? Find a cure?" Luhan looked warily at his mother. She sat placidly on the other sofa staring at Kenneth. Almost in a trance like state. But she frowned slightly as if she was trying to place where she knew the man from. He wanted to shake her out of it. Yell at her until he got some sort of response. But he was sure that wouldn't go over well with her son. 


"I think she's been in contact with Arthur." He confessed. "But I wouldn't know how. As far as I know there are only a couple monitors left and those are at my place."


"Monitors? What is that?" Luhan looked confused. 


"It's a type of computer that we brought here from the other world. The one we destroyed with our greed and selfishness. We shouldn't have brought any technology but with the replicators and artificials .. well, it seems we had so many exceptions already." He sighed. "Does she have one? A monitor?"


"No, I don't know. What does it look like?" 


Kenneth thought about the ones he used to have. "It's shiny, flat and bright. It almost looks like a mirror..." And he watched Luhan's face fall into a state of realization. 


"I didn't know. She's always confused and talks to herself or forgets that someone is there." He got up quickly and gestured for Kenneth to follow him to his mothers bedroom. He hadn't wanted to trust the man initially, but there were secrets he'd shared with the two boys as well so he knew he could show him this at least. "Here. She sits here a lot and just stares at herself, but once in a while I've caught the end of conversations she seems to be having. But, I didn't think it was real." He hung his head shamefully. 


Kenneth walked toward the mirror knowing already that it would work as soon as he touched it but Abigail hurried past him to stand in his way. They hadn't even heard her following them, but now she was blocking his path to the monitor with arms outstretched and wide, frightened eyes. 


"Don't." She hissed. "He's evil. He gets inside. Somewhere... And then uses that information against you. It's tricky." 


"Who..?" Luhan began. 


"It's Arthur." Kenneth answered for Abigail. "He's found a way to get into her memories. To use them."


"Doesn't that mean.. We're all in danger, then? That if other people have mirrors like hers, he could be able to watch them or contact them?" Luhan wasn't sure that was how they worked but it frightened him. And the affirmation of Kenneth's nod made it that much more real. 


"We could be falling into a trap right now." Kenneth looked deep into Abigail's eyes. Trying to read anything more than panic in them. "She might not be able to help it, but we can." He maneuvered Abigail behind him with one swift move and grabbed a hairbrush from the dressing table. Luhan jumped back and held his mother as Kenneth brought the brush crashing into the mirror. Shattering the front into holes of spiderweb design. Sparks flew up around the edges and it turned a strange rainbow colour in the places it had been struck. 


"Now what?" Luhan questioned as he looked back at the broken not-mirror. 


"Now... We meet the others. The alignment could happen soon. And we need to be prepared. And we need to rescue my son."